Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

what the hell is this garbage called "the ketchup song"???

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 10-30-02, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

this song is so annoying (im hearing it now for the first time), how this crap is on the radio is beyond me.
Old 10-30-02, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's actually a bit older than some of the songs out now...it was really popular in Europe last year. Irritating yes, but there's even a dance to go along with it. Like the macarena, but...uh, worse.
Old 10-30-02, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Shakes head
argg to this song.
Old 10-30-02, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: what the hell is this garbage called "the ketchup song"???

Originally posted by Rypro 525
this song is so annoying (im hearing it now for the first time), how this crap is on the radio is beyond me.
You mean you actually listen to the radio? lol.
Old 10-30-02, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What I think is funny is, per Newsweek, "...The gibberish chorus - 'majabi an de bugui an de buididipi'?? is a Spanish mangling of the oft-misheard lyrics to 'Rapper's Delight'. And, let's face it, the Sugarhill Gang's classic rap didn't make that much sense in the first place..."

There are worse songs out there, and you will only be hearing more and more of this song for the next six months or so (until it burns itself out, a la Macarena & Mambo #5, etc).

Of the above lyrics, I believe that the "bugui an de buididipi" portion of the lyrics are the mangled version of "the boogie to the boogie da beat" (from Rappers Delight).

Last edited by Heat; 10-30-02 at 11:30 PM.
Old 10-31-02, 01:10 AM

Yea, it's pretty big in Europe and now they're trying to make it a hit on this side of the pond. I always assumed that Europeans had better musical taste than Americans, but **** like this makes me wonder...
Old 10-31-02, 07:58 AM

Man, I heard about this song and the dance craze attatched with it on one the entertainment shows and I just had to shake my head. i was hoping that this is one craze that will not actually get popular over here, but I too have heard it on the radio (XM: channel top 20 on 20) I even saw the video on MTV Hits. Ok the women singing the song are attractive, but even the dance for this song is pathetic.
Old 10-31-02, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yatta!
Old 10-31-02, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts
Re: what the hell is this garbage called "the ketchup song"???

Originally posted by Rypro 525
Radio? Who needs a radio?

Mock...
Yeah...
ing....
Yeah...
Bird...
Yeah...
Yeah, yeah...
Old 10-31-02, 11:09 AM

The name alone is stupid and annoying.
Old 10-31-02, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 255 Likes on 163 Posts

1. Cross hands across torso, one on top of the other, 6 times.

2. Motion backwards with your thumbs, like you’re hitchiking, alternating hands.

3. Circle arms high and low, knock knees and shake your booty.
Old 10-31-02, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Catchy 'Ketchup' may bump 'Macarena' off dance floors
October 31, 2002

By MARK J. KONKOL RED STREAK

Beware: The next "Macarena" could be coming soon to a wedding reception near you.

"The Ketchup Song (Hey Ha)," already a chart-topper in Europe and Latin America, has become the rage on dance and Latin music radio stations here since its U.S. release early this month. The dance steps that go with it give the Spanish pop song the potential to match the Macarena craze of the mid-1990s.

"This is a love-hate song: People either love it or hate it," says Chris Shebel, program manager at Energy 92.7 FM, where it's a Top 10 request.

It's sung by the Munoz sisters -- Lola, 29, Lucia, 26, and Pilar, 19, who call themselves Las Ketchup, in tribute to their famous father, flamenco guitarist Tomate.

The lyrics are, intentionally, jibberish. Like the chorus, "Asereje ja de je de jebe tu de jebere seibiunouva/ Majavi an de bugui an de buididpi," a take off on the 1979 hit "Rapper's Delight" by the Sugar Hill Gang.

The line dance's steps make the "Ketchup" dance a lot like the "Macarena."

In Europe, folks have been shaking it since summer, Shebel says. "I was in Prague last week and saw someone do it all the way until all her clothes were off. I don't think that's part of the dance. All I could think was: 'All right-y, then!' "
Old 10-31-02, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by GuessWho

2. Motion backwards with your thumbs, like you’re hitchiking, alternating hands.

Ha, that beauty sure makes me wanna dance.......
Old 11-01-02, 07:52 PM

man.... where's "The Chicken Dance" when ya really need it ?
Old 11-01-02, 11:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This song is awesome...
Old 11-02-02, 03:07 AM

Originally posted by Wag The Frog
Yea, it's pretty big in Europe and now they're trying to make it a hit on this side of the pond. I always assumed that Europeans had better musical taste than Americans, but **** like this makes me wonder...
I'm stationed in Germany, and that is an incorrect assumption. I have never heard more crap than what I hear on the German radio stations.

Last edited by tboogie; 11-02-02 at 03:15 AM.
Old 11-02-02, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Da Thrilla

This song is awesome...
eh...hmm..er...uh...
Old 11-02-02, 11:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It looks like I am in the minority, but I actually like the song. Not enough to buy it, but enough that I've downloaded it.

Then again, I like Spanish rock and pop in general, so my liking this song (though I hate the name) isn't a suprise. I'd much rather listen to this song that anything by Eminem and the vast majority of rap "aritsts", who consistently puts out crap.

And no, I've not danced the dance.
Old 11-03-02, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Saw the vid for the first time to day, looks like something out of a Spanish holiday resort.
Old 11-03-02, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This song was in Otter months ago as a possible Macarena replacement.
Old 11-04-02, 01:13 AM

Originally posted by GuessWho

Hey, isn't that the dance from "Grease"? "The Hand Jive", I think?
Old 11-05-02, 11:34 AM
Suspended

Location: Sonoran Desert; a place where it doesn't matter whether or not one can pronounce Donnacha.
Agree with the person stationed in Germany, continental European musical tastes are extremely crappy . . . especially when non-native English speakers make songs in English. (Germans are really bad with this). Tell me a successful continental European band that made it big in the US/world . . . (and I don't mean one-hit wonders). (for the geography idiots, no, the UK and Ireland are not in continental Europe). If you know the language, there are some good modern rock/alternative artists who sing in their own tongue. For example, in Germany: Herbert Groenemeyer (modern rock), Westernhagen (modern rock), Die Aerzte (punk-rock), Die Toten Hosen (punk-rock) (however, again their English songs are amateurish and crap), Die Fantastischen Vier (the German Beastie Boys), Tocotronic (alternative) or from France,
Noir Desir (alternative)

So, where in the heck did you get the idea that European tastes in music were better? Spend some time in Europe and you just might believe that all these crappy American pop artists actually do have talent. Well maybe not, but I'm exaggerating to make a point.

Brits, however, do have better taste in music though I would have to say. Just the fact that many of my favorite artists are British and it's a relatively small country to have so much good music . . .
Old 11-05-02, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Wag The Frog
I always assumed that Europeans had better musical taste than Americans
Germans love David Hasselhoff

Old 12-08-02, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I was just about to start a thread on this song, but since this one is here, I can bash the hell out of it without any extra work. The song sucks. Oh my god, it is so ****ing annoying. I feel like smashing the radio on the dj's head everytime I hear it. Why do they make this trash?
Old 12-09-02, 12:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,389 Likes on 1,020 Posts
Wow, I just love this song. I can't put my finger on it, but it has a "texture" to it that just grabs me. I've never been able to quantify why I like and dislike certain songs, because I just have a mental image of it's "texture", it's "thickness", it's "movement", etc. Can't explain it, but I love this song and many others that come on the Dance station here in Chicago. The lyrics are usually pretty insipid, and the music uninspired, but sometimes there's just a synergy (I hate using that word, but it works) that kicks in. That and the "diamond song" What the hell is that called?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.