Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Best SFX from an Xbox game?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-02, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Best SFX from an Xbox game?

So what xbox game has the best sound effects? I'm not talking about music - that usually gets turned off after the first hour. What game makes best use of the DD 5.1, especially the .1 LFE part?

What got me on this topic was playing Moto GP. The motorcycles have the typical high-pitched whine of most racing games. But when racing during a lightning storm, the thunder makes a nice, deep rumble. It's a cool effect and makes me feel like I'm right in the middle of the storm.

And what is it with these racing games? Why doesn't any of them come out with the deep-throated rumble of a racing V-8? The NASCAR 2003 "start your engines" effect is nice, but really weak. I've heard them start their engines at the track and it sounds awesome. And the flyover? Give me a break. That one should rattle the china. Come on, you've got an LFE channel, use it.
Old 10-30-02, 11:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would have to say HALO. It has all the details that help you spatially place thing just by sound. I remember noticing this when being chase by a Hunter. I could tell where he was behind me by the grunting and clanking from my left-rear speaker. I haven't heard anything that beats that (yet!).
Old 10-30-02, 12:47 PM

'They're everywhere'! HALO is IT when it comes to sFX, this game just totally rocks the house on the audio tip. The way the aliens scream, when a ship lands, big explosion, walking on grass. Everything sounds great.
Old 10-31-02, 12:58 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 918 Likes on 651 Posts
Re: Best SFX from an Xbox game?

Originally posted by Tandem
So what xbox game has the best sound effects? I'm not talking about music - that usually gets turned off after the first hour.
I don't think so. Halo has some of the best original music I've heard in a game. That puppy stays cranked up! I was disappointed the music isn't throughout the game, only when you are in battle.
Old 10-31-02, 03:08 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,848 Likes on 1,144 Posts
but Halo isn't 5.1 is it? DD yes 5.1? isn't it pro logic with some "sfx spacial tweaking"??

...oh BTW I think sound wise it rocks!

When flying the Banshee... you can almost hear the snow hitting the outside as you fly.

The Flood sounds disgusting when they're onscreen with all thats gutteral noise and such...

Last edited by Giantrobo; 10-31-02 at 03:11 AM.
Old 10-31-02, 04:11 AM

Halo is absolutely true DD 5.1. It might be the best sound in a game ever (at least so far).
Old 10-31-02, 04:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by drbuns
Halo is absolutely true DD 5.1. It might be the best sound in a game ever (at least so far).
* for a console...
Old 10-31-02, 05:42 AM

why yes, you are correct, sir...
Old 10-31-02, 06:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Medal of Honor was awesome on my PC. I'm not sure how it's going to be on the Xbox.
Old 10-31-02, 07:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I guess what I'd really like to experience is some sub-sonic effects. Something that will pressurize the room and hit me in the chest. Force-feedback is ok, but when that vehicle I'm riding in explodes, I'd like to feel a little more than just a buzzing in my hands. A nice big shock wave that builds up and moves through the room would be awesome. If it can be done in a movie then it should be possible to do in a video game.
Old 10-31-02, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Tandem
I guess what I'd really like to experience is some sub-sonic effects. Something that will pressurize the room and hit me in the chest. Force-feedback is ok, but when that vehicle I'm riding in explodes, I'd like to feel a little more than just a buzzing in my hands. A nice big shock wave that builds up and moves through the room would be awesome. If it can be done in a movie then it should be possible to do in a video game.
Just as you get hit by a grenade in halo, stick your finger in an electrical socket.
Old 10-31-02, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by edstein
Just as you get hit by a grenade in halo, stick your finger in an electrical socket.
edstein, I think you might be on to something there. How about if we hook up some electrodes in advance and tap into the force-feedback. Positively shocking!
Old 10-31-02, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by V-ism
Medal of Honor was awesome on my PC. I'm not sure how it's going to be on the Xbox.
It sounds really good on the PS2 in PLII, it should be incredible on the Xbox in DD. (Unfortunately the game is nowhere near as good as the PC version though .)
Old 10-31-02, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 918 Likes on 651 Posts
Another favorite of mine music wise(sorry, I don't rembember sfx in games), was Actraiser for Snes. Very nice.
Old 10-31-02, 09:49 AM

Sega GT2002 in 5.1 on a mid-high end setup is definately something to behold. You can hear every detail in the engine
and can tell when a car is coming up behind you by listening to
the rear surrounds. Also during turbo boosts you hear that extra bass kick in, very cool indeed. Visually this game beats out GT3 by only a notch by the sound is much more detailed and realistic.
Old 10-31-02, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think Halo is probably the best one I have. Circus Maximus was a pleasant surprise, being the first game I picked up for $30. If you aren't familiar with it, it's chariot racing and the title is an obvious reference to Gladiator. Horses' hooves rumbling up behind you is pretty cool, and it's not a bad game.
Old 10-31-02, 01:50 PM

Originally posted by V-ism
AMEN!!!! I play this game everyday online ( ]vIp[ -+=cansser=+-), im usually sniping, and if someone is shooting, i can tell EXACTLY where the sound came from, its BEAUTIFUL, for those who think video games are all visuals....theyre wrong, i beleive sound is just as important as visuals....
Old 10-31-02, 02:02 PM
dgc
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

young Vito,

Given that you have a full playable copy, what's your impression of the audio in Splinter Cell so far?

Based on the demo disc, footsteps and distant noises appear to be very directionally very accurate.

I've read that the sounds of bullets hitting different surface materials change (i.e.: hitting metal makes a metallic ping sound, wood makes a snap/crunch sound etc..).
Old 10-31-02, 05:52 PM

Originally posted by dgc
young Vito,

Given that you have a full playable copy, what's your impression of the audio in Splinter Cell so far?

Based on the demo disc, footsteps and distant noises appear to be very directionally very accurate.

I've read that the sounds of bullets hitting different surface materials change (i.e.: hitting metal makes a metallic ping sound, wood makes a snap/crunch sound etc..).
The audio is pretty nice, i have a dts/dd capable system, as a matter of fact...the sounds are awesome, in the opening sequence where the tanks come rumbling into town....my whole living room shook (1 am ) , pretty cool, and yeah...everything makes a sound (glass crackles, wood creaks, metal clangs, dirt ..um...sounds like ure steppin on dirt ..heh, chain fence klinks, and u can hear the softest of footsteps) pretty nice. the only complaint so far is the jaggies when the lighting effects take place.
Old 11-13-02, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I picked up MechAssault today and while I haven't had much of a chance to play it, I was quite impressed with the sound my exploding mech made. It made such a nice rumble that it had me grinning from ear to ear. This is one game that is going to make good use of my SVS subwoofer.

In fact it might be a little too good. I haven't played it with the wife in the house but I'm afraid it's going to rate rather low on the WAF meter.
Old 11-13-02, 10:57 PM

Have you ever played Enclave? That game has a ridiculous bass boom. On the first level, walls start collapsing in the game. It makes this huge bass that blows your head off. It really freaked me out when I first started playing this game at 3am. I thought my roomates were going to run into my room and scream at me.

Maybe it's just my little 5.1 system..