Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Verdict on Battle Royale Korean DVD?

International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Old 10-29-02, 12:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With all the fuss paid to the various UK editions, I still haven't seen a review of the Korean version that came out in September. Supposedly it's the 'extended version', has english subtitles, is anamorphic NTSC and has some special features.

Can anyone give a word on quality of the disc? I don't need a movie review- I've seen it (well the "regular" version, anyway), but I'd like to hear people's opinions on this Korean DVD.

skokefoe.
Old 10-29-02, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
I believe if you do a search, you'll find that I said it was awesome
Old 10-29-02, 03:05 PM

Ahh, I remember reading your comments in the thread, but I guess I assumed you were talking about the new extended UK edition. Now I can't seem to find the thread anyway, but I guess it bodes well for overall quality I'm not anamorphic-PAL capable, so a nice NTSC version would suit me quite well.

skokefoe.
Old 10-30-02, 08:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

aw crap, you know what? I think I was talking about the UK SE... you're right. I don't have the Korean disc... I actually asked the very same question you just did... here's some links.

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=238048

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=230163

When doing a search, make sure you change the date to "any date" so you can pick up the older threads.
Old 10-30-02, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Trigger, I am glad to see you are back. Not sure why you were suspended, but you are a legend around here! Well, my new 2 discc set arrived yesterday, but the movie disk was loose and scratched so it skips everywhere. I am trying to get a replacement from HKflix as we speak so when I do I will let you know what I think if no one else has chimed in yet.
Old 10-30-02, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks.

If they won't replace it, try the boiling trick.
Old 10-31-02, 04:19 AM

indycohiba: I think I already issued you a RMA for this, but if I didn't please contact me. Sorry about the disc being scratched. We never send DVDs out if they are loose, but if the spindle is lousy, I guess they can easily get bumped off :-(

Kind Regards,
Jeff ([email protected])
HKFLIX
Old 10-31-02, 07:03 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Thanks Jeff!

I did get the RMA and appreciate it. I do not think you guys would have caught this one on inspection because the disc was some how jammed into the casing so it was not bouncing around but left a circular impression on the disk due to the pressure from being up against the spindle. It most likely came from the distributor like that. I am returning it today and thanks again for the replacement.

Bryon
Old 11-12-02, 02:36 AM

BR Director's Cut

The Korean Release-Director's Cut (R-3) is a 1-Disc Set (Amaray Case) housed in a box case packaging with a special hologram cover design.

I can really recommend this DVD. Picture quality is good and anamorphic widescreen version . Subtitles are good and there's plenty of extras (No english subtitled). It looks like a perfect copy which has all same features in the Japanese Special Edition release.

I e-mailed to www.dvdasian.com today(they stated "In transit") to find out whether actually they have it.

They e-mailed back - the production company had closed down for the bankruptsy file and no more anywhere available except they have a few copies left and coming more in a week.

You better hurry,
Also
the Korean disc is the longer director's cut. I think this one is somewhat better than the PAL Limited Edition.

Last edited by Gimbob; 11-12-02 at 02:59 AM.
Old 11-12-02, 04:24 PM

i ordered mine off of dvdasian.com, even when it said that it was iIN TRANSIT, i got it in the mail 3 days later. the picture is great , the subs are kinda screwy but it is a great disc
Old 11-13-02, 06:11 AM

Mine was shipped yesterday from Dvdasian and it does still say in transit. I would jump on these while you can. All the other online places I checked out don't have it anymore.
Old 11-14-02, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,187 Likes on 1,492 Posts
Thanks for the heads up guys. I was dragging my feet about picking this up, but I just ordered it from dvdasian. It still says "in transit" on the website, but I hope I get it soon!