Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Review Requests: Spider-Man, Eight-Legged Freaks, Sum of All Fears

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Review Requests: Spider-Man, Eight-Legged Freaks, Sum of All Fears

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-02, 04:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Releases (10/29/02)

Has anybody recieved their copy of Spider-man, Eight Legged Freaks or The Sum of All Fears? Which are worth purchasing or left as possible rental?
Old 10-30-02, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 276 Likes on 172 Posts
Ummm, get movie reviews here
http://www.suntimes.com/ebert/ebertser.html
Old 10-31-02, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I got 8 Legged Freaks and it is a cool cheese flick. If you like bad 50's monster films then this is for you! The only thing I hate about the DVD is the lame menu... its a little too cheesy and too boring. OH well. worth my $16.99!
Old 10-31-02, 12:53 PM
Tee
Banned

As it happens, all are reviewed here
Old 11-02-02, 01:23 AM
Cool New Member

I just bought all 3 of these today. Eight legged freaks is fun to watch. Totally predictable. But a great time. Its a movie worth buying, although it was the most expensive of the three, you could easily watch it multiple times. Spiderman is also one that would be a good buy. How can you go wrong for under $15.00. Sum of all fears I haven't watched yet.
Old 11-08-02, 05:05 PM

I watched 8 legged freaks last night and was disappointed - the best scene is also part of the trailer where a giant spider snatches some dude off his dirt bike. Not the worst, but the effects seemed like a low budget re-hash of Starship Troopers action.
Old 12-16-02, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Rented Eight-Legged Freaks, and even though I love cheesy sci-fi, this one was a dissapointment. Actually, the audio commentary was more fun than the movie, and definitely give a look at the 13-minute short film that was the genesis for the project - proves that $$$$ doesn't necessarily mean better.
Old 12-19-02, 04:12 AM
JM1

I have all of these -

Spider Man - worth buying, very good when it sticks to the original story and concentrates on the characters, but starts to look like a big dumb action movie in the action sequences. Some of the CGI is not that convincing, particularly during the fight sequences.

Sum Of All Fears - Not even sure why I bought this, did not enjoy bit that much in the cinema, though a second look might improve it. Not really. Comes of a a rehash of the original Patriot Games. Affleck is not convincing, lots of dodgy Russian accents, and underwhelming effects sequences. Sure, I know a lot of peope find the central concept quite frightening, but it could have been handled better.

Eight Legged Freaks - got this yesterday and watched it last night. A good, fun movie. Tongue in cheek, very good effects. Worth buying, IMHO.
Old 12-19-02, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I also own all of these:

Spiderman-Very Good and a lot of fun. My only real gripe with the film is, I wanted The Green Goblin to me an actual transformation rather than a drug induced psychotic episode and a green suit. I never really followed the comics so I can't comment on how true to the story line the change from Dr. to Gremlin is.

Eight Legged Freaks-More of an homage to say Gremlins, than Tarantula. Very predictable but also enjoyable.

Sum of All Fears-I'm in the minority on this one. I thoroughly enjoyed the film and was glued to my seat from start to finish.
I'm not really sold on Affleck as Jack Ryan (or Daredevil for that matter) but it all worked for me anyway.

So, depending on the kind of flick you enjoy most I'd say rent them all and buy what you like the best.
Old 12-20-02, 07:28 AM
bac
Banned

Sum of All Fears (Includes a couple member reviews/ratings as well):

[Removed spam]