Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

CSI: Miami 10/21

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-02, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 959 Likes on 666 Posts
CSI: Miami 10/21

So what did ya'll think of this one? It seems that almost all the complaints that you guys had were answered.

a "B" plot
less Caruso time
more Delaney time
less Caruso over acting

I think it was pretty good. It allowed the secondary characters more air time.

I still like original CSI more but this is still definately on my to watch list.
Old 10-21-02, 10:15 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
This was one of the better episodes this season. Disturbing material, yet entertaining. I but gruesome, albeit a bit sad as well.
Old 10-21-02, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
I haven't seen a ruger mini 14 on tv since the A-Team
somehow I doubt a person is going to rely on a .223 caliber rilfe to protect tham from gators in an enclosed space
I know I wouldn't

Last edited by mikehunt; 10-21-02 at 11:22 PM.
Old 10-21-02, 11:42 PM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts
Good ep...

I still have a weak stomache when it comes to this kinda stuff, but I keep watchin' it.
Old 10-22-02, 01:28 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
more disturbing graphics like the baby embro and the burn body stomach.
Old 10-22-02, 08:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I was wincing when Bullet Girl was shoving thin rods through the cadaver/victim/priest. She was enjoying her work just a little too much.

Am I the only that gets tired of Horatio laying down the gauntlet everytime he can't make a murder charge stick (to the guy he thinks rigged the woman's vehicle to crash and burn)?
Old 10-22-02, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Patman
I was wincing when Bullet Girl was shoving thin rods through the cadaver/victim/priest.
That, and when they were emptying the stomach contents. Lots of EEEW factor in this one.

Still can’t get into it as much as the original, for some reason.

I thought it was interesting that they didn’t go for the pedophile priest angle.
Old 10-22-02, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

is the original csi going to be a re-run this thursday?
Old 10-22-02, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

http://www.tvguide.com/

But yes, it's a repeat. It's about the hockey player who dies at the bottom of a pile.
Old 10-22-02, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think just about everything is a repeat this week. Something about some sports event...
Old 10-22-02, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Patman

Am I the only that gets tired of Horatio laying down the gauntlet everytime he can't make a murder charge stick (to the guy he thinks rigged the woman's vehicle to crash and burn)?
I say give me an Amen brotha!
Old 10-22-02, 05:32 PM

Why was the medical examiner going around questioning people and looking at for evidence at crime scenes?

I can buy the CSIs doing this (talking to witnesses) because they are technically part of the police - but most MEs are part of the Health department. Who does she think she is - Kay Scarpetta?
Old 10-22-02, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well, Quincy always did.

Old 10-22-02, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Wizdar
I think just about everything is a repeat this week. Something about some sports event...
could it be the World Series between the angels and giants?

So are friends and survivor going to be a repeat also?
Old 10-23-02, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have seen all of the episodes of CSI:Miami except for last weeks, and I can honestly say that I have grown to detest this show. I don't like the acting (or the actors) and I don't care for the plots. The only reason that I have watched up to this point is because I really like CSI, and was hoping that this show would pick up. It hasn't. It is a shell of the show that the original CSI is.
Old 10-23-02, 04:05 PM
MrN
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I've all the episoded of CSI: Miami to now and this one will be the last. To me all the stories seem to ridiculously contrived with all the twists - I guess the investigators are so good that a straight-forward story wouldn't last the whole hour. If only they spent some time developing the characters - so far all they've come up with is Caruso and his 'I've seen it all' attitude.

But my main complaint would have to be the totally over-the-top crimes. As in, a devout catholic killing a priest who isn't going to reveal what is basically a confessional. And how about the rapist who wants oral sex?

Anyway, time to lighten my TIVO load.
Old 10-23-02, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This episode sickened me. Where did all the over-the-top moralizing come from? I thought that Operation Rescue wrote this episode or something. It was bad enough with the whole coroner and David Caruso getting all weepy eyed over a 7-week fetus, but then they added the really melodramatic string quartet music. But the worst was the whole "picture of your baby at 2" thing. Jeez. I guess the woman who died didn't mean much. Why not get weepy-eyed at her burnt body or print out an aged picture of her to see what she would have looked like?

I don't recall the original CSI show ever being so preachy. I'm not sure if I'll watch this show again. This episode was the biggest piece of propaganda I've seen in a long time.
Old 10-24-02, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Jadzia
I guess the woman who died didn't mean much.
Interesting POV. I agree totally.

Is Horatio Caine supposed to be a poster boy for Right to Life?

Old 10-24-02, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

And how in the world did they come up with a picture of a baby that wasn't even born yet? Some kind of new technology? Btw, I enjoy this show, but the original is better of course.
Old 10-24-02, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think this episode was proof positive why it pales to the original. Gil Grissom would have followed the evidence-- this Horatio clown seemed to just make up his mind that one guy did it and seemed determined to find anything to support it. While he spent so much time & resources making up fake baby photos, they never showed him investigating the woman's life to find out if anyone else would have had a motive to kill her.

I never even knew proof that a) the woman knew she pregnant b) that she wanted to have the baby, or c) that the man even knew about the baby. And the biggest ridiculous leap was if the guy was cruel enough to burn a woman alive like that, will a baby picture of a 2-year old who never existed really make the guy feel bad enough to confess? If he was the killer, he obviously didn't care about anybody else's life but his own.

And why would a guy buy such a ring for a "one-night stand"?!?

Instead of researching all angles, Horatio just decided who he thought did it and was looking for proof to nail the guy. I was never convinced that he did it. Other than having motive, he seemed like he would have been a red herring suspect on the other CSI show.

I have been reading the message boards at TWOP and I'm glad that other people were as bothered by this episode as I was. It seemed like one long pro-life commercial. As a poster over there said "Gee, lucky for that woman she was 7 weeks pregnant, otherwise Horatio wouldn't have even cared who killed her."

The whole episode really de-humanized the woman. We never learned much about her, other than the fact she was incubating a fetus.
Old 10-24-02, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I just thought of it as guilt-tripping the father and tugging on the paternal heartstrings to suit Horatio's purpose, which is to make the dude feel remorse at his actions. Over the top, you bet.
Old 10-24-02, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

…which is why, of course, they showed the magnified view of the fetus. Musta looked nice on a 60" HDTV.

Would have been better if they put the fetus in the guy's pocket? Or, did they have to save it to give it a proper burial. Maybe Horatio passed the hat for a casket. Prolly paid for the whole thing himself. Gave the team time off to attend the funeral. OK. I'll stop now.
Old 10-24-02, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, that thing looked like a shrimp to me. I could see being all upset if she was like six, seven, eight months pregnant but the way he was carrying on about the fetal tissue was a lttle much. Even the coroner made a comment about being sad about it.

I guess I was more saddened by the woman who was burned alive, but that's just me I guess.

I hope Horatio never pleasures himself--he'd have to make little pictures of what his seed would have looked like in a few years.
Old 10-24-02, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Jadzia
I guess I was more saddened by the woman who was burned alive, but that's just me I guess.
No, you're not the only one.

While it’s sad when something happens to a child*, I believe it’s sad when something happens to a person. Just because something happens to a child doesn’t automatically make it a National Tragedy. Adults can suffer, too.

But the exclusion of the woman from any concern (Oh! Let’s see what’s in her stomach! Giggle giggle giggle.) just proves that somebody was on a soapbox here. Was it the character, or the writers? Usually when writers examine a controversial issue via the characters, counterpoint is given. This was preaching, plain and simple. And I HATE being preached to while I’m trying to enjoy something.

I’ve got to believe that being burnt to death has to be the worst way to go.

And, no, Horatio doesn’t pleasure himself. At least not without putting on the latex.

*We’re not talking about a “child” here, IMO. But that’s another debate.
Old 10-27-02, 01:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

All the complaints people have about CSI: Miami are what I've been annoyed with about the original from day one. To me, neither is really anything special. Of couse, this episode was particularly bad.

Anyway, I'm curious when the fetus' birthday is. Horatio is going to hunt this guy down every year on her birthday, right? Would that be the day they gratuitously dug it from the lady's corpse, or will they just extrapolate when it would be?

das