Reload this Page >

Buffy 10/22/02 "Selfless"

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 10-21-02, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This was a phenomenol episode, IMO. Some spoilers for the episode, in various order:

Spoiler:

Anya is responsible for the gruesome deaths of 12 guys who humilated a girl, and Willow finds this out early in the episode.

Willow tells Buffy and Xander, and Buffy knows that she has to kill Anya, since she is now a demon.

Xander and Anya are on the verge of reuniting, but neither seems to be able to make the first move.

Anya and Buffy fight, with Buffy ending up putting a sword through Anya's heart.

Other tidbits:

Spoiler:

We see how Anya became a demon, and her relationship with Olaf. It also features bunnies, but it didn't tell us why she has her fear.

Anya sings again! Throughout the show, we saw various flashbacks of Anya from the 1800's onward, with one of them taking place during the musical show from last season. She does another song (one, IMO, not as strong as the ones from last year).

That's about it. A great episode!
Old 10-21-02, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Oops, just noticed that I put todays date on it, instead of tomorrows for all of you US'ers. I tried to change it and it seemed like it worked, but if it didn't, Mods, please feel free to change to tomorrow's date to avoid confusion.
Old 10-22-02, 10:02 AM

It's being pre-empted in Detroit! Thank God for USENET and wildfeeds!
Old 10-22-02, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 156 Posts
So
Spoiler:
Anya is dead, forever? I thought she was fun.
Old 10-22-02, 02:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
how can Anya die from a stab in the heart. In the episode when the gang was trapped in the house because of Dawn's wish, Anya's friend and revenge demon, was stabbed and she was fine.
Note: this is not a spoiler, I hope, as it's shown in the commercial for the show.

Last edited by dp20957; 10-22-02 at 02:50 PM.
Old 10-22-02, 02:56 PM

If you just have to know:
Spoiler:
Anya doesn't die, Halfrek (sp?) does. Anya becomes human.

And shame on you for not just waiting for tonight for the best episode so far this year.

And dp20957, if you're going to reference a spoiler, use spoiler tags for it.

Last edited by RandyM; 10-22-02 at 02:58 PM.
Old 10-22-02, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, I did say that
Spoiler:
the spoilers were in various order. I said that for a reason
Old 10-22-02, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Can I just pause for a moment to point out that I'm not terribly happy when shows actually name their episodes, but then fail to put a title card identifying the episode in the actual episode?

Give us a half-second title screen. Just a blipvert to help us identify the damned things.

Grrr. . . .
Old 10-22-02, 03:25 PM

I can't think of any shows that have the title of the episode-except for Enterprise
Old 10-22-02, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I really loved this episode. I haven't over analysed it yet, because I've watched it once and was going wow a lot. I need to digest it, but man there was a lot I liked about this episode.

First of all the fact that Anya was still being VERY deeply affected by what she did was a nice testimony for how much she'd grown in the time she's spent with the Scooby's.

Buffy's speach was fantastic and, as always, very well delivered by Sarah. Again, another person very overdo for an Emmy, she was just amazing.

Nice bit about The Dark Willow is still lurking. I find many of my previous favorite characters were very strong personalities with very conflicted lives. Batman, Catwoman, Elektra, Wolverine, Spawn, just to name a few. Alison is amazing and also deserves an Emmy. I like the fact that we don't have the Star Trek it's wrapped up and all back to normal syndrome. I like the fact that it's taking a while and is difficult for her to balance this power with control. Too bad they didn't approach it this way to begin with. Her trying to balance this amazing power as a war mage and having problems controlling it because some of it comes from darkness. I would have like that a bit more than, I'm adicted lame crud.

It was a nice touch to add one song we didn't get the first time around. Now we also see how and why Anya was looking forward to this. She defined herself by what she did, not who she was. She has some growing to do, but at this point there's hope for her. Emma rocks it on well in this one too.

It's also nice to see Nicholas and Xander get a few serious moments. He has it in him. He's come a long was and still would have been my choice for Spiderman.

James Marsters is brilliant when insane.

This season is showing promise.
Old 10-22-02, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I just realized that Olaf was Kubiac from Parker Lewis Can't Lose.

The subtitled parts were hilarious, IMO.
Old 10-22-02, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by elektra
James Marsters is brilliant when insane.
Ditto. I can't believe I never made the Spike-Drusilla-Insanity connection. It felt like I got hit with a hammer in the head when he made that point.

I wish they'd explained her fear of bunnies though...
Old 10-22-02, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yea, no kidding. I'm still not clear on why she's afraid of them. The subtitles were hysterical. I loved it!
Old 10-22-02, 08:40 PM

Originally posted by dp20957
Note: this is not a spoiler, I hope, as it's shown in the commercial for the show.
I don't know if dvdtalk has guidelines for what's a spoiler and what isn't, but that sure seems like a spoiler to me. Some of us do our best not to watch commercials or "next week on..."s, because of all the spoilers. And this is a great example: if you'd seen
Spoiler:
Anya getting stabbed through the heart
in the commercial for this week's episode, wouldn't the episode lose a lot of its surprise and suspense?

But anyway. Great episode tonight. It had some very surprising jumps between suspenseful and intense and funny, even for a Buffy episode. I loved
Spoiler:
"It looks like somebody slaughtered an Abercrombie & Fitch catalog."

I want more! I can't wait a whole week for more Buffly goodness...
Old 10-22-02, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Ah, very solid episode dealing with Anya and finding that she really doesn't that the heart to go full bore in her vengeance demon mode again. Being human and once in love has totally corrupted her demon moral center to the point that I think she wanted Buffy to come after her, to extinguish her pain of living a life with no purpose. Say all you want about metaphors of when a despondent person is asking for help and just goes about it by becoming despicable and destructive, this was Anya's story, her arc, all in one episode. Nice job.

Anyhow, we have D'hofrin alluding to the Big Bad once more with the "From beneath you, it devours" so obviously he knows what's coming up in the hellmouth in, oh, 15 more episodes if not sooner.

Oh, I thought Emma Caufield did a bang up job on her musical number, and she looked really fabulous for most of the episode, even when she was hurt and sad.

I'm glad they hashed out why Buffy has to do what she does, and how most of the objections were brought up and dealt with. The bit about Buffy having to kill Angel was a good bit to bring back, highlighting that even though Buffy has returned, she carries in her heart a heavy burden of being the slayer, the responsibility of such a calling has limited her options on she deals with events and people and demons.

But, even in the face of common sense, Xander was the one hanging on, hoping on hope that Anya, his love, would be spared. I knew D'hofrin was going to pull the rug out from under Anya because that's what he does, what better vengeance to wrought on Anya who wants to die, but to keep her alive in pain for a while longer, at least until the season finale, of course. I won't really miss Helfrek.

Love the Kubester-Troll.

Last edited by Patman; 10-22-02 at 09:35 PM.
Old 10-22-02, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Dvdsky
I don't know if dvdtalk has guidelines for what's a spoiler and what isn't, but that sure seems like a spoiler to me. Some of us do our best not to watch commercials or "next week on..."s, because of all the spoilers. And this is a great example: if you'd seen
Spoiler:
Anya getting stabbed through the heart
in the commercial for this week's episode, wouldn't the episode lose a lot of its surprise and suspense?

But anyway. Great episode tonight. It had some very surprising jumps between suspenseful and intense and funny, even for a Buffy episode. I loved
Spoiler:
"It looks like somebody slaughtered an Abercrombie & Fitch catalog."

I want more! I can't wait a whole week for more Buffly goodness...
Unless they've changed the guidelines from what I remember, you can use spoilers about the episode named in the date of the thread. Any spoilers about this week's episode are considered fair game, but previews of next week's episode aren't (because they'd belong in the Buffy 10/29/02 "We're Running A Repeat of the First Episode, But We Won't Admit It So We Make the Episode Seem Like a Special Halloween Episode In the Preview" thread).

The only exception with the spoiler tags that I make is if I post something about an episode that's aired on the east coast but hasn't aired on the west coast yet.
Old 10-22-02, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by CaptainMarvel
Unless they've changed the guidelines from what I remember, you can use spoilers about the episode named in the date of the thread.
I think the point that causing confusion here is that the Buffy threads have lately been posted here a day before most of us are able to see it. I always stay out of these threads until after I see the episode, but it seems others just need to take a peek. The spoiler space is used to protect those peepers from themselves if they find they really don't want to be spoiled the day before it airs.

Oh, and I'd just like to add- Awesome episode!!!
Old 10-22-02, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 808 Likes on 597 Posts
Great Episode! Where is the big bad? They usually show up by now. Also, they haven't shown the hooded cloak guys who go around and kill girls for the last two episodes. How can you show that and then go away from it? I think the first few episodes are just setting the stage for the rest of the season. Also, has anyone heard whether this will be Sara Michelle Gellar now Prinze's last season?
Old 10-22-02, 10:45 PM

What can I say about this episode but Wow. This is now one of my all time favorite Buffy episodes and I can't wait to watch it again. Very powerfull.
After watching last weeks Angel with Gwen the electric girl I was starting to think that Angel was going to turn out to be the better series this year. But now along comes "Selfless" and I am proven to be wrong again.
Next week can not get here fast enough. Halloween, baby.
Old 10-22-02, 10:48 PM
Needs to provide a working email

The troll is doing an Olaf inpersonation!...Hit him with fruits and various meats!
Old 10-22-02, 10:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 808 Likes on 597 Posts
Originally posted by Darren Garrison
The troll is doing an Olaf inpersonation!...Hit him with fruits and various meats!
Olaf is Jerry from ER
Old 10-22-02, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

was it just me, or was the preview of next week's episode a preview of the first episode of the season? or maybe they just didn't want to show anything from next week's show.

here's my interpretation of "from beneath you, it devours". don't read if you really don't wanna know, because i think my theory makes a LOT of sense...
Spoiler:
something is killing off all the potential slayer successors (the ones 'beneath' buffy) so that by the time it gets to buffy, she is the last of the slayers, and if she dies, there will be no more slayers. that's just my guess, but it makes sense given that all the victims so far have been young females that look to be about buffy's build.
Old 10-22-02, 11:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,025 Posts
Originally posted by lwhy?
Olaf is Jerry from ER
He was quoting the ep.

I think this is in my top five Buffy episodes ever. Very tight, lots of backstory for us long-timers, like Willow finding out Xander lied to Buffy in Becoming Pt II (which is HUGE) and Willow still having the talisman she got back in Season 4. Very nice touch, and completely lost on people who haven't been watching that long. I love stuff like that.

Mad props to fooling me TWICE ("nice" Buffy talking to Spike and then Halfrek...I honestly thought this was Anya's swan song.) Great episode all around.
Old 10-22-02, 11:33 PM

It was an awesome episode, i forgot the saying but like its comin from underneath sounds really kool, i cant wait to see what they do with that, i also luv the whole willow when she uses her magic she gets all bitchy, it was funny! spider a big scary for me cause i have a fear of them, aragnofovbic or how u spell it!
Old 10-22-02, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Darren Garrison

I loved those subtitles!

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.