Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

THPS3 Owners, Will you buy THPS4?

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games
View Poll Results: Will You upgrade to Tony Hawk Pro Skater 4?
Yes, right away
47.62%
No, I'm good with THPS3
26.19%
Maybe later when the price comes down
26.19%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-02, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,176 Likes on 4,205 Posts

Since THPS3 hit all the consoles last year, I'm wondering how many people are going to upgrade to #4. I think I'll pass as there are so many other good games coming out. Will you upgrade this year, and if so, why?
Old 10-21-02, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How about an option, No I'm Tony Hawked out.
Old 10-21-02, 11:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I sold my TH3 about two months ago so I'm all prepped and ready for TH4.
Old 10-21-02, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts
I sold my THPS3 a few months ago also. 3 was my first, so I'm not sick of it yet. I'm guessing it will be my last though.
Old 10-21-02, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I keep telling myself no but I know I'll end up getting it within a few weeks of release.

Last edited by Icculus; 10-21-02 at 12:12 PM.
Old 10-21-02, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I had never played a TH game until I bought THPS3 like two months ago at Best Buy for $19.99 w/Mem card(GC). The game is a lot of fun, but I wouldn't pay full price for it.
I will buy TH4, but not until it drops down to $19.99, so I'll be waiting a while.....no rush though, I'm still not a TH freak.
Old 10-21-02, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

*Sigh* probably.
Old 10-21-02, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I loved TH3 so much I bought it twice (PS2, then upgraded to XBOX). I've since sold both on eBay with hopes that Tony Hawk 4 will be even better. And why wouldn't it be?
Old 10-21-02, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

My only experience with the series was downloading a demo of TH2 for the PC a year ago, and renting TH3 last Friday (I'm now at Tokyo). I'll probably end up just renting THPS4, and I may end up buying 2X now that it's only $19.99.
Old 10-21-02, 01:32 PM

Location: Austin, Texas XboxLIVE Gamertag: Golucky Timezone: Central (CST)
I all "Hawked" out. It's still appears to be the same game with a couple of mini-games thrown in. No LIVE = no Buy. I'll stick with THPS3.
Old 10-21-02, 03:15 PM
Banned

Absolutely buying it. Have loved the THPS series forever and am almost Hawked out, but not quite yet. I didn't own #3, but I played the hell out of it (and beat it) on a friend's PS2.

Since I haven't played a Hawk game in about 6-7 months, I'm more than ready for a new one. Looks great, can't wait for the reviews.
Old 10-21-02, 03:18 PM
Retired

Originally posted by Liver&Onions
How about an option, No I'm Tony Hawked out.
Ditto.

I got rid of THPS3 some time ago, and don't see myself buying anothre TH game (or any extreme sports game) for a long time. I just burnt myself out on the genre, and I was never as in love with the series as a lot of people are.
Old 10-21-02, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,176 Likes on 4,205 Posts
Well, I can't edit the poll, and besides I think option #2 will suffice for those of you who are Halked-out.
I really think Activision has dropped the ball (ok, dropped the board) on this release. I think they've done a crummy job of convincing the gaming public that they need the new game. It's not like football where you sort of need to upgrade every season. Compare what they've done to what Rockstar did with GTA : VC. Everyone knows why they need that game even though they bought GTA3 just a year ago. As far as THPS4, I'm just not convinced yet.
Old 10-21-02, 06:15 PM

Originally posted by Decker
Well, I can't edit the poll, and besides I think option #2 will suffice for those of you who are Halked-out.
I really think Activision has dropped the ball (ok, dropped the board) on this release. I think they've done a crummy job of convincing the gaming public that they need the new game. It's not like football where you sort of need to upgrade every season. Compare what they've done to what Rockstar did with GTA : VC. Everyone knows why they need that game even though they bought GTA3 just a year ago. As far as THPS4, I'm just not convinced yet.
I think the game will still definitely sell like hotcakes. I do agree, though, that they're not doing a good job of convincing the more hardcore gamers why they should 'upgrade' once again. I watched the video preview at Gamespot, and it almost made me laugh how that one new little move is supposed to be the game's "innovation". Oh, and you can talk to people. Whoopidee F'n doo-da. I'll probably just end up buying THPS2X for 20 bucks......at least it has the types of levels I like (smaller and more compact with tighter design).

My 'Xtreme sports' game for this winter will probably just be Transworld Snowboarding anyways.
Old 10-21-02, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I already pre paid for it. Love the Hawk series and TH4 will make a nice addition to TH2X and TH3 on my Xbox. The game may not be ground breaking, but its still a lot of fun.
Old 10-21-02, 07:45 PM

Hell yeah I'm going to buy it. I rented Kelly Slater's Pro Surfer just to play the demo, and I played the hell out to THPS3. The levels are massive and semi-realistic, the graphics are smoother, and the new no-timelimit multiple-goal setup is nice.

I can do without the dumb mini-games, though.
Old 10-21-02, 07:51 PM
Banned

Originally posted by mrlumpy

I can do without the dumb mini-games, though.
Funny, I think this is a pretty cool addition. Of course the novelty will wear off after a while, but it's still nice nonetheless.

It seems this is the first unhyped THPS game yet, with no REAL new additions to the trick system and such. Of course the whole career mode is redone, so for me, that's good enough.

I just hope the Berkeley level is sick...I've been on the campus a thousand times and would love it if it was true to life.
Old 10-22-02, 12:23 AM
Banned

OH, speaking of THPS4, where are the deals? Anyone seen anything at all? I'm surprised since this is a huge franchise and a game that should sell pretty well.