Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Mario Party 4 watch

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-02, 08:26 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mario Party 4 watch

Anyone getting this game? Reviews? Where did you pick it up?

FS
Old 10-21-02, 08:37 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Here's IGN's review:

http://cube.ign.com/articles/374/374329p1.html

They give it a 6.9 which is about the same score they gave the earlier games. The consensus seems to be that if you like the N64 Mario Party games, you'll like this.

I'm picking it up. It's one of the few games that my wife will play too.
Old 10-21-02, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm getting it. 50 mini-games? Can't go wrong.
Old 10-21-02, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I've been waiting on this more than Mario Sunshine and Metroid even. I tend to enjoy games that my friends including my gf and other friends also can play at the same time, while drinking .
Old 10-21-02, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I'm looking forward to this game. I didn't play the second one, but I always enjoyed this series. Its a fun multiplayer title to play. Plus in the commercial is saw that Waluigi is in it!!! Gamespot gave the game a 7.2, which i'm pretty sure is around what they gave the others too, but it sounded pretty good.
Old 10-21-02, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's kind of irritating how IGN gives it a 7.0 in gameplay and then says that there is an "incredible amount of multiplayer fun." It almost sounds like they're giving a 5.0 for single player and a 9.0 for multi...so why not just judge the games on the merits of a multiplayer game?
Old 10-21-02, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I liked 2 and 3 for multiplayer fun, but you sure can wear out controllers playing it.

Unfortunately, I'm spent to the limit with Tony Hawk 4, Vice City, and Metroid in November. I will have to pick this up later.
Old 10-21-02, 10:01 PM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts
I have 1 and 2 and 3 and am really looking forward to 4.

I've had it on pre-order from Amazon for over a month, thanks to a $25 GC. Can't wait for it to get here.

I agree with Groucho... its one of the only that my wife will play... still can't get her to let me turn it into a game of "Strip" Mario Party...

"Sorry honey, you lost that last mini game... what should I make you take off..."
Old 10-25-02, 12:32 PM

Anybody picked this up? If so what are your thoughts.

I haven't had a chance yet, but will be picking it up Sat assuming BBuy has it instock.
Old 10-25-02, 12:45 PM
Banned

I've got it! I've never played any of the older versions, but it's pretty enjoyable and there is some strategy to use in getting around the board and capturing the stars.

One thing I like is that there are a couple of mini-games that use the rumble feature of the control in the game; I don't know if this was used in previous versions. I've seen at least 3 games that use this, one mini-game in the main game, and two mini-games in an 'bonus mini-game' area.

Most importantly, the more live players, the better!

FS
Old 10-25-02, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally posted by Goldberg74
I have 1 and 2 and 3 and am really looking forward to 4.[/i]
Really? 1 is the best. I never played 3, but 2 was basically the same with more complicated game boards and similar mini-games. Plus, they pulled out the circle on the analog control. I liked it, it made it challenging. The only game to really tear up your hands.

The best mini-game to date in my mind is the fishing for treasure chests on the first MP.
Old 10-26-02, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I played MP4 for trhe first time the other day, but my buddy (my gaming friend) is the only one Id play with , so I'll just let him bring his copy over.
Old 10-26-02, 09:53 PM

Picked it up today. I've been a big fan of the others, and this offers the same.. It looks pretty good in progressive mode, but not a major upgrade over the previous versions.

If you don't have one of the other versions yet pick this one up, if you do, save your money for metroid or something.

There is a new story mode that earns you prizes which are stored in a "prize room" but tried playing it and having to play 1 player just isn't much fun.. I picked it up more as a multi game, and that's the only way I believe it's gonna get played.
Old 10-26-02, 09:57 PM

I hate these games. Pure quantity over quality IMO. Tons of games, but none of them are fun, and some don't even have any real gameplay.
Old 10-26-02, 09:59 PM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts
Amazon just shipped mine yesterday...

Time to wait... but for $25 I will (I had a $25 GC, remember)
Old 10-26-02, 11:35 PM

Originally posted by tha_dvd_man
I hate these games. Pure quantity over quality IMO. Tons of games, but none of them are fun, and some don't even have any real gameplay.
I can agree with you, at least if you're playing it in 1 player mode. However, this quantity, and lack of gameplay make them good for multi player, since anybody can play, even those who just picked up the controller for the 1st time.. It's good for sitting around drinking w some friends.
Old 10-27-02, 12:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
This game was made to play with three or more people. I'm surprised at how much fun these games can be though they do wear out controllers pretty fast. With only one or two people though its not much fun.
Old 10-27-02, 01:00 AM

I don't remember ever playing this game with less than two other people. I mean, it can be fun, but only because of the social experience you get out of it.... and I can get that exact same experience doing anything else with my friends or whatever. Now Bomberman.......that's an amazingly fun party game with simple yet awesome gameplay.
Old 10-27-02, 02:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by SpaceBoy
I can agree with you, at least if you're playing it in 1 player mode. However, this quantity, and lack of gameplay make them good for multi player, since anybody can play, even those who just picked up the controller for the 1st time.. It's good for sitting around drinking w some friends.
FWIW, it does make a GREAT drinking game. FYI.