Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Timesplitter2... the first video game to give me motion sickness >=(

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-02, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 1 Post
Timesplitter2... the first video game to give me motion sickness >=(

I don't get it....

I've played tons of FPS on PC, PS2, etc.

This is the first game to give me motion sickness (either that or the game sucks and is making me nauseous).

I tried playing it twice, and both times I started feeling ill after about 35 minutes.

This is crazy.... I can still play Tribes on my PC for hours, and feel fine... I can play Halo with no problems...

But this game...

This game might just get returned.

-k
###
Old 10-20-02, 02:57 PM
Mod Emeritus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yup, I remember that exactly from the first Timesplitters.
Old 10-20-02, 03:22 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

I thought i was the only one. Phewww!!!!
Old 10-20-02, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Is it the framerate?
Old 10-20-02, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

How similar is it to GE or PD?
Old 10-20-02, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I.........

Originally posted by vhgong
I thought i was the only one. Phewww!!!!
I get sick with this game!!!!!!

I played the demo a few times and everytime I played it I was sick and lightheaded. I thought it was just me. I actually like the game but after feeling this way I'm not going to play the full version.

I played Halo and Turok and some other FPS games with no problem.
Old 10-20-02, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

For the people who are getting sick, what system are you playing on?
Old 10-20-02, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by ten41
xbox on a 32 inch wega.

-k
###
Old 10-20-02, 08:04 PM

Is timesplitters coming out on PC?

-Maneesh
Old 10-20-02, 08:08 PM
Video Gamer Reviewers

I get motion sick from playing WOLF3D.EXE or DOOM.EXE

I can't play this never FPS...
Old 10-20-02, 08:13 PM
Shawn

Originally posted by maneesh
Is timesplitters coming out on PC?

-Maneesh
I could be wrong, but I don't think so.
Old 10-20-02, 08:30 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally posted by ten41
PS2 on a 21" Sony Trinitron
Old 10-20-02, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It's something........

I play on Xbox.

It seems that it doesn't matter what system you are playing many of us are getting affected.
Old 10-20-02, 08:53 PM

I wouldn't even try this. FPS indoor environments kill me. And the more narrow corridors, the worse I feel.

What also gets me are the racing games where your view is behind the car but it's like you're at the back end of a hook-and-ladder... your car starts to turn, you can see the side of it, then "you" finally enter the turn. That's the best way I can describe it. I don't even consciously notice the problem until the headache starts within 20 minutes.

Destruction Derby was an early PSX offender; Wreckless is a latter-day Xbox example. Just thinking about these two games has me wondering where I last left some Excedrin and a bucket.
Old 10-21-02, 01:54 AM

The ultimate game for motion sickness is Super Monkey Ball on the Gamecube.

I am a big gamer and can play about any kind of game. Been playing for probably 15 years. But monkey ball was the first and only game so far to make me feel like I was gonna die after about 10 minutes. I felt sick, had a bad, bad headache and was dizzy

I played the demo of timesplitters 2 on xbox, was ok with it.
Old 10-21-02, 02:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I can play monkey ball... no probs. But this one, I'm just not sure about.

It may be all the tight hallways, and that little 'bounce' in your step. I'm not sure.

I'm giving it one more try tomorrow, if I feel sick... it's going back.

-k
###
Old 10-21-02, 03:19 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Since a lot of sites gave this game a pretty good score, I thought I would get it to try out. I've never gotten motion sickness from a console game before (always get it from FPS PC games though).

So I got it for X-Box (on a 32 inch Wega) and it's 60 frames per second from what I hear. I'm already kinda of sick as it is (flu I think), but after about 40 minutes of playing Timesplitters 2 I felt terrible. I literally thought I was going to throw up. So far I'm not into this game much because the controls are so difficult. I really want to give this game a chance, but I'm not sure my stomach can take it. I might have to return it soon. (first time I've ever returned a game because it was makin' me sick) :0
Old 10-21-02, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 917 Likes on 677 Posts
I've had the same thing happen, but only during a 4 player split screen. Once we got to our fifth or sixth 100 kill round I started to get really dizzy and had to stop. This never happened during our all night PD matches though....very strange.
Old 10-21-02, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I guess there's no need for me to try this game, then. I get sick easily on these games - so why even bother trying, eh?

Daryl
Old 10-21-02, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I played the demo of this and dont recal feeling ill... I did feel ill when I was playing the Half Life for the PS2 demo I have though. I used to be able to play the original Wolf 3d, when it first game out, just fine... but the last time I tried it, I felt sick after several minutes of playing.

Brian
Old 10-21-02, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 960 Likes on 667 Posts
wow that is really bad if everyone is getting sick and returning the game.

i get sick sometimes on FPS on the computer but i think that is because you have to sit so close to the moniter. but...outdoor environments definately helps because i don't get too sick when playing medal of honor aa.

i just hope Metriod doesn't do this to me. it seems that the warped through the helmet affect might make it worse.
Old 10-21-02, 10:46 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by Keyser Soze
It may be all the tight hallways, and that little 'bounce' in your step. I'm not sure.

I read an article about this problem of dizziness in FPS games(happens to me with other games too). They said it's the head bobbing that does it for a lot of players. Turn it off (if there's an option since i haven't played the game). Other than that, try to sit back away from your TV.

Edit: I found the article on extended play, it mainly refers to pc gaming but take it for what its worth.

-----------------------------------------------------------
Prevent Videogame Motion Sickness

By Adam Sessler
Printer-friendly format
Email this story

Video Highlight
Gaming Motion Sickness

Q: My son was playing videogames the other day, and he actually started to get motion sickness. His doctor says it's not unusual, but I still think it's odd. Should I be concerned about my son getting sick while playing games?

-- Rayold via email

A: Many people who play 3D games from the first-person perspective find themselves experiencing the effects of motion sickness (read: nausea). Game developers themselves can become violently ill when playing games of this type.

Why does this happen?

The problem is in your (or your son's) head.

When you play a first-person game, two parts of your body detect motion. First, your eyes read the virtual movement of your character in a game such as "Quake" or "Descent 3." Second, your inner ear -- which contains a balance mechanism that allows you to judge your center of gravity and not fall over when walking -- senses that you're sitting still.

When these two sensory readings conflict with one another during 3D gaming, the central nervous system decides to react to this confusion by unsettling your stomach.

I don't recommend Dramamine since it's sure to affect your game performance, but here's what you can do:

Turn off the feature usually referred to as "headbob." Headbob exists in first-person games such as "Unreal Tournament" and "Quake III Arena" that simulate the motion of the head moving up and down when the body is in locomotion.

The quality of the image on your computer screen can make a difference. Some game effects such as textures and dynamic lighting can bog down the speed of the game and give it a choppy, jumpy pace that can make one feel ill. Experiment in the video options menu by turning down the effects to produce smoother play.

You also can play the game without it filling up your entire monitor. This can give your eyes some stomach-settling perspective, although you won't be as immersed in the game. [i.e. sitting away from the monitor or screen]

The irony is that the very appeal of these games -- the illusion that the gamer is directly part of the action -- is the cause of your son's condition. The upside is that he's not the only one who has this problem, and complaints may encourage the industry to find a solution.

Last edited by Outlaw; 10-21-02 at 10:52 PM.
Old 10-22-02, 02:50 AM

No way. The original TS gets this vote. My friend got messed up when he first got it. It never affected me too bad. I just get really into it. It is intense though.
Old 10-27-02, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Man I just got TS2......and........getting.......sick AH!! i mean i play the heck out of Halo and Medal of Honor and UT and stuff...... and this is making me sick..... I think at least.....
Old 10-27-02, 02:07 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
We have this game at work playable for PS2. I get sick in about 10 minutes playing it. Oh well, one less game to buy.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.