Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Jim Carrey's "Man On The Moon" on Comedy Central tonight (10/20)

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-02, 11:42 AM

Received 799 Likes on 522 Posts

I skipped this one in the theater and wouldn't even bother renting it, but I might watch it tonight. It's on at 7:30 PM EST/6:30 PM CST. Check your local listings to make sure.
Old 10-20-02, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's a REAL love or hate movie. I personally loved every minute of it, and the final scenes choke me up. Carrey is Kauffman reincaranted. Check it out, you owe it to yourself.
Old 10-20-02, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
This was the first film where I needed to leave the theater for a few minutes to catch my breath from laughing. Jim Carrey as Andy Kaufman as Tony Clifton wreaking havoc on the set of "Taxi" is absolutely classic.

Honk!
Old 10-20-02, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I know this is TV Talk, and I should support my favorite medium, but rent the DVD. Don't watch it in what's sure to be a mutilated form.

As to the film, whether you agree with the interpretation/timeline or not, it's a brilliant piece of work.

das
Old 10-20-02, 06:59 PM

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts
This really shouldn't be on Comedy Central. Sure it stars Jim Carrey and is about comedian Andy Kauffman, but there is much more to the story that is not so funny.
Old 10-20-02, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I saw this movie on DVD awhile ago because Jim Carrey is my idol. I didn't know much about Andy Kaufman since he's a little before my time and I never watched "Taxi", but I thought the movie was quite good. A departure from Carrey classics such as "Dumb and Dumber" and the "Ace Ventura" series, but good in its own right. I'm sure I would've appreciated it even more if I had grown up watching Kaufman and his antics.

Old 10-20-02, 08:50 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't know...this movie definitely ran, well, not on the dislike or hate side, but it just didn't do wonders for me. I mean, I've never seen a LOT of Kaufman, but I have whatever I could find on tape, and it captivates me.

The problem with this movie...was that all it did was recreate Kaufman's BEST scenes, which, if you look hard enough, still appear on TV every once in a while in KAUFMAN form. In my opinion, he can't be topped, and it's hard to top someone at their own game.

Still, it was a magnificent performance by Carrey. He has an EXCELLENT impersonation...it's just hard for me to get the same impact of someone ELSE doing the lines.
Old 10-20-02, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Must be Jim Carrey Day, Liar Liar and Ace Ventura were also aired today.
Old 10-21-02, 08:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally posted by Samuel
Must be Jim Carrey Day, Liar Liar and Ace Ventura were also aired today.
Nothing special about the airing of Ace. HBO shows it 118 times per week.

Honk!
Old 10-21-02, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
A better recommendation would have been to watch the Andy Kauffman specials they were running on the weekend. One was his show at Carnegie Hall and the other was about his "wrestling career"

I would expect them to rerun these for as long as they'll be showing the movie. I'm sure they'll be running that for a while. Even if you don't find Andy funny, it's interesting to watch after having seen Jim Carrey impersonate him.
Old 10-21-02, 07:53 PM
Banned

the Kaufman wrestling one is a 1 hour documentary/film/compilation thing called "I'm From Hollywood"
Old 10-22-02, 12:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I love this movie. Carrey does a great job and should have received the oscar nomination.
Old 10-22-02, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I thought that this was a great movie as well. I was a fan of Kaufman, and thought that Carrey did an excellent job as Kaufman. It is not a movie that I would watch repeatedly (had it on DVD but traded it away), but it is definitely worth one viewing.