Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : High Speed Internet Access in Rural Area?

Charybdis
10-20-02, 12:45 AM
I "need" high speed internet access to run my home business. Cable and DSL are not options at this point. My only options (as far as I know are:

- ISDN from the phone company (about $250 install, and $115 a month)

- DirecTv internet (about $100 install, and $99 a month for the first 12 months, $49 a month thereafter).

Any opinions?

Thanks.

MitzEclipse
10-20-02, 01:00 AM
I'd say DirectTV is your best bet. Not only cheaper, but faster data transfer speeds too i believe.

OldDude
10-20-02, 10:09 AM
Most satellite broadband is high speed download only, and uses phone for (phone speed) upload, although there are some exceptions. Do you need mostly upload or download speed?

MitzEclipse
10-21-02, 04:25 PM
Very true. Using the phone for upload is crap in two ways 1) it's slow and 2) it ties up a phone line!

Sonicflood
10-21-02, 05:34 PM
DirecTV now has Direcway 2-way sat net service (no phone line used for upload)!

DIRECWAY Offered through DIRECTV uses the DW4000 two-way system. The DIRECWAY DW4000 Two-Way System allows you to send and receive information via satellite (a.k.a. satellite return). There's no need for the expense of a second phone line or hassles with logging in when you want to get onto the Internet.

Direcway Home Page (http://directv.direcway.com/main/index.html)

Good Luck!

Sonicflood

Mopower
10-21-02, 08:46 PM
If your phone company has DSL ask them what kind they have and how far the range is. Half of the DSL system at the telco I work for can be used in rural areas and has a range of 10 miles.

digidoh
11-15-07, 10:41 AM
It's been five years, so it's time to bump the thread.

My sister lives in rural south central Iowa (zip is 50228) and would like to have high-speed internet access. After a lot of searching it appeared, that her only choices were HughesNet and Wild Blue/My Blue Dish. I've read a lot of consumer complaints about lost service during winds and bad weather.

I then came across a listing for prairieinet and was intrigued. Seems they put an antenna on the highest building in town, which is where you aim your antenna. Then I came across this (undated) rant and wondered how typical it was.

http://www.davesplanet.net/prairieinet.net/prairieinet.net.htm

Does anyone have any experiences to share, suggestions, other services available in the area?

al_bundy
11-15-07, 10:55 AM
sounds like complaints from people who want too much

JB7
11-16-07, 10:36 PM
How about Verizon Wireless?

Mr. Salty
11-17-07, 05:46 PM
My brother has been using HughesNet for about a year and has been really happy. It's satellite for both upload and download.