Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Firefly (10/18/02)

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-02, 06:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Firefly (10/18/02)

This episode wasn't as good as the first two, IMO, but it still had its moments.

Umm, a planet whose chief export is mud? Yeah, whatever.

It was nice to see a more sensitive side of Jayne. River wasn't nearly as irritating as she was in the first episode, which was a big plus. Nice to see Simon and Kaylee getting closer...I like their chemistry.

I was like, "WTF?!?!" when young Higgins slept with Inara, and was basically like, "Is that it?" Dude! You just shagged a freakin' hottie! I still find it funny that prostitutes are considered upper-class and somewhat regal in the Firefly universe.

What was up with young Higgins in his last scene? When he was seated at the table, his legs were spread farther apart than Jenna Jameson. Maybe that was a metaphor for his having huge balls for defying his father?

I didn't like the mudder guy who was Elisha Cuthbert's kidnapper in "24". I'm glad he jumped in front of the shotgun blast. Kinda fake since Jayne would've most likely gotten hit too, but oh well. I'm glad kidnapper dude died.

Some of the funny lines that come to memory:

Shepherd: River come out!
River: I can't. Too much hair.
Zoe: River, he's putting it up now.
River: Doesn't matter. It'll still be there.

Higgins (to Inara): My son's 26 and he ain't yet a man!

Higgins: My boy's out there and I hope to God he's losing his cherry.

Jayne: Me. Jayne Cobb!
Mal: I know your name, jackass.

Jayne: You done got yourself mighty hideous looking.

Old 10-19-02, 07:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 144 Likes on 99 Posts
I agree that this episode wasn't as good as the previous one but it held its own.
Loved the way Inara pushed the dad out of the room, he was getting on my last nerve. I noticed the crotch shot of the son at the end too - good grief.
River's comments about Shepard's hair were hilarious!
Old 10-19-02, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was mildly amused by this episode. Still watching..!
Old 10-19-02, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
OK, it wasn't the best episode. But I still liked it, and at least it wasn't bad. It still gives me hope. If this is the worst it gets I'll keep watching.
Old 10-19-02, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I’m mightily flummoxed here. I don’t understand why I’m still watching.

Is it ‘cause it’s [so they’s a-tellin’] science fiction? That’s gotta be it. I don’t hold no credence to it just bein’ ‘cause it’s some of Joss Whedon’s makins.

Take a buncha folk what talks like fellas outa Paint Your Wagon. Throw in a coupla so-phisti-cated types what don’t use words like “ain’t” fer balance. [Whew! That’s tiresome. I’ll stop now.]

Basically, you’ve got a western. Add a [basically flawed] space premise. A spaceship. Instead of horses we get ATVs. Some oriental gibberish. Put in an “X-Files” element (River). And you’ve got a ruttin’ SciFi show, right? I don’t think so.

Maybe I like westerns?

I DO like that, so far, they’re using standalone episodes. It’s refreshing considering all the arc-driven stuff out there. And, for some reason, Kaylee gives me the hot.

I’ve mentioned on this board and elsewhere that I feel bad scifi is better than no scifi at all.* Since this is not scifi, I guess I can still go with that. Gorrammit.

*Battlefield Earth notwithstanding.
Old 10-19-02, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Ben “The Tick” Edlund wrote this episode, and I thought it was dammed funny. Moved very well. Not the greatest, but the characterizations, jokes, and acting beat the Hell out of Enterprise.

Unfortunately the ratings are not very good (WB worthy but not Fox worthy), and I think this show has potential to grow if people would just stick with it and give it a chance. Wasn’t like Buffy started out all that great either.
Old 10-19-02, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Was “Buffy” slow to start in the ratings? I wouldn’t know one way or the other. I do know that I was interested from the first episode.

“Show X was slow in the beginning.” Is this some sort of mantra? Some kinda excuse? “Enterprise” was show in the beginning. It still drags. The only reason it’s still on is because it [pretends to be] Trek and the suits are behind it, good bad or otherwise. And, of course, we’re still watching it.

I’m having trouble adjusting the bar. I think it's been reset at a low level, and folks have become accustomed to it.

Yes, I thought it was damn_funny. But it's not scifi, and that's what I came for.
Old 10-19-02, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally posted by Wizdar
Was “Buffy” slow to start in the ratings? I wouldn’t know one way or the other. I do know that I was interested from the first episode.

“Show X was slow in the beginning.” Is this some sort of mantra? Some kinda excuse?
I was meaning in term of Whedon shows- not a blanket statement. Most fans, and Whedon himslef, seem to agree that Buffy didnt find its creative ground, really start clicking, until the second season. Admittedly its not fantastic, but Firefly is funny and okay enough. At four episodes in, I think it still has promise and I'm not going to write it off yet, give it a chance to find the right gear.
Old 10-19-02, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
This was a good episode. I also noticed that it was written by Ben Edlund, the creator of "The Tick", so it was filled with very good character interaction tidbits, and gets a lot of chuckles and laughs out of characters that we've only seen for 4 hours. I'm liking Firefly very much.

The preacher's hair just undid me, I was also LOL big time at River's reaction. And I'm so happy that River is actually regaining her braininess and is now getting back to super coherency.

If anyone cares, this is really episode 6 of season 1 of Firefly, but Fox decided to skip episodes 4 and 5 (which means we missed River gradually getting back to her version of normalcy).

There's a lot of good possibilities for good stories out of the main crew and its passenger of Firefly. You could do a whole lot worse on TV, that's for sure.
Old 10-19-02, 10:59 PM
Needs to provide a working email

Keep walking, preacher-man.
Old 10-20-02, 02:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
Originally posted by Patman
This was a good episode. I also noticed that it was written by Ben Edlund, the creator of "The Tick", so it was filled with very good character interaction tidbits, and gets a lot of chuckles and laughs out of characters that we've only seen for 4 hours. I'm liking Firefly very much.

The preacher's hair just undid me, I was also LOL big time at River's reaction. And I'm so happy that River is actually regaining her braininess and is now getting back to super coherency.

If anyone cares, this is really episode 6 of season 1 of Firefly, but Fox decided to skip episodes 4 and 5 (which means we missed River gradually getting back to her version of normalcy).

There's a lot of good possibilities for good stories out of the main crew and its passenger of Firefly. You could do a whole lot worse on TV, that's for sure.
I really hate watching a series out of order, so how did you get to see the episodes that haven't been aired yet? I downloaded the 2 episode pilot, and actually was really intrigued by River from those 2 episodes, and actually wanted more background on her even though everyone else seems annoyed by her. Anyway I could maybe get a hold of those two episodes?
Old 10-20-02, 06:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I really liked this episode. I cracked up when they sang the Rayne tribute song. It seemed to me that there was a lot more humour in this one than previous episodes, and that is why I liked it.

I hate that it aired out of order though. One week River is almost like a deaf mute, the next week she is carrying on conversations and even getting some cheap shots in at the preacher!
Old 10-22-02, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I can't quite put my finger on it but this show just clicks with me. I am really starting to like the characters. The shows are funny but very well put together and the story lines are usually entertaining. All the characters are actually pretty easy to like (except the doctor i think it is Simon) I didn't like Jayne at first but this episode let us get to know him as something more than a jackass or hard ass. I am sticking with this show!
Old 10-22-02, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I really like it when a serious or action driven show can consistently work humor into its shows. Whedon is a master at this, with his work on Buffy and Firefly.
Old 10-22-02, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts
Firefly is one of our 6 must see shows each week.
Old 10-25-02, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I know I'm late but I just had to chime in that I too thought this episode was hilarious. I was laughing so hard I had to keep stopping the tape so I wouldn't miss any of the great lines. A HUGE improvement over the previous 3 eps. I hope they air the pilot ep someday.
Old 10-26-02, 12:37 AM
MrN

Re: Firefly (10/18/02)

Late watcher here also.

I thought it was funny.

Originally posted by immortal_zeus
I still find it funny that prostitutes are considered upper-class and somewhat regal in the Firefly universe.

She's not a regular prostitute, she's a 'companion' - I think her character is loosely based on the concubines from Dune.
Old 10-26-02, 06:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Re: Firefly (10/18/02)

Originally posted by MrN

She's not a regular prostitute, she's a 'companion' - I think her character is loosely based on the concubines from Dune.
Yes, I know she's a "registered companion", but the only thing I can relate her to is a regal prostitute of sorts. I've never seen Dune so I can't make that comparison.

Old 10-26-02, 11:29 PM
MrN

What I'm saying is, I don't think all prostitutes are regal in the show. I guess this way the writers can keep the character sympathetic, despite her profession.
Old 10-27-02, 06:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by MrN
What I'm saying is, I don't think all prostitutes are regal in the show. I guess this way the writers can keep the character sympathetic, despite her profession.
I'm not saying all prostitutes are regal, either, but I guess I didn't say it the way I should have.

I understand your point. I guess I should have said that I find it funny that a prostitute can be upper-class.

Old 10-27-02, 08:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
In Dune, I think they were called the "Honored Matres".

I think Inari's character is a nod to how all whore our self-respect in order to make a living in some respects, so don't get all uptight about forms of prostitution.