Help W/ Xbox and Broadband Needed

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 10-17-02, 01:54 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok,
So I have a cable modem and an XBOX. I plan on getting XBOX-Live but I have a problem. The cable modem is in the basement with the computer and the XBOX is upstairs on the big screen. How do I hook them up? I guess i could just get 100 ft of cable and run it to the XBOX whe I want to play, but that is a hastle and looks like hell.

I also have cable (duh) up by the TV, but no cable modem. I could move the cable modem up there when I need to play, but again, this is a hastle.

Wireless? I would do this, but cant figure out the configuration. I get that I need a wireless router, but then what? All I see is NIC cards for the computer or wireless PCMCIA Cards.

Anyone want to take a stab at this?
Old 10-17-02, 04:46 PM

There are wireless PCI cards for the PC or you can get the USB external wireless adapters. But wireless is the way to go. Move your cable modem to where the XBox is and then get yourself a wireless router with 4 ports for Ethernet. Enjoy.
Old 10-17-02, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

You'll need two wireless components:

One is a wireless bridge like the Linksys WET11. It has a RJ45 connector which you use with a patch cable to connect to the XBox.

The other thing you should get would be a wireless router/firewall/switch like this SMC unit. This plugs into your cable modem and your computer plugs into it. There will be a few additional ports for you to plug in additional computers should the need arise, but the important thing is that it also acts as a wireless access point (AP) so that it can talk to the WET11 mentioned above.
Old 10-17-02, 09:17 PM
Banned

Originally posted by belboz
You'll need two wireless components:

One is a wireless bridge like the Linksys WET11. It has a RJ45 connector which you use with a patch cable to connect to the XBox.

The other thing you should get would be a wireless router/firewall/switch like this SMC unit. This plugs into your cable modem and your computer plugs into it. There will be a few additional ports for you to plug in additional computers should the need arise, but the important thing is that it also acts as a wireless access point (AP) so that it can talk to the WET11 mentioned above.
THANKS !
This is the solution that I was looking for, but it looks like I will be keeping an eye out for sales, this solution is about $300.00, but it is exactly what I need.