Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Ok...Why should I get a DISH instead of "Digital Cable"?

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-02, 03:47 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,121 Posts

...or vice versa?

I haven't had TV in my new apartment since I moved in a couple months ago. I've missed The Sopranos, Birds of Prey, ENTERPRISE, NEWS, The ANNA NIC( . Y . )LE SMITH SHOW ( ) , and various other violent, sexually explicit, and otherwise mindless Gar-bajh.

I miss TV!

So i'm trying to decide what to get to change this. Cable or a Dish.

What should I do?

Your opninions are needed.
Old 10-17-02, 03:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unless you can get digital cable other than AT&T, your decision is a no-brainer. AT&T Cable is evil. You can either accept that or regret it later. Countless others have argued against this before realizing it's only a matter of time before they bend you over and rape you Oz-style. You have been warned.

das
Old 10-17-02, 06:29 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally posted by das Monkey
Unless you can get digital cable other than AT&T, your decision is a no-brainer. AT&T Cable is evil. You can either accept that or regret it later. Countless others have argued against this before realizing it's only a matter of time before they bend you over and rape you Oz-style. You have been warned.

das

IF i go with digital cable, Time Warner is the main Cable provider in my area. I've had them for regular cable before.
Old 10-17-02, 06:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ive had both, I think dish network or directv is better than digital cable.
Old 10-17-02, 06:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
In my area cable is at least 25% more in cost for comparable programming even before you consider quality and hardware.
Old 10-17-02, 07:15 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I used digital cable for a few months last year before moving. The only reason was because I could get cable internet access thrown in for only $25 a month. That was sweeeet.
Old 10-17-02, 07:28 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally posted by atlantamoi
I used digital cable for a few months last year before moving. The only reason was because I could get cable internet access thrown in for only $25 a month. That was sweeeet.
so you moved and dumped it?

What are you using now?
Old 10-17-02, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

In that case, I too have had both. I had BellSouth's digital cable because I couldn't get satellite at the time. It was good, but DirecTV is significantly better. But then I need (yes, NEED ) NFL Sunday Ticket, ESPN GamePlan, Fox SportsWorld, etc. As with all things, it depends on your particular preference. If you were able to go without a TV for months, then your criteria obvious differs from mine.

das
Old 10-17-02, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 614 Likes on 493 Posts
The only reason I would choose a Dish (Direct-TV only) over digital cable is for Sunday Ticket. Hopefully, with Direct-TV's exclusive deal ending after this season, this will no longer be an issue. Digital Cable offers all of the other sports packages.

Also, if your apt doesn't face south, you won't have a choice anyway.
Old 10-17-02, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

You don't need cable for ENTERPRISE or BIRDS OF PREY. They're on broadcast networks. You COULD just get a set top antenna and save yourself $$$$. Of course, you'd still have to rent SOPRANOS on DVD...
Old 10-17-02, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Switched over to Dish Network last when my cable company went from Comcast to AT&T Broadband. No regrets. Got the superstation pack which allows me to get east coast feeds of UPN and East/West/Denver feeds of WB. (This was pre-SHIVA, so the local WB/UPN wasn't being offerred.)

If you do decide to go with DBS, compare the programming packages first to see what's best for your needs. While most of the mainstream programming is duplicated on both services, it may be placed in a different package. Niche programming will also play a factor.

I would strongly encourage you to consider getting a PVR unit, whether it be a Dish 508 (more capacity than the 501) or a DirecTivo. It's better than a VCR, especially since it records the exact datastream as sent down from the satellite.
Old 10-17-02, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I've had both Dish Network (with the Dishplayer) and DirecTV with Tivo (DirecTivo). Go with DirecTivo, it will change your life. Suddenly the flowers are brighter and the sunshine is warmer. You can watch all of your favorite shows when YOU want to (because the Tivo recorded them), and you can skip the commercials too. You can also record two things at once. It will also record things it thinks you will like (which you can ignore if you want to or simply tell it not to). Dish Network PVRs are poor imitations and are more of a pain than a joy.
Old 10-17-02, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally posted by Steve Phillips
You don't need cable for ENTERPRISE or BIRDS OF PREY. They're on broadcast networks. You COULD just get a set top antenna and save yourself $$$$. Of course, you'd still have to rent SOPRANOS on DVD...

Yeah I know but the cables coming ni aren't gving any reception.

and the people living there before me were time warner cable employees so you would think some kinda "hook up" would be working...but it's not.
Old 10-17-02, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally posted by Numanoid
I've had both Dish Network (with the Dishplayer) and DirecTV with Tivo (DirecTivo). Go with DirecTivo, it will change your life. Suddenly the flowers are brighter and the sunshine is warmer. You can watch all of your favorite shows when YOU want to (because the Tivo recorded them), and you can skip the commercials too. You can also record two things at once. It will also record things it thinks you will like (which you can ignore if you want to or simply tell it not to). Dish Network PVRs are poor imitations and are more of a pain than a joy.

this sound cool!

I'll have to do some research.
Old 10-17-02, 05:02 PM
DAC
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I too have had Dish Network with personal video recorder and switched to Directv with Tivo (duel tuners) three months ago. just wished I'd changed sooner. Directv and Tivo are going their separate ways, but they will still have the service.
Old 10-17-02, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

• Quoth Giantrobo •<HR SIZE=1>I'll have to do some research. <HR SIZE=1>

I'll save you the trouble. DirecTiVo is one of God's finest creations, up there with breasts and nachos.

das
Old 10-17-02, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I sooooo want a directtivo.

Someone tell me it costs 1000 bucks to buy and is 80 dollars a month. C'mon I'm trying to save for a house here.
Old 10-17-02, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by CharlesC

Someone tell me it costs 1000 bucks to buy and is 80 dollars a month. C'mon I'm trying to save for a house here.
That someone would be either lying or misinformed. The upfront equipment cost differs, depending on where you buy (usually in the $150 - $300 range). I bought lifetime Tivo service (no monthly charge) for $250 a few months back, or you could pay $9.99 a month. I think the pricing structure has changed, at least in regard to DirecTivo - the monthly fee is either $4.95 a month now or $0, I don't remember which. You do have to pay for the satellite service, though, which is probably where they got the $80 figure (that would be for every channel they offer). The basic DirecTV package is around $39 a month, same as cable.
Old 10-17-02, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Numanoid
I've had both Dish Network (with the Dishplayer) and DirecTV with Tivo (DirecTivo). (Text deleted.) Dish Network PVRs are poor imitations and are more of a pain than a joy.
Uh, the Dishplayer was a (failed) joint venture between MicroSoft and Dish Network, and is no longer being sold by Dish Network.

The Dish PVR 501/508 and 721 are internally developed products by Dish Network. While I can't comment on the 721, I can comment on the 501, and for a fee-free PVR, it does a pretty good job. Basically, the 50x is a timer-based PVR, and has no monthly fees. The latest firmware upgrade (P166) has been extremely stable. (Now, if only I could upgrade the hard drive).

The DirecTivo, on the other hand, is a fee-based PVR in which you have to pay a monthly fee to use the PVR features, or pay for a lifetime subscription. It uses named-based recordings rather than timer-based, and have some additional bells and whistles. The DirecTivos are being replaced with the DirecTivo Series II and a new fee structure. DirecTV does not make a fee-free PVR.

I personally don't have the need for the extra bells and whistles offerred by the Tivo, so the 501 suits me just fine.

There is an excellent web board, www.dbstalk.com , where you can pose your DBS questions.
Old 10-17-02, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Name-based recordings isn't like a gold-plated dash. It's like brakes.

I tell my DirecTiVo to record Smallville, Haunted and Life with Bonnie. It says, oh, well, that's too many shows, but I see Smallville repeats at another time, so I'll record it then and get those two now. Being able to record over 149 hours at maximum quality, straight from the DirecTV feed ain't too shabby either.

das
Old 10-17-02, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
watch the pixelation when it rains with sat
Old 10-17-02, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

• Quoth mikehunt •<HR SIZE=1>watch the pixelation when it rains with sat <HR SIZE=1>

True ... this is always something to at least be aware of. If you install it properly, you won't have to worry about this in any capacity larger than you'd have to worry about your cable going out, but still, be aware of it. I never have problems with rain, but in a serious nighttime storm where the clouds get REALLY black, I'll lose signal for a bit. But, as I said, when I had cable, when the bad storms came, I'd lose signal too, so I don't really differentiate them. Your experience, of course, will differ based on location and provider.

das
Old 10-17-02, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by das Monkey
Name-based recordings isn't like a gold-plated dash. It's like brakes.
Whatever works best. I don't want to get into a debate as to which PVR is the best. All I suggest is that, if you are getting a DBS, that you get a receiver with a intergrated PVR. You will not regret it.

One note on programming: Most of the channels carried on DBS are east coast feeds. Something to keep in mind.
Old 10-17-02, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by CharlesC

God, what an egregious lie this is !!!!

Equipment - The new Hughes HDVR2 (second generation DirecTiVo) sell at Circuit City for $199 installed, and there are reports they go for $139 to a new subscriber after rebate.

Programming - Total Choice Plus w/locals (130 channels or so) is $39.99 a month + $4.99 for TiVo service. If you take TC Premier (all movie & regional sports channels, not NFLST/MLBEI/NBALP/NHLCI) the price is $86 and TiVo service is thrown in free.

Go here for TONS of info and opinions -

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb....php?forumid=7

Whoever told you that "1000 bucks" crap needs to be bitch-slapped

Last edited by NC-36; 10-17-02 at 09:32 PM.
Old 10-17-02, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by mikehunt
watch the pixelation when it rains with sat
You mean "rain fade"? That can only occur if the dish isn't peaked or if there is an extremely heavy rainstorm. Even then, it will last only a few minutes.

Both DBS systems rely on the Ku-band section of the spectrum. In the past six months, EchoStar has replaced EchoStar 4 with EchoStar 7 at the 119 position, and is currently transferring programming from EchoStar 5 to EchoStar 8 at the 110 position. Both satellites put out a stronger signal, making the signal less susceptable to "rain fade". DirecTV has probably done the same thing with their birds.

My picture with Dish is still better than it was over cable.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.