Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

What's the best deal on PS2 Memory?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-02, 07:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What's the best deal on PS2 Memory?

Where can I find the best deal on PS2 Memory cards? I'd like to buy new, but I guess I'll consider Half.com. Any ideas?
Old 10-16-02, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Go to Best Buy. In the video game department they will have a rack of CD jewel cases, each case containing a Gift Card. They have no pre-paid value, so take a few up to the register and put $5 on each one.

On the back of each Gift Card is a coupon for $5 off any game or accessory $19.99 and up. Since you put $5 on each when you bought it, each card/coupon combo is now worth $10 off. The cards never expire, but the coupon is good through Dec 31, 2003.

Take one of these cards you just paid $5 for and look for this -

http://www.bestbuy.com/videogames/De...&cat=955&scat=

This 2-pack of official Sony 8mb memory cards goes for $40, so put $30 along with your Gift Card/coupon and get the 2-pack. If they don't have the 2-packs in the store, a single 8mb card goes for $25, so $15 and a GC/coupon will get you 1 card.

Don't get memory cards made by anyone else. They tend to be flaky, and often require a CD for formatting them. Sony cards work first time, every time with no problems.
Old 10-16-02, 08:25 PM

Thanks for your help.
Old 10-17-02, 02:48 AM

http://www.buy.com/retail/games/prod...2447&loc=15298

Buy.com has the Sony 2 pack of Memory Cards for 31.99 shipped (qualifies for their free shipping promotion)!! I picked it up there.
Old 10-17-02, 03:03 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by NC-36

Don't get memory cards made by anyone else. They tend to be flaky, and often require a CD for formatting them. Sony cards work first time, every time with no problems.

wish someone told me that way back when. i haven't had any problems so far, but putting in the disc then loading the game is a pain in the ass, however when i play i usually sit down for a long amount of time and don't swtich games much. and it may not be compatiable with some games, i noticed one new ps2 game wouldn't recognize it, forget which game though.
Old 10-17-02, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,944 Likes on 1,505 Posts
I wholeheartedly agree that you should always buy first party memory cards. In fact, usually I recommend that for everything, especially controllers, but there are some exceptions.

Years ago, I bought one of those cheap memory cards for the PS1 that could hold 12 x the normal card, but was paged. There was a little button you pressed on the card to get to different pages, each of which acted like a separate memory card. Cool, I thought, that's all I need. Since my old memory card (made by Sony) was full, I played Final Fatasy VII on it. All Summer long, back home for vacation.

I hadn't beaten it, since I was intent on getting all the little secrets and sidequests. When I came back to college, I was on disk four, yet I found all of my data erased. Now this was a card that was particularly problematic, but I will never buy a third party memory card ever again.

Of course, if you want a memory card that looks like Spiderman, third party is the only way to go...