Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Will GTA Vice City have an in-game map.

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-02, 01:56 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Will GTA Vice City have an in-game map.

What I mean is a map on a subscreen that shows the entire city (or area of city) that shows where you're currently at, where all the important permanent places are (you're hideout, the locations of the gangsters you're working for, ammunition shops, bomb shops, pay N sprays etc.) and where you currently need to go during the mission you're working on.

The radar was inadequate in GTA3 IMO. It seems that most of the challenge isn't actually killing people, or getting away from the cops, but rather doing a mission over and over until you find the quickest route from where your at to where you need to be.

A map subscreen showing the whole city would eliminate this for the most part. It does have to spoil everything by showing every short cut or the location of things like the wanted status reduction stars. It would just be a full city version of the Radar basically.

If Vice City lacks this map, I won't bother buying the game, as it's the main reason that I haven't really gotten into GTA3 yet.
Old 10-15-02, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It would be nice. But I never had much problem with the radar, part of the game was learning the streets and I did that pretty quickly.
Old 10-15-02, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah, it was a PITA in GTA3 when I first crossed the bridge and had to find my way back. I eventually had everything memorized so I could fly through with no problems, but for a while I kept failing this one mission because I couldn't find my way across in time.
Even though I haven't played GTA3 in about 4 months, I'm quite anxious to get my pre-order of VC now.....
Old 10-15-02, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I've noticed that people without good spatial orientation have trouble playing GTA3, because it requires you to hold a mental map of the entire city in your head, and rotate it as needed.

Personally, I don't have a problem with it, but I don't get lost much in real life either. It was difficult at first, because you didn't get a real chance to leisurely explore the city before starting on missions that required you know where you were going. I found that doing a few Taxi | Vigilante | Firefighter | Paramedic missions helped a whole lot.

I'm not entirely sure that having a whole city map would help me all that much, though it might be nice to be able to zoom the current map in and out, or if it worked like the maps on Midnight Club. If it was a full screen map that you had to press "start" to see, I'd probably never use it.
Old 10-15-02, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Half the fun was figuring out the City and exploring them. The only problem I had with the radar was the lack of elevation indicator...it made loooking for items on multiple levels pretyy hard.
Old 10-15-02, 06:40 PM
Retired

I don't have the time to devote to gaming to play often enough to get the city memorized. If you play several times a week, it's not a problem. I only have time for games in general a few times a week, and I'm usually playing more than one, so it makes it tough.

Plus exploring and memorizing streets and locations just isn't my idea of fun.

No map=no sale for me. Though there's a good chance I might not buy it anyway with all the other great stuff coming out. But if there's no map that'll seal the deal for me.
Old 10-15-02, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I don't remember there being more than 2 or 3 missions where knowing a shortcut was at all important.
Old 10-15-02, 06:49 PM
Retired

It's not knowing a short cut, but several missions have you needing to get to lose a wanted level, and not showing the closest pay and spray. If you don't know where it's at, you're screwed. Also it's tough to find certain places between missions. Like the dude mentioned above, I had a hell of a tough time finding my way back to portland after taking the boat to staunton island. I also have a tough time finding the police station in portland when I want to pick up a cop car easy.

Things like that just annoy me. But it's really only the biggest gripe of several I have with the game. I just can't seem to get totally into it. The missions are so hit and miss. A couple will be cool, and I'll start to get in the game. Then you get several lame ones that kill my desire to play. Going around and randomly causing mayhem ceased to amuse me after a couple hours.

I was hoping Vice City would have a map, then I'd rent it and see if the missions were better. A lot seems improved (more cars, ability to go in tons of buildings etc.) so I'm willing to give it a chance.....if it has a map.
Old 10-15-02, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Oh yeah, and I forgot about the paper map that was included in the game. That was almost as helpful as any in game map would be.
Old 10-15-02, 06:58 PM
Retired

The paper map was helpful, but it can be tough to find your current location.
Old 10-15-02, 07:49 PM

they should use a map system like the one in MAFIA
Old 10-15-02, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I played the game so much I knew the shortest way to anywhere. I agree a better map system would be nice when first starting out. However, I have no doubt I will probably end up memorizing Vice City as well.
Old 10-15-02, 10:38 PM
Retired

So no one's heard anything about there being a map in Vice City?
Old 10-15-02, 10:46 PM
Video Game Talk Editor

The paper map in GTA3 was worthless. You couldn't tell where anything was.

I seriously doubt Vice City will come with an in-game map like the original Driver, which had a great map. Probably just another crap paper map.
Old 10-16-02, 01:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

When I first started playing I hated that I had to keep using the map to see where everything was, but as someone said, do some taxi/paramedic/fire/vigilante missions and you learn it quick. I hadn't played it in months and I started playing it on PC in my spare tiem and I still remember stuff. I can't wait to get this one by the way.
Old 10-16-02, 01:10 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
And I ran, I ran so far away.
I just ran, I ran all night and day.
I couldn't get away.

God, I can't wait to blast that music while cruising around town getting familiar with all the streets, and also running from the cops with that song will be perfect.
Old 10-16-02, 01:46 AM
Mod Emeritus

Missions spanning all three maps were the worst, especially when it involved finding something you haven't seen before in each map. The mission you have to go around smashing into those drug stands on each map was the point I lost interest in the game unfortunately. If the game could get the level of 3rd person graphics to SOCOM level, while keeping the big city, and putting in a stronger driving engine, that would be awesome.
Old 10-16-02, 08:07 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Wow, you people need a course in cartography.
Old 10-16-02, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Part of the challenge of the game was to figure out the city. I really don't have a problem with no map.
Old 10-16-02, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
Originally posted by Gallant Pig
Missions spanning all three maps were the worst, especially when it involved finding something you haven't seen before in each map. The mission you have to go around smashing into those drug stands on each map was the point I lost interest in the game unfortunately. If the game could get the level of 3rd person graphics to SOCOM level, while keeping the big city, and putting in a stronger driving engine, that would be awesome.
Wow that's a coincidence. That is the EXACT same mission where I quit playing GTA3. I tried doing it with a fast car to speed up, but it kept getting destroyed. Then I tried a more durable car, but driving took forever. I hated this mission, especially since the map was annoying. I always wanted to go back and beat the game, but I just don't want to do that damn mission.
Old 10-16-02, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,650 Likes on 1,031 Posts
Eh, I took five minutes on each island and figured out the route to the pay-n-spray garages. Never had a problem finding them after that.

I just found that as I played the game I learned were everything was. Never really had a problem with the map.
Old 10-16-02, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by spainlinx0
Wow that's a coincidence. That is the EXACT same mission where I quit playing GTA3. I tried doing it with a fast car to speed up, but it kept getting destroyed. Then I tried a more durable car, but driving took forever. I hated this mission, especially since the map was annoying. I always wanted to go back and beat the game, but I just don't want to do that damn mission.
You really need a buleltproof car to do this mission, preferably the bulletproof hummer. If you're a poor driver, you might have to take it back to the pay and spray once, but you still should have plenty of time.
Old 10-16-02, 10:36 AM
Retired

Ok, I'm glad you guys don't need a map, but only one or two people have mentioned anything about whether Vice City will have a map (which is the point of the thread.)
Old 10-16-02, 10:42 AM
Mod Emeritus

I think a map that shows up when you pause is a fantastic idea. Yeah the print map was ok, but like Josh said you can't see where you are on it. I'm not all that enthusiastic about Vice City. I won't be excited about the series until they overhaul it graphically hopefully on a more powerful console.
Old 10-16-02, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

That mission is about 3 1/2 times easier if you just take out the stands with grenades.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.