DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Need Advise Before I Buy

Tony
10-13-02, 09:09 PM
As an update my wife got me a Sony XBR KV-36VBR800.
http://www.sonystyle.com/home/item.jsp?hierc=9685x9800x9801&itemid=36588
I'm looking to get a nice receiver and speakers to match the TV upgrade.

I was thinking of getting the following.

The Receiver:
Yamaha RX-V1300
http://www.yamaha.com/yec/products/RECEIVER/RX-V1300.htm

The Floor Speakers:
Klipsch RF-3 II
http://www.bizrate.com/marketplace/product_info/details__cat_id--11560000,prod_id--6429879,de_id--212.html

For the Center Speaker:
Klipsch SC-3 II
http://www.epinions.com/Klipsch_SC_1_627389

I think these will sound very well sound very well together.

Any advise?
Should I get these?
Are they any good?

Tony

gcribbs
10-14-02, 01:27 AM
The RF is the reference series and the SC is the Synergy series(it is the sc-1) these do not match and would not be good choices together.

Get the RC-3 II as a match for the RF-3 II.

I would also give the Denon 2802 a listen since it is close in price to the Yamaha

Good luck and let us know what you picked :)

Brian Shannon
10-14-02, 06:48 AM
I think these will sound very well sound very well together

Have you listened to the speakers?

What do you think of them?

Tony
10-14-02, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by Brian Shannon
Have you listened to the speakers?

What do you think of them?
I did and I liked the way they sounded in the Store, but sometimes, they sound different when you get them home.

I was just making sure I getting speakers that sound good.

Tony
10-14-02, 11:25 AM
Originally posted by gcribbs
The RF is the reference series and the SC is the Synergy series(it is the sc-1) these do not match and would not be good choices together.

Get the RC-3 II as a match for the RF-3 II.

I would also give the Denon 2802 a listen since it is close in price to the Yamaha

Good luck and let us know what you picked :)

Thanks for the advise about the Center Speaker.
The salesperson at Sound Advise told me that this is the best set-up.
From looking at the Klipsch website it says that the RC-3 II is a better match for the RF-3 II, as well.

I will take a look (listen) to the Denon 2802

Thank-You
Tony

Brian Shannon
10-14-02, 11:51 AM
I did and I liked the way they sounded in the Store, but sometimes, they sound different when you get them home.

Good point. Make sure they have a good return policy.

Trust your ears :)

skar
10-14-02, 12:05 PM
How much music will you be listening to on this system? What genres? I'm asking because I find the Klipsch RF series sounds very good with movies and rock music, but I prefer other speakers in the same price range for classical music. Their 98dB sensitivity is the best I've seen for the price.

Another receiver to check out is the Onkyo SR-700. It and the Denon 2802 are both excellent receivers, although the Yamaha is good also.

bfrank
10-14-02, 01:12 PM
98 dB is a lie!

Still well reguarded product but not 98 dB :lol:

Tony
10-14-02, 05:09 PM
Originally posted by skar
How much music will you be listening to on this system? What genres? I'm asking because I find the Klipsch RF series sounds very good with movies and rock music.

I mostly be listing to movies.
The only time it would be used for Music is once a month for a dinner party, and that is a light jazz just for the noise.
And one a week the cleaning lady comes in a plays Latin music, while she's cleaning.

Kman1011
10-14-02, 07:30 PM
Tony,
the refernce series is great, If you want tell me whta you want and what sound advices price to you is and I will beat it shipped right to your door from an authorized retailer.

Kman1011
10-14-02, 07:31 PM
98 db is not a lie, I have heard it and saw it proved.

Sdallnct
10-16-02, 11:53 PM
I use to sell Higher End audio in High School (way before surround sound). We use to joke that you could drive Klipsh with a clock radio!

The point has been made "do they have a return policy". Try to listen to the exact set up you want. If you are indeed serious about buying all from the same store, then I would be surprised if the would NOT set it all up for you in the store to listen. Yes, it will still be different then at home, but at least you will have some idea.

Listen. If you like, buy. If you don't try something else.