Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

horrible horror?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-02, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
horrible horror?

julie walker's post made me ponder...

what is the worst horror film ever?

the one film that immediately comes to mind is 'people under the stairs' but certain circumstances surrounding when i saw it could influence it too (don't get me wrong, i still think it's pretty bad). i also remember hating 'lord of illusions' (i think that's the title).
Old 10-13-02, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Have you ever heard Plan 9 From Outer Space?? They said it is so badly made it turns out to be a comedy instead of horror.
Old 10-13-02, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: horrible horror?

Originally posted by hgar78
julie walker's post made me ponder...

what is the worst horror film ever?

i also remember hating 'lord of illusions' (i think that's the title).
Man, truly to each their own. Lord of Illusions is one of my all-time favorite movies & most watched DVDs.

If Feardotcom counts as a horror movie then it is without a doubt IMO the most awful horror movie ever made.
Old 10-13-02, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by eedoon
Have you ever heard Plan 9 From Outer Space?? They said it is so badly made it turns out to be a comedy instead of horror.
IMHO, it has become trite to label P9FOS as the "worst movie ever". It's actually quite entertaining and funny (albeit unintentionally so). Any movie that entertains can't be the worst ever.

"Visits? That would indicate visitors!"
Old 10-13-02, 03:17 PM

According to imdb.com it is Mangler 2 (2001), which is 1 on the Bottom Top 1 for horror films.
Old 10-13-02, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would go with Pieces & The Mutilator. I know some enjoy them on the so bad it's good level,but they did nothing for me. In fact i would need to be on some sort of substance to 'enjoy' those films. yet since i'm always sober since i dont drink,smoke or do drugs...that will never happen

Now a really entertaing 'bad' film that deliver's on the camp level is Psycho Cop 2 which i reviewed a few days ago

Thats how you make a entertaining 'bad' film..while the two mentioned above is how you make a movie so ineptly boring..you feel like going insane from it!
Old 10-13-02, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Pieces is absolutely the so bad its good type flick.

There are a lot of ways to define "bad", if its "has a completely undeserved cult following" my vote is for Dead Alive.
Old 10-13-02, 09:09 PM

IMHO the strange thing about horrible horror is that the worse it gets the funnier it becomes. Thus, the really "bad" ones become some of the best laughs and entertaining movies.

The same can not be said of most other genres. For example ~ A really bad comedy doesn't have the same entertainment value. If the comedy doesn't make you laugh there isn't much left to entertain. The same can be said of a drama.

Of course I'm speaking in a general sense, as I'm sure individual examples can be found to dispute my opinion. Thus the term "general"

I guess because of this I can't really answer the question as is. Maybe it would be better to ask about horror movies that don't shock or scare?

BTW: This is my last post until I return from my Arizona house hunting trip. I'll be back very late on the 23rd, so probably will not post until the 24th. Take care all and keep starting these great posts

Oh.....Phantom from 10,000 Leagues (1956), Monster from the Ocean Floor (1954) and Monster That Challenged the World, The (1957) are really bad horror movies. They don't make me laugh and certainly don't give anyone a scare. Maybe they can answer the question as is
Old 10-13-02, 09:27 PM

How i define a 'bad' film that so bad it's bad. Based on the amount of laughs/entertainment i get from the film.

Since my head felt like exploding & i was just in pure bordom hell with Pieces & the other film. I could not enjoy them for their badness since i was bored out of my mind. now had they more energy to them & some flare that makes them entertaining in a bad way to me..that i like the film for unintentional camp value.

Another good bad film to me is Slaughter High..it's hilariously bad..yet still entertaining. Just try not to laugh at there plans to escape by ramming through a door with a rid-mower that has a top speed of 5 miles an hour!
Old 10-13-02, 10:26 PM

Rawhead Rex is in my books as one of the worst movies (horror or not) of all time..
Old 10-14-02, 06:51 AM

add Final Stab to the list!!

I only saw 5 minutes of this piece of crap by skipping through a few chapter's & right off the bat you can tell this film blows chunks & not in a good way!

The title i'm sure was taken from Scream as it appear's the 'filmmaker's who are just a bunch of kids from the looks of it,shooting a home movie somehow got this crap distibuted..meanwhile Rob Zombie attempting to make a real horror film,can't get his released? Oh how lame the film world is now adays & more proof to why horror is truly dead in the US!

Anyway it looks like it's sghot on digital video..i hate that for movies btw..since it doesn't look right,gets me dizzy & feels sick. Film still looks much better for movies...rather than pristine home video'sas digital video looks. The camera at every chapter stop..kept starting from the same shot of tree's,then pans down to whereever it's supposed to be. Meanwhile the cameraman thinking he's as talented as Sam Raimi keeps the camera at a certain angle so it appears the background is sideways..& just keeps turning the camera around,shoving it in peoples faces & so on.Theres no point or real direction going on.

Anyway i don't know what the film is about other than some dumb ass annoying rich kids are out in the middle of nowhere,trying to be cool with there cell phones..& getting killed off by some idtiot with a fake plastic knife & dumbass mask. It may be one of the teens,who knows..since it attempts to be a mystersy. I could'nt bear to waste my time with this crap & thus turned it off right away.

My older brother rented it on dvd to watch with his girlfriend. He thinks "Hmm this may be good..& have her in my arms!"..yet ends up being mad he wasted his $$$ on this crap right away.In fact when the film was over,his gf left soon after & it was'nt even midnight on a Saturday night!

& he wonder's why theres no good horro out there! I mean he just will not attempt renting anything 'old'..thus keeps wasting his time on crappy DTV 'horror' films hoping to find something good.

Well the only good DTV slasher films i've seen the past few years were

Jack Frost..a hilariously campy & fun film.

Kolobus..great underrated twisty film.

Otherwise i don't bother with all this crap...since 99.999$ of the time they will suck big time.

Will real horror ever return in the US or will we be plaqued to death with crappy such as Final Stab & all the other feces polluting the shelves and cinema's calling themselves horror??

My brother should take the hint & if he wants a real slasher film thats actually scary,some gruesome,some with T&A & plenty with all of the above...stick with the real slasher classic's

The Burning...simple yet oh so very creepy(t0 me)

Hell Night..alot of suspensful fun

My Bloody Valentine..great film,but to bad it's butchured by the dam MPAA

Black Christmas..very scary..though my brother may have a short attention span with this & the other films

Twitch of the Death Nerve...fun gruesome dark comedy

You can't go wrong with those films in my opinion..but your opinion may vary. Still they are better than the crap made today slasherwise or otherwise!

+ you always have the usual F13th & all that stuff as well.
Old 10-14-02, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

A true "classic"

Troll 2

Definitely in the "so bad it's good" category. You'll laugh, you'll cry, you'll be utterly confused. You certainly won't be scared, even though it claims to be a horror movie.
Old 10-14-02, 10:14 AM
Banned

Oh.....Phantom from 10,000 Leagues (1956), Monster from the Ocean Floor (1954) and Monster That Challenged the World, The (1957) are really bad horror movies. They don't make me laugh and certainly don't give anyone a scare. Maybe they can answer the question as is

Speak for yourself. I love THE MONSTER THAT CHALLENGED THE WORLD. It's a great 50's B monster movie.
Old 10-14-02, 01:00 PM

The Haunting - the one where they are in the house for a sleep disorder clinic or whatever. Not only is this the worst horror movie I have ever seen, I think it may be the least entertaining movie ever made. (Of course Wild Bill with Jeff Bridges was unwatchable).

The Haunting was just an excuse to use a lot of computer graphics.
Old 10-14-02, 01:31 PM

Re: horrible horror?

Originally posted by hgar78
the one film that immediately comes to mind is 'people under the stairs' but certain circumstances surrounding when i saw it could influence it too
That is most certainly just your opinion. I love The People Under the Stairs and think it's one of the most original, entertaining horror films out there.
Old 10-14-02, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Bad horror is subjective. I've seen a lot of horrible horror movies, most notably a lot of the Full Moon titles and a lot of Italian/French films that seem to have been written by the other 999,999 monkeys that didn't come up with Shakespeare. Lots of people like them, and think the horror titles I like suck. Horror films are like a fetish, what does it for me may not do it for you and vice versa. I would bet there aren't 3 horror films that everyone can agree on sucking the worst.
Old 10-14-02, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Julie Walker
Since my head felt like exploding & i was just in pure bordom hell with Pieces & the other film. I could not enjoy them for their badness since i was bored out of my mind.
How could you be bored with a flick where the killer is able to sneak a chainsaw behind his back into an elevator? And the random kung fu guy who jumps out for no good reason? Come on most bad flicks just use a cat!
Old 10-14-02, 06:12 PM

Originally posted by joltaddict
How could you be bored with a flick where the killer is able to sneak a chainsaw behind his back into an elevator? And the random kung fu guy who jumps out for no good reason? Come on most bad flicks just use a cat!

I did get huge laughs from that girl crashing through the glass,which has nothing to do with the film at all,just happens out of nowhere & is never referenced again as far as i know.

& when "Bluto" the groundskeeper is mistaken for the killer & the cops try to arrest him as he fends them off in slow motion growling it seems.

Now i would be willing to give the film one more chance if i could get my hands on that German Import dvd which is not only in 1:66 WS,but also remastered with actually good clear picture & sound!! Of course i don't have a PAL or R2 compatible palyer,so im out of luck for now.

Maybe then i could enjoy the film on the camp level...but the Vestron vhs had such horrendous quality with in-audible sound,that i was bored to death & severely disapointed.
Old 10-14-02, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Cutting Class is a slasher flick with Brad Pitt that has horrible written all over it.

976-Evil is pretty horrible as well.

The Dentist-this is a must see if you like seeing some of the worst film ever released,some good killings though.
Old 10-14-02, 07:54 PM

I thought The Dentist was pretty good for a DTV film. The sequel i never bothered seeing the whole thing of & felt it was boring & ughhh.
Old 10-14-02, 08:50 PM

Without Warning is the worse piece of sheeee-it I have ever seen. I bet Jack Palance and Martin Landau wish they could brandish the Men in Black pen and make everyone forget this turd. The alien was pathetic and appeared in about 30 seconds of the film from 50 feet away. What makes this movie worse than most low budget horror flicks is the filmakers(I use the term loosely) hired good actors not the usual cast of complete unknowns.
Old 10-14-02, 11:33 PM

Exorcist II: The Heretic, without question! This pile is just BORING beyond belief.
Old 10-14-02, 11:51 PM

"the ring" remake is pretty stupid terrible painful and utterly useless.
Old 10-15-02, 12:23 AM

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts
Pumpkinhead 2 Blood Wings.

Any Doris Wishman film or HG Lewis film. I'd sit through a 100 Ed Wood films before I'd sit through a film by those two.
Old 10-15-02, 05:58 AM
My Generosity Is Legendary

Nobody's mentioned Night of the Lepus? When I think bad, I think killer bunnies. It does have Janet Leigh and DeForest Kelley, both of whom I'm a fan of, so I actually own this.

Few others:
Evil Toons
Iced
Zipperface
and the already mentioned Troll 2.

I don't even bother ripping the older movies (50's-60's) that could be thought of as BAD, because all the ones I've seen have a certain camp appeal at least that I enjoy.
I even enjoy Santo's movies. Where else but a Santo movie could you see pro wrestlers fighting vampires-
can life get any better?

Last edited by Pac-Rat; 10-15-02 at 06:02 AM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.