Reload this Page >

help with ps2 w/ dolby pro logic 2

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 10-10-02, 08:26 PM
Suspended Pending Vaild Email

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

for some reason, i can't get my receiver to auto detect the pro logic 2 from the ps2. i can select it on my receiver, but it just converts stereo to surround. but its not the same as a pro logic 2 signal. any reason why? or any tips on how to fix it? i have a yamaha 5490 receiver, yamaha speakers, yamaha subs, everything. i also have my ps2 hooked up through optical and i went to the ps2 options and turned the optical on. i have no idea why it isnt working...
Old 10-10-02, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Erhm... From what I know, only the Gamecube really supports PL2. The PS2 games that are fully surround are DD5.1 for the cinematics and DTS in-game.
Old 10-10-02, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have my Onkyo reciever set to automactically go to a music DPLII mode when a Stereo signal inputed.

Make sure to select a DPLII mode on your reciever. Has nothing to do with the PS2.

FFX & Tekken Tag sound pretty sweet in DPLII mode on my onkyo.
Old 10-11-02, 04:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

From what I understand, there really isn't a Pro Logic 2 signal. It was created for mono and stereo material and it calculates and creates surround sound from it. You should be able to use Pro Logic II on anything from TV, CDs, Radio, old movies, etc. When a game says it supports Pro Logic II then it is basically a stereo signal created in a special way that makes the converted surround sound in Pro Logic II sound more precise and discrete.

As for the Gamecube, I'm not sure if it's the same thing on the software side, or the hardware has some special programming for that.

Correct me if I'm wrong on any of this.
Old 10-11-02, 09:20 AM
Suspended Pending Vaild Email

Ok, great, then everything is working. It just kind of bothered me with dvd's, it automatically switched to DD of DTS, and the PS2, I had to manually change it to DPL2. Just wasn't sure if I had everything right or not, thanks guys.
Old 10-11-02, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

DPL2 will work for all movies, games, cds, etc.

However, these can be programmed to utilize the DPL2 rather then not. The difference in quality is quite large from a game that is just being played with DPL2 on and one that has been optimized for it.

As far as I know, Gamecube is the only system currently with games being released that fully utilizes the DPL2 system. No worries though because the xbox and PS2 can handle DD5.1. They all sound great with the edge going to DD 5.1.

If you want the skinny on how DPL2 works check it out here:
http://www.dolby.com/ht/co.br.0107.P...nersGuide.html