Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Dr.Phil Word's of Wisdom of Letterman

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-02, 11:44 PM
Suspended

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Dr.Phil Word's of Wisdom of Letterman

You know how Letterman is showing this Dr.Phil Word's of Wisdom recently? Don't you all think this is just another ploy by the CBS to attract more audience for Dr.Phil's show? Honestly, I think Letterman is overdoing on this bit.
Old 10-09-02, 11:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Well, Dr. Phil plays on NBC here in CA. Dr. Phil was a part of the Oprah show. Letterman always made fun of her (remember the Oprah log), so its no surprise he makes fun of Dr. Phil.
Old 10-10-02, 02:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
His show is probably syndicated like Oprah's and most other talkshow. So, it could be on any network/station. Only clause I'm aware of prevents his show being up against Oprah's.
Old 10-10-02, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts
They're weird names. And they sound funny. ANd they sound really funny when said together.
Old 10-10-02, 06:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The TV station I work for runs Oprah and we can only run it at 4pm eastern. They feed it live. We cant run it against Dr. Phil (another station has Dr. Phil)
Old 10-11-02, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Anyone who knows Letterman knows he would never use his show as an infomercial for someone else. And if CBS asked him to do it, he would laugh in their face. I believe Letterman truly thinks this guy is a nitwit and can't believe anyone takes Dr. Phil's "mumbojumbo" seriously.
Old 10-11-02, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Re: Dr.Phil Word's of Wisdom of Letterman

Originally posted by SuperJim88
You know how Letterman is showing this Dr.Phil Word's of Wisdom recently? Don't you all think this is just another ploy by the CBS to attract more audience for Dr.Phil's show? Honestly, I think Letterman is overdoing on this bit.
Seeing as how Letterman is actively ridiculing the guy, I don’t see how mocking Dr Phil is trying to steal his audience. Mocking a public figure isn’t exactly a golden pathway to stealing that persons audience is it? He just thinks that Dr Phil is a big self help rube (I agree) and takes snippets of his dumb advice soundbites because they are funny, not because he/CBS wants any Dr Phil fans- its the opposite.

His Oprah bit was the same. Oprah would not have Dave on her show because he doesn’t revere her like her cult of fans does and the way other celebrities bow down to her. So, he made fun of her for fearing to have someone on who wasn’t in love with her and therefore easy for her to control. Not that if she would have had him on her show he would be mean to her- he would have probably respected her more to accept him as a guest after his mocking, but instead she refused, adding fuel to his fire
Old 10-11-02, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: Re: Dr.Phil Word's of Wisdom of Letterman

Originally posted by Slumbering Fist
Seeing as how Letterman is actively ridiculing the guy, I don’t see how mocking Dr Phil is trying to steal his audience. Mocking a public figure isn’t exactly a golden pathway to stealing that persons audience is it? He just thinks that Dr Phil is a big self help rube (I agree) and takes snippets of his dumb advice soundbites because they are funny, not because he/CBS wants any Dr Phil fans- its the opposite.

His Oprah bit was the same. Oprah would not have Dave on her show because he doesn’t revere her like her cult of fans does and the way other celebrities bow down to her. So, he made fun of her for fearing to have someone on who wasn’t in love with her and therefore easy for her to control. Not that if she would have had him on her show he would be mean to her- he would have probably respected her more to accept him as a guest after his mocking, but instead she refused, adding fuel to his fire
So True. Dr. Phil is a knob. I can't believe that Oprah divorced him because they seemed like a perfect couple.

"I want to be Miss America."
Old 10-11-02, 06:16 PM
Suspended

Re: Re: Dr.Phil Word's of Wisdom of Letterman

Originally posted by Slumbering Fist

You misunderstand the whole purpose of this thread. Read what I said again!!! I said, I think letterman is doing the Dr.Phil bit to help promote Dr.Phil's new show and get more people to notice his show. Since they both are on the same network, I believe it's a ploy by the CBS. GET it now??
Old 10-11-02, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Re: Re: Re: Dr.Phil Word's of Wisdom of Letterman

You misunderstand the whole purpose of this thread. Read what I said again!!! I said, I think letterman is doing the Dr.Phil bit to help promote Dr.Phil's new show and get more people to notice his show. Since they both are on the same network, I believe it's a ploy by the CBS. GET it now??
You are entitled to your opinion, but I believe Dave has proven time and time again he's not CBS' bitch.

If a network wanted some synergy they should try Leno. He's the one with the kneepads.
Old 10-12-02, 01:42 AM

I love these little clips. They're hilarious. Overall, I must say I Dave's show is coming back!
Old 10-13-02, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: Re: Re: Dr.Phil Word's of Wisdom of Letterman

Ok I'm only going to explain this once. Dr. Phil is a syndicated show. What this means is that any station be it ABC, CBS, NBC, or even UPN OR WB or EVEN an independent station can air this program. If a station decides to buy this program then they can air it. SOOOOOOOOOO your theory of Letterman whoring it up for CBS isnt true because any affiliated station can air this show. And i wont even get into the fact that letterman would NOT do that. But hey since you havent read the other 10 replies saying the same thing.
Old 10-14-02, 05:46 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Dr.Phil Word's of Wisdom of Letterman

Originally posted by rocketsauce
Ok I'm only going to explain this once. Dr. Phil is a syndicated show. What this means is that any station be it ABC, CBS, NBC, or even UPN OR WB or EVEN an independent station can air this program. If a station decides to buy this program then they can air it. SOOOOOOOOOO your theory of Letterman whoring it up for CBS isnt true because any affiliated station can air this show.
Actually, Dr. Phil is syndicated through King-World Productions, the syndication arm of Viacom, which also owns CBS so there is a material connection and cross-promotion between King-World programs and CBS programs is not uncommon.

[/b]And i wont even get into the fact that letterman would NOT do that. But hey since you havent read the other 10 replies saying the same thing. [/B]
You are dead-on here. Dave would laugh in Viacom's face. In fact, I can see Letterman's current fascination with Dr. Phil to possibly be a back-lash against a cross-promotional request on CBS's part.
Old 10-14-02, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Debra Messing (hot), Pink, and more Dr Phil's words of wisdom on tonight's late show!
Old 10-15-02, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

"I do yell at my children, and I don't know how to stop."

Letterman is using these clips b/c they're bloody hilarious. No other reason.
Old 10-15-02, 10:45 PM
Suspended

I guess it's kinda of funny, but I like the bit where dave wanta see how many people in costume can fit in a coffee shop.

I believe once he fitted like 26 people of bunny, cowboy, moses, the devil and other people in costume. That bit is much more fun.
Old 10-15-02, 10:55 PM

I also seem to recall Dave saying that Dr Phil's people had made an inquiry about him coming on Dave's show (maybe it was them requesting Dave come on their show, but I don't remember). That might have something to do with it.

Whatever the reason, it is damn funny
Old 10-16-02, 01:58 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

"I am not even remotely qualified."
Old 10-16-02, 02:30 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
tonights was damn funny.
Old 10-16-02, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Letterman is funny people.
Old 10-17-02, 01:55 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Tonight's (10/16) words of wisdom:

"From this point forward, I want you to start living as a gay woman."

"I had a vasectomy, and I had it reversed."
Old 10-17-02, 05:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Can anyone remember Letterman doing "Looking For Swedes" a few years back? It is one of my favorite bits. He would randomly pick people from the street and see if they were Swedish. There was one chick he picked who was blonde and had an accent, but it turned out she was from Norway or somewhere.
Old 10-17-02, 09:02 PM
Suspended

Originally posted by movieking
Can anyone remember Letterman doing "Looking For Swedes" a few years back? It is one of my favorite bits. He would randomly pick people from the street and see if they were Swedish. There was one chick he picked who was blonde and had an accent, but it turned out she was from Norway or somewhere.
I actually do remember that.....
Old 10-18-02, 11:44 PM
Suspended

"From this day forward, I want you to start living as gay woman." 10/18/02
Old 10-19-02, 12:01 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

This is definitely my favorite new Late Show bit in a very long time (probably since the Oprah-log).

Every bit they do has its moments (even the worst one, Psychic Sandwich), but WoW has me every damn night!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.