Reload this Page >

Gamecube Godzilla Melee out already!

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 10-09-02, 01:45 PM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I didnt think that it was suppose to show up in stores until next week, but a little bird told me that they were starting to surface. A couple of quick calls around the Seattle area bore fruit! The EB and Software ECT had them, and the TRU near my work will have it off the truck later today.

Of course there were a whole bunch of "Nope - not until next week" stores, but at least three places out of 6 or 7 had them. So if youre looking for some Kaiju action, start making some calls.
Old 10-09-02, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: Austin, Texas XboxLIVE Gamertag: Golucky Timezone: Central (CST)
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Godzilla Melee? What's that?
Old 10-09-02, 02:14 PM
Suspended

Think the old classic arcade game Rampage, but in a 3d setting with really good graphics . . . oh, and Godzilla.

Heres from the press release:

Based on the hit movies created by Toho Co., Ltd., Godzilla®: Destroy All Monsters Melee is a one-to-four-player fighting game of epic scope. Aliens have traveled to Earth and are using mind control to take power over the planet's giant monsters in an attempt to destroy our greatest cities. In the single player game, players must battle as their favorite giant monster against other escapees from Monster Island in titan-to-titan combat to protect the planet and its civilians.

In addition to the single-player story mode, the game includes four additional play styles: Versus mode, pitting between one and four players against each other in an epic battle royal; Destruction mode, a timed challenge to see which player can destroy more of a city in a given amount of time; and Survival mode, the ultimate test of a player's skill, pitting him against monster after monster with the score based on the number of enemies defeated before losing a match.

Game Features

* More than 10 officially licensed and faithfully recreated Toho monsters, including fan favorites like Godzilla® 2000, Mechagodzilla™, King Ghidorah™ and Mothra™

* Approximately 10 massive real-world and fantasy locations of city-wide scale, including San Francisco, Seattle, Tokyo and the notorious Monster Island

* Highly detailed arenas that include working traffic lights, blinking neon signs and moving cars, buses and tanker trucks

* Up to four-person multiplayer for grand scale, melee-style showdowns

* Basic fighting maneuvers like kicks, punches, jumps, and blocks are augmented with specialized projectile weapons

* Grabs and throws, including special throws and combos as well as the ability to pick up and throw items within the areas, such as small buildings, gas tanker trucks and cargo ships

*Fully destructible environments – buildings crumble under the power of the giant beasts – once destroyed, pieces of he ruined architecture can be picked up and thrown at opponents

* Easy-to-learn, hard-to-master hand-to-hand combat gameplay

* A robust combo system and special attacks that are unique to each creature's abilities from the original movies

* Power-ups dropped into the arena by alien ships and hidden within city buildings, providing health and other enhanced abilities

* Hidden unlockable characters, areas and art studio
Old 10-09-02, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Ooo, been looking forward to this one. This has been a pretty durn expensive month!

~Scheherazade
Old 10-09-02, 02:25 PM
Suspended

Originally posted by Scheherazade
Ooo, been looking forward to this one. This has been a pretty durn expensive month!
Tell me about it - between Animal Crossing, my Doctor Who boxed set and this thing (and pesky things like rent, food andcar payments), I'm dead broke. Thank god for these brutal overtime weeks, or I'd be sunk!
Old 10-09-02, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by goLUCKY
Godzilla Melee? What's that?
Here is a link to the official website:

www.GodzillaOnCube.com

And here are a couple of trailers:

Godzilla: DAMM video 1
Godzilla: DAMM video 2

Old 10-09-02, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Any reviews out yet?
Old 10-09-02, 04:30 PM

Hey Kabong, what EB locations had it in stock? I'm in the Seattle area as well, and I'd love to pick this one up a little early.
Old 10-09-02, 05:17 PM
Suspended

Originally posted by Gamewizard
Hey Kabong, what EB locations had it in stock? I'm in the Seattle area as well, and I'd love to pick this one up a little early.
The EB and the Software ECT over in Belevue Square had them, at least as of about 11 this morning when I called. The Bellevue Toys R us also has a bunch - I just called and confirmed on that one.
Old 10-09-02, 05:29 PM

Thx man, I'll be picking it up tonight now!
Old 10-09-02, 07:35 PM
Suspended

Well, I got home about an hour ago. The short review? This game rocks!

Long review pending further investigation. . . .
Old 10-09-02, 11:02 PM

Ever play King Of The Monsters or its sequel for the NeoGeo (or the crappy SNES Genesis ports)? That's G: DAMM, only in 3D and with "real" monsters. In other words, pretty darn cool if your a fan of Japanese guys in rubber suits (a fetish of mine). It's even better considering that it was made in the U.S. and not Japan. Yes, there are flaws, most notably, that almost nothing is selectable from the start. Gosh darnit, I paid my $50, now let me play!! I've never played any of the Smash Brothers games yet, but I have played the Power Stone series, and that what this game reminds me of. If your a Godzilla fan, at least give it a rental.

Last edited by Pasco; 10-10-02 at 08:30 PM.
Old 10-10-02, 10:21 AM
Suspended

Originally posted by Pasco
Yes, there are flaws, most notably, that almost nothing is selectable from the start. Gosh darnit, I paid my $50, now lest me play!!
Yeah, but nearly every fighting game is like that. That's just how the industry works.

Well, it managed to keep my attention for most of last evening - a good sign, considering I had Animal Crossing fever just yesterday.

To my shock, the areas are really well done. Using Seattle as a benchmark - well no, it's not a PERFECT replica of downtown, but there are all kinds of recognizable buildings and the general layout is the same as real life. They screwed up a bit on the Seattle Center, but it's more or less accurate.

Now I cant speak for other cities (I've not been to Tokyo ect)

The graphics look pretty sweet and the animation is pretty damn fluid. G's flame breath really rocks, BTW.

It doesn't seem that difficult to learn - mastering the controls however is going to be a while. But just button mashing my way along in Easy mode, I managed to unlock a couple of things.

I was almost disappointed that Akira Ifukube's G theme wasn't used - but it did turn up in the credits. This then is the only down side to the game: I would have like to have seen the Godzilla theme used more.

Still, it was easily worth the 50 bucks - especially if you have 3 friends for a big Monster Mash!
Old 10-10-02, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
This was one of the few GCN titles I was interested in... I'm a little bummed that it's just a fighter, but it still looks cool enough for a rental.
Old 10-10-02, 11:48 AM
Mod Emeritus

This is the type of game I'd love to see them utilize their modem with. Hopefully in the future.
Old 10-11-02, 03:47 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,121 Posts
I might buy Gamecube now.
Old 10-11-02, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

oh shoot. i've been looking forward to this game for a while. my wallet is definitely taking a hit this month.
Old 10-11-02, 11:30 AM

If your wallet is hurting this month what are you going to do in November!?!?!?! So many awesome video games, DVD's, and movies
Old 10-12-02, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

In the last 2 weeks ive bought 3 games. Nascar Thunder 2003 last week and it is awesome. Today i picked up Godzilla which is another excellent game and i also picked up NHL 2003 just because i want some sort of hockey to play NOW. :-)

capt
Old 10-13-02, 01:31 AM

In case $50 + tax is too much...

Check my thread in the vg exchange forum if you'd like to save ten bucks Godzilla.
Old 10-13-02, 05:48 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

This seems like a very low priority for me. From everything I've heard, this game tries to fill the same niche as Super Smash Bros, and isn't as good a game.

This seems like a B game in a year when there are too many A titles to buy.

What's the selling point for you guys? Are you huge Godzilla fans?
Old 10-13-02, 07:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I like GodzillaAM but I hate Super Smash brother . I have always been a fan of godzilla but this game is just a nice change of pace from the same old 3D fighting games

capt
Old 10-13-02, 10:23 AM

Well I went to the mall yesterday; It was a crappy raining day. The mall was jammed pack....reminded me of the Holiday shopping crowd- that busy. So I'm in EB, the funniest thing is They have a GC, XBOX and a PS2. The store is pack, and lots of people were lining up to play games on the PS2 and XBOX. Then I look to the front of the store and NOBODY was playing the GC. I walked over and It had Godzilla Melee. Nobody wanted to play it. I saw little kids walk over to it and then walk way. WHY!?!?!? I wonder if this game is going to tank off?!?!?! It looks cool! I guess it could be that the people in the store aren't Godzilla fans. But is this game only for Godzilla fans? That must be a small target group.
Old 11-02-02, 10:28 AM

I'll be picking this one when it's around $20 on Half.com