Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Alias 10.06.2002

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-02, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alias 10.06.2002

It's a small thing, I know -- but the CIA dossier & "Previous On Alias" prologues are getting annoying. [longer too]

I realize that they're trying to pander to those who have decided to jump the bandwagon, but ya know...
Old 10-06-02, 09:58 PM

yea true heh, but neways this was an awesome episode, very entertaining, cant wait until next week
Old 10-06-02, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Does anyone have a copy of last weeks episode that would be willing to help help a brother out? I accidentally taped over it (stupid VCRs I can't get it to stop flashing 12:00 ) any help would be grateful!!
Old 10-06-02, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
My only annoyance is that I wonder why Sid never uses gloves. You'd think these places would fingerprint her when she cracks the safes, etc.

That said, great episode tonight and next week's looks even better!
Old 10-06-02, 11:00 PM

ARGH!!!
Missed this week's show
Worked late, called home to get show taped for me, but the wrong channel was taped - unfortunately my fault

Please, please if someone feels up to giving a recap, that would be very helpful. I won't have a chance to check elsewhere for a recap until late tomorrow and will probably check back here before hand anyways, this is one of my favorite sites

Thanks!!
Old 10-06-02, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
The development of Sydney's relationship with her mom will be a tricky one.

I think Syd's mom is totally setting Sydney up with a larger plan in mind, such as using Syd and company to take down the Alliance for her.

The mom did a wonderful job of planting so many seeds of doubt in Syd, and has pulled the eyes over the FBI dude, Kendal.

Jack is right in telling Vaughn not to trust the mom. That wry smile at the end of the episode was spooky as hell. She's definitely up to no good. She's even using Syd's streak of independence as leverage to position Syd in the right place later on. The mom is a total playa.

Oh, Weiss survived!

Last edited by Patman; 10-07-02 at 07:43 AM.
Old 10-06-02, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
So...think we'll get a cliffhanger anytime this season?

While it was a good ep, I kinda miss the weekly cliff. They say that something seen too often gets tired. I say nay!. And last season was a good example.

BTW...

Spoiler:
Any thoughts as to what the Alliance injected into Sloane? Or did they show it and I just had my eyes closed? [I HATE needles] Also, speaking of recaps, my g/f and I were racking our brains trying to remember which show last week gave a recap after a HALF HOUR. Was it Alias? We think it was.
Old 10-06-02, 11:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Rogue588
Spoiler:
Any thoughts as to what the Alliance injected into Sloane? Or did they show it and I just had my eyes closed? [I HATE needles]
Spoiler:
I hate needles too. The finger thing with Sloane last season was much more unbearable, though. I think it looked similar to Will's truth serum shot in Paris, also from last season. That's my guess.

Spoiler:
Anybody else think the bald guy (forgot his name) is this season's curly-haired guy (also forgot his name)? He's very similar, always "in the way". Will Jack "off" the guy like he did last season?

Anyhow, great episode. I liked the "no cliffhangers" thing. I just like instant gratification. The preview for next week was very good. I can't wait.

Also, does is anybody keeping track of the highlighted letters this season? I remember last season some people tried to do that, but I don't recall anybody figuring anything out. I don't think I could write down all of them, but I wonder if they give a clue to the season finale or something?
Old 10-06-02, 11:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by JuryDuty
My only annoyance is that I wonder why Sid never uses gloves. You'd think these places would fingerprint her when she cracks the safes, etc.

That said, great episode tonight and next week's looks even better!
Told my wife the same thing.

But, it was a great show tonight. I loved her speech at the end and her mom's smile.
Old 10-07-02, 01:32 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Great episode. I think her mom is up to no good too. But what she's up to is anyone's guess.
Old 10-07-02, 06:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Rogue588

Spoiler:
Any thoughts as to what the Alliance injected into Sloane? Or did they show it and I just had my eyes closed? [I HATE needles]
Spoiler:
It could be some sort of tracking device. Or possibly
a means for the alliance to remotely kill him if he is ever captured.
Old 10-07-02, 06:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Syd probably has a thin layer of latex applied to cover her fingertips (from Marshall's bag of spy tricks) if she's worried about leaving fingerprints behind.

Last edited by Patman; 10-07-02 at 07:44 AM.
Old 10-07-02, 07:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 143 Likes on 98 Posts
Great episode. I thought the mom's conversation with Vaughn was just mean on her part. One question that has nothing to do with the plot but what was the big deal with camera? I stepped away for a second and missed why it was important.
Old 10-07-02, 07:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by freedexter
Also, does is anybody keeping track of the highlighted letters this season? I remember last season some people tried to do that, but I don't recall anybody figuring anything out. I don't think I could write down all of them, but I wonder if they give a clue to the season finale or something?
i was trying to keep track of them last night, and i was wondering if you had to put them all together at season's end to make something or does each episode make a word that forms a sentence or something like that.

as for the camera, it was something that had the capability to see into norad undetected so it was pretty powerful.
Old 10-07-02, 07:31 AM
JLB
DVD Talk Special Edition

Anyone else think the scenes of Syd walking up to Mom's cell looked a little bit like Silence of the Lambs with Clarice slowly walking up to Lechter's cell......

It was a dead ringer to me.... (no pun intended)
Old 10-07-02, 07:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

On what episode did Sloane drop something into his wife's drink? It seemed to be in the review of previous weeks, but I can't remember seeing it.
Old 10-07-02, 07:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, that was the price of membership into the Alliance for Sloane because Emily knew of their existence and had to be put down.
Old 10-07-02, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by movieking
On what episode did Sloane drop something into his wife's drink? It seemed to be in the review of previous weeks, but I can't remember seeing it.
That happened on the final episode of last season.

[Of course, we've seen him "kill" her and we've seen the funeral. But we've never seen the body. I'm certain she will turn up again soon enough.]
Old 10-07-02, 09:07 AM

That beginning voiceover and recap are awful. I much preferred the original with Syd talking.

I also thought that the whole Dungeon celll thing was very much like Hannibal Lechter's cell in the movies. One thing I noticed was the orientation of the hand scanner to the cell. It faces away from the cell so that the guard has to bend his wrist back to scan it, wouldn't it be easier for it to be pointing towards the cell so it would be easier to scan as you walk? This would also make it harder for someone, Syd's Mom, to use a severed limb to scan, as she would have to hold the fingers as opposed to an arm....

The injection they gave to Sloane looked like it was ging to be a truth syrum or something, but right before they gave him the shot it looked like they were injecting a small piece of hardware in there, maybe a tracking device, or "kill switch?"

I think a cliffhanger is in the near future, I saw an interview with someone on the show that said they would be cutting down on the number, but not cutting them out entirely.
Old 10-07-02, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

It probably was a GPS kill serum (nanotech-biological agents). The Alliance sends the signal, and Sloane is toast.
Old 10-07-02, 09:21 AM

OK, here's my question:

In the opening voiceover, they say something about her current mission (assignment, whatever) being the SD6 thing.

Is this setting it up so that the SD6 storyline has a finite life & she'll move on to other missions after that?
Old 10-07-02, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think it was a tracking device. I like the idea of a kill switch, too--very possible. We'll find out soon, I'm sure.

And I agree--I don't think we've seen the last of Sloan's wife. I think he's faked her death.
Old 10-07-02, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think it's funny to compare and contrast the "maximum security cell" on Alias vs. 24 last season. On Alias, it's all high-tech and has multiple steps to go through to get to it. On 24, it was just hard to locate, but otherwise, just an underground bunker.
Old 10-07-02, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 203 Likes on 157 Posts
Originally posted by JLB
Anyone else think the scenes of Syd walking up to Mom's cell looked a little bit like Silence of the Lambs with Clarice slowly walking up to Lechter's cell......

It was a dead ringer to me.... (no pun intended)
I thought the exact same thing! I only caught the last half of the show as I am not a real Alias fan but got interested from what I saw last week.
Question: Am I correct in assuming that Lena Olin's character is Syd's biological mother while the one that got killed in the auto accident was the one that raised her? I only ask because Syd pretty adamantly denied that Olin was her "mother" in any sort of way at the end.

My reasons for not watching the show is that overall I find it unoriginal and cheesy for the most part. I watched the season premiere last year and had it not been for the commercial free aspect, I would have changed channels at the first break.
While both Olin and Garner are good actresses to an extent, they can only play this female SOTL deal for so long before people catch on. How much you want to bet that at either the end of this season or during a sweeps period we have Syd's Mom staging some elaborate yet clever escape with an ending consisting of Syd getting a phone call or message from her in some way or another? In other words, a total knock-off of SOTL.

P.S. For those who would like to see Lena Olin as a truly vicious woman without restraint, I recommend you rent Romeo Is Bleeding. She really plays the role well and is a good predecessor to her current one on Alias.

Last edited by Dr. DVD; 10-07-02 at 09:40 AM.
Old 10-07-02, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by Dr. DVD

Question: Am I correct in assuming that Lena Olin's character is Syd's biological mother while the one that got killed in the auto accident was the one that raised her? I only ask because Syd pretty adamantly denied that Olin was her "mother" in any sort of way at the end.
Nope. They're one and the same. She only found out about her mother being a spy herself last season. She had been led to believe all these years that her mom did die in a car accident. Even her dad thought so, but he knew that she was a double agent for the KGB.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.