TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

TiVo Viewers Like 'CSI: Miami,' 'Firefly'

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-02, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TiVo Viewers Like 'CSI: Miami,' 'Firefly'

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...dia_tivo_tv_dc
LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Television networks take heed: people like this season's crop of edgy dramas -- even those who prefer to watch them on their own time.

On Friday, TiVo ( news - web sites) Inc., which makes a device that allows people to record television programs to a hard drive for later viewing, released statistics on which shows are most popular among its subscribers in the new fall TV season. The device also allows viewers to pause and fast-forward both live and recorded programming.

According to TiVo, the five most popular new shows, based on the number of users who have configured their recorder to automatically record every episode, are CBS's "CSI: Miami," Fox's "Firefly" and "John Doe," ABC's "Push, Nevada" and CBS's "Without A Trace."

All five are dramas, with action/adventure and mystery themes. "CSI: Miami" airs Monday at 10 p.m., "Firefly" and John Doe" are back-to-back at 8 p.m. and 9 p.m. Friday, "Push, Nevada" airs Thursday at 9 p.m. and "Without A Trace" is on Thursdays at 10 p.m.

In the regular television ratings, as measured by Nielsen Media Research, all those shows have performed well, with the exception of "Push, Nevada," which has been soundly beaten in most airings to date and is in danger of being canceled.

TiVo has about 500,000 subscribers to its service, who pay either a monthly fee or a flat lifetime subscription, which gives them comprehensive program guide for a period of up to two weeks.

According to research by industry tracker Screen Digest, there are just over 2.3 million digital video recorders on the market, from TiVo and competitors.

In addition to ranking the top new shows of the season, TiVo also released statistics on how often prime-time programs are recorded by its users and watched at times other than their original window.

Overall, the company said 80 percent of prime-time programming is recorded and watched later.

Among popular shows, TiVo said 86.1 percent of people who record NBC's "Friends" watch it later, followed by 85.3 percent who do the same with Fox's "24." Of the 14 shows measured by TiVo, Fox's "Boston Public ( news - Y! TV)" was the one least-often watched at a different time, at 79 percent.

NBC is a unit of General Electric Co. CBS is a unit of Viacom Inc. ABC is a unit of Walt Disney Co. Fox is a unit of News Corp Ltd.
das
Old 10-05-02, 01:36 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 109 Likes on 98 Posts
I like how Tivo can release this data, I think it is a little bit more informative than the nielsen's.

I realised during the week that I almost never watch live television any more. the in-laws are staying, and it just proved the point that live tv does not exist in my house...
Old 10-05-02, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't own a TiVo, but a Dish 501 PVR receiver, so usage data isn't collected. Still, I love the advantages of PVRs over VCRs.
Old 10-05-02, 08:38 PM
MrN
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I've got 4 of the top 5 shows on my season pass list. Only one missing is 'Without a Trace.' I think I will be dropping 'Push, NV' soon though.
Old 10-06-02, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

What a minute. I thought the programs we record on TIVO aren't collected as data for TIVO to use.
Old 10-06-02, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts
big whoppa,
Heh they do indeed collect data. I've seen the files on my tivo's hard drive. Sneaky little buggers aren't they

Michael
Old 10-06-02, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,403 Likes on 1,028 Posts
I'm sure there's some kind of privacy issue here, but personally I would love for my data to be seen if I had a PVR. If shows like Buffy, Firefly, Farscape and the like were proven to have bigger audiences than the Nielsons's show, they just might last a little longer.
Old 10-06-02, 10:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What a minute. I thought the programs we record on TIVO aren't collected as data for TIVO to use.
Well, they CLAIM they don't, but in reality you're seeing that Tivo does indeed monitor what you're watching. I hope they sell the information to insurance companies who can raise your life insurance rates because your lifestyle is too sedentary. Along with the reward card from your local grocer that shows how much fat you're consuming.

(the above was humor, but you get the general idea)
Old 10-06-02, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts
As far as I know, I don't remember them ever claiming that htey don't collect data. I remember hearing a long time ago that they collect what is recorded. I don't mind. I want the shows I watch to stay on the air.

I recorded the first episode of three of those shows (CSI Miami, Push Nevada, and John Doe), but John Doe is the only one that I'm still recording. It could go away if they don't vary things up a bit, and the know-it-all aspect will get old quick. I haven't watched this weeks episode yet though.
Old 10-06-02, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Tivo? What's Tivo?
Old 10-06-02, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have all those on my Tivo list except CSi Miami
Old 10-06-02, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If I remember correctly, they don't collect individual data, just aggregate data (ie. they couldn't tell anybody what particular show YOU were watching, but they could tell that X% of their subscribers recorded a particular show).
Old 10-07-02, 02:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by CaptainMarvel
If I remember correctly, they don't collect individual data, just aggregate data (ie. they couldn't tell anybody what particular show YOU were watching, but they could tell that X% of their subscribers recorded a particular show).
Yes, I believe that's accurate. And don't you think we should get paid for this valuable information? I do!
Old 10-07-02, 06:26 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 449 Likes on 307 Posts
Originally posted by big whoppa
CaptainMarvel is correct that aggregate data is collected. This is completely disclosed in their privacy policy in both your printed TiVo manual and on their website.

If you don't even want that anonymous viewing data sent to TiVo, there is a number you can call to opt out of that. I believe it's in the Privacy Policy also.
Old 10-07-02, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 614 Likes on 493 Posts
CSI Miami is not a surprise. I would assume that there are a lot like me who prefer to watch MNF live so that relegates CSI Miami to the record list.
Old 10-07-02, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I honestly could care less if they know what kind of TV I tape. Hell, maybe I'll throw a little LifetimeTV in, just to throw them off the scent!

I can see how this might get bad down the line, but as long as it's aggregate data, I dont' see how it's bad (hell, it beats those Neilsen people calling me up to ask what I watch).