Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Firefly 10-04-02

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-02, 08:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Firefly 10-04-02

I may be in the minority here but I really like this show. Tonite's episode greatly reinforced that. There was more fleshing out of the characters and the story was great. I'm anxious to see the pilot episode to have some questions answered but overall I think Firefly is on it's way to becoming one of my faves. BTW, I don't even care for Buffy and am certainly not a Jossphile.

The subtle things are what makes it good. The not being able to fire the gun without oxygen was a nice touch, as was the hodgepodge language that the characters sometimes use. I hope we see some further explanation of the "companions" and get some more background on them.

Best line from tonite's episode:
"If somebody trys to kill you, well, you kill em back"
Old 10-04-02, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,405 Likes on 1,030 Posts
Re: Firefly 10-04-02

Originally posted by Neush

Best line from tonite's episode:
"If somebody trys to kill you, well, you kill em back"
I almost choked on chili on that one. And just a few seconds earlier I was thinking this didn't have that Whedon sparkle, then they hit me with that.

The first episode didn't really grab me, but I watched the second one. It didn't really grab me, but I watched tonite. When they said the next new episode was in two weeks I was upset! I think I'm liking this show!

It seems they've got a handful of episodes in the can, so if it gets cancelled soon maybe we'll at least get a quick DVD release.

And where the hell is the widescreen? I thought the first ep was LBX, but the last two have been 4x3.
Old 10-04-02, 09:29 PM

Great episode tonight and the dialogue was much better. I think they have continually improved which is a good sign. *shhhhh*, musn't talk about about cancelling
Old 10-04-02, 09:45 PM

I am practically giddy, I liked this episode so much. Okay, I am giddy. This episode was so very "Jossiferous" which makes sense since he did write this one . I'm experimenting w/ words here. Do you like it? Lie to me if you don't .

I can see why Fox decided to rearrange the airings a bit. If this episode didn't pull in the viewers, I don't know what will. There was so much comedy to go along w/ the action in this. There were actual quotable lines here. Some faves:

* "If someone tries to kill you, you just kill 'em back."

* Mal: "Can I come in?"
Inara: "No."
Mal: "That's why I usually don't ask."

* "My days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle."

* "Is there blubber?"

* "Some people juggle geese!"

If you didn't see this, some of those lines will not make any sense, but I was loving every second of this episode. I could literally transcribe the whole thing under "favorite things". It was that good.

Loved the fact that Inara knew something was up w/ Saffron when she tried her coy little game on her. For that matter, I loved that Zoe knew something was wrong w/ her when she grabbed the glass out of Wash's hand. I want more Zoe story. I'm getting greedy. See? Unlike BHSBaby, I'm not that into a Jayne story right now. Maybe later. Looks like Fox and ME forgot to call me and ask what I wanted to see next anyway .

I am so hoping that the ratings come up and we get to see more of this show that has completely grown on me.

Oh. And go UST! That's always a lot of fun .

~wis
Old 10-04-02, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts
I finally got around to watching this show on my tivo and I really enjoyed all three episodes. It has that same kind of humor seen in Buffy and Angel. Also, I'm a big fan of the whole Cowboy Bebop. Outlaw Star, Trigun genre of Anime so all the characters are VERY familiar. For those who do follow Anime, when the preacher was asked tonight how he knows so much about crime, I though immediately that they're probably trying to make him somewhat of a Wolfwood kind of character from Trigun.

I really hope this show takes off and gets some good ratings (although I doubt it'll be as popular as Buffy).

Michael

P.s. when Mal said the line about "When someone tries to kill you, well, kill 'em back", for some odd reason I thought of the one episode of Excel Saga where ilipalazzo is playing a video game which gives him an option of giving the heroine a good "killing"...those of you who've seen excel wackiness know what I mean.
Old 10-04-02, 10:38 PM

fiver - The show seems to be heavily influenced by recent anime. I don't really watch much of the episodes but I listen to them and glare at the tv every now and then (on the pc playin game, doing work, etc.) to keep up. This scene may have already happened, but there is a naked girl inside a suitcase sized box - that is flat out a copy of Outlaw Star...and as you mentioned there are some plausible Trigun character influences as well.

I still have mixed feelings towards the show, but it seems to be getting better each week. I still am not sure it will last more than a season or two unless they can create more interest by making each individual episode more entertaining.

As for tonight's show:

They had some surprising sexual overtones - and got away with alot of questionable material for television. I hope they can continue to push the barriers of what tv can show, it will help them gain/keep an audience. For example, where the stowaway girl is reciting her Bible she makes some blatant references to sexual activity (puffed out her cheeks and blew, I want you inside me, etc.).

I don't really like Adam Baldwin, but he has some cool 1-liners scattered throughout. I liked the 'Just how drunk was I last night?' and his reply: 'I don't know, I was passed out.' Or the part where he is caressing his bigass gun (forgot the name - lol who names their gun) while reminiscing of its history...good stuff.
Old 10-04-02, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 461 Likes on 275 Posts
Some of my favorite lines:

"If you take sexual advantage of her, you're going to burn in a very special level of hell. A level they reserve for child molesters... and people who talk at the theater."

"She has a name."
"So has this. I call it Vera."
"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle."

"Go play with your rainstick."

"Oh, I'm gonna go to the special hell."
Old 10-05-02, 12:18 AM
Banned

Re: Re: Firefly 10-04-02

Originally posted by milo bloom
And where the hell is the widescreen? I thought the first ep was LBX, but the last two have been 4x3.
Good point about the widescreen.Even "Enterprise" is in widescreen every week! I think another show "Everwood" is also been shown in 4x3 too.
Old 10-05-02, 12:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Does anybody have the lyrics to the theme? A web search results in a bazillion hits, none the right one.

Also, I'll just ask to get it out of the way. Has Joss said if this is in the same universe as Buffy and Angel? Just really far in the future? I know there was some Slayer comic set in the future, but I haven't read it. Is it in trade paperback yet?
Old 10-05-02, 02:53 AM

..people who actually enjoy/like Firefly

...they do exist...they do..they do

Last edited by ici-la-ko; 10-05-02 at 03:09 AM.
Old 10-05-02, 04:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I loved this episode, and I love the show. It's very witty and I found myself laughing out loud on more than a few occasions....some great one-liners (most of which have already been mentioned).

I could tell from the season premiere that there was going to be some sexual tension between Inara and Mal...glad to see it in this episode. It was funny that she kept saying how she fell down and how Mal thought that she had kissed Saffron at the end of the episode.

I'm sure all the people who couldn't stand River were happy that she was unheard of in this episode.

Was it just me or was some of the editing a little weird? I didn't record the show, but I recall at the very beginning of the episode when they were in that prairie schooner type thing on the river that after Zoe shot some dude in the back they cut away awkwardly to the next scene. I was thrown a little by that...and then it happened once or twice again later on in the episode, but I don't remember where.

Anyway, I don't worship Joss Whedon like the cult following that he has garnered (I try to watch Buffy as regularly as possible, but I am nowhere near the Buffy-file that some people are), but I must say that he comes up with some good stuff.

Old 10-05-02, 07:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 143 Likes on 98 Posts
Originally posted by Dimension X
Some of my favorite lines:

"If you take sexual advantage of her, you're going to burn in a very special level of hell. A level they reserve for child molesters... and people who talk at the theater."
That line was just classic! I was actually surprised at how much sexual innuendo they got away with in this episode. Guess the network sensors were sleeping during the seduction scene. I've got to say after this episode I am hooked and now I'm pissed I have to wait two weeks for a new episode.
Old 10-05-02, 08:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I gotta tell ya, I am really beginning to like this show. The problem is I am sure its not going to last. i don't think most people will "get it". Fox just doesn't have the sack anymore to let a show last an entire season, despite poor ratings, just because it is a good show that they believe in (Brisco County and Bakersfield PD come to mind).

Too bad.

Great theme song, I'm going to have to try and find it online.
Old 10-05-02, 09:20 AM

Sonny Rhodes sings the song written by Joss

LYRICS:
Take my love.
Take my land.
Take me where I cannot stand.
I don't care,
I'm still free.
You can't take the sky from me.
Take me out to the black.
Tell 'em I ain't comin' back.
Burn the land
And boil the sea.
You can't take the sky from me
(Music Interlude)
Have no place I can be
Since I found Serenity
But you can't take the sky from me.
Old 10-05-02, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: ..people who actually enjoy/like Firefly

Originally posted by ici-la-ko
...they do exist...they do..they do
I would have loved to enjoy this ep, but in LA they just had to show a gorram baseball game (that was also being shown on ESPN and FAM).

BTW, welcome to the maddness.
Old 10-05-02, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Re: Re: ..people who actually enjoy/like Firefly

Originally posted by Wizdar
I would have loved to enjoy this ep, but in LA they just had to show a gorram baseball game (that was also being shown on ESPN and FAM).

BTW, welcome to the maddness.
Anyone know if Fox plans to air episode 3 sometime this week? I know in NY it's scheduled for Sunday at 4 or 5 p.m., but in L.A. it looks like NFL and MLB will take up a chunk of Fox programming on Sunday.
Old 10-05-02, 11:37 AM

Originally posted by dgeralsh
I gotta tell ya, I am really beginning to like this show. The problem is I am sure its not going to last. i don't think most people will "get it". Fox just doesn't have the sack anymore to let a show last an entire season, despite poor ratings, just because it is a good show that they believe in (Brisco County and Bakersfield PD come to mind).

Too bad.

Great theme song, I'm going to have to try and find it online.
It's still too early to tell how popular the show is or how much Fox has invested in it. But I read an article yesterday (on ABCNews I believe) that said that Tivo has released the first of it's viewer statistics for the new season and Firefly and Robbery Homicide Division were the most Tivo'ed shows the first two weeks (followed by John Doe and Push, Nevada) so that may be a good sign. I think if people are willing to stick with it at least until the pilot is shown they could hook a decent sized audience. Personally, I don't think it's fair to expect too much from a Friday night show when that's usually the night most people are away from home. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.
Old 10-05-02, 11:59 AM

This episode was shown in Los Angeles. It was on
after their local news. From 11-12 last nite.

Ron Glass (ex barney miller) had some of the better lines.
Chick who played Saffron was very convincing. I hope
to see her in other series. Going to keep
giving the series a chance. Am getting to like a few
of the characters now. Just hope the writing gets a
little better. And if not, this series will find it
own special place in cancelled series hell.
Old 10-05-02, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Probably the best episode yet. I love that they are able to work some much humor into the show, as Whedon does with many Buffy episodes. There were some classic lines indeed, with my favorite being the special type of hell line...

I really hope this gets to last the full season, and, dare I dream, get renewed for more seasons, as long as the episodes can be as entertaining as this one was.
Old 10-05-02, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Is this the show that is loosely based on the anime Outlaw Star that i've been hearing about?
Old 10-05-02, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by jw2299
Is this the show that is loosely based on the anime Outlaw Star that i've been hearing about?
I've read a lot of people comparing the two, though I don't think Whedon to be the type to crib from other sources. Not positive though.
Old 10-05-02, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Oh my goodness, the dialog in the first half was really funny stuff, plenty of LOL moments and lines.

"Good bible."

Love the lines about the swelling.

Now the rest of the season, I do wonder how they'll be able to just wander around the galaxy and still make the show compelling.

BTW, if IIRC, the actress playing Saffron was the battered wife neighbor of Abby's on ER.
Old 10-05-02, 10:39 PM
Needs to provide a working email

Firefly has for me the same problem that ST Voyager had: I don't care about any of the characters.
Old 10-05-02, 10:44 PM

Originally posted by Patman
Now the rest of the season, I do wonder how they'll be able to just wander around the galaxy and still make the show compelling.
Can we say "Star Trek" boys and girls?. Admittedly if they keep up the defenders-of-the-downtrodden storylines it will get old fast. But there's a lot of potential in the characters (at least if I understand them correctly so far). You've got the relationship between Mal and Inara despite the fact that's she's a highpriced hooker (that'll make for some awkward moments), you've got a marriage between two crew members that are polar opposites, a brash, macho jackassy type who's bound to get them in trouble (as next week's preview alluded to), a worldly preacher who's trying to put the crew on the straight and narrow path and a catatonic girl and her runaway brother. There's a lot more to work with there then just an oversexed captain and a science officer with pointy ears. Having said that though, they need to capitilize (IMO anyway) on the universe they've set the story in. There needs to be more moral dillemmas between crime and doing the right thing (with crime winning out sometimes too). They also need to give the characters equal story time so that every episode doesn't just revolve around Mal or the brother/sister duo.

I think if the show can last long enough and we can see the damn pilot episode this is certainly a show that could become that rarified popular crossover sci-fi series that every network is always trying to nail down. I mean if you like sci-fi what else are you gonna watch now that Farscape is cancelled? Stargate SG-1? I'll take crab juice!
Old 10-06-02, 12:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I think the guy who Mal broke off the deal with in the first or second episode (the one who wanted the stolen Alliance medicine) could potentially be a thorn in Mal's side...or whatever the hell that saying is.

He could be the Jabba the Hutt to Mal's Han Solo and provide a recurring bad guy for the show.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.