Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

R2 French DVDs, R1 Canadian French DVDs questions

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-02, 11:54 AM
Suspended

Location: Sonoran Desert; a place where it doesn't matter whether or not one can pronounce Donnacha.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was hoping someone can help me. I recently saw that Tatie Danielle was being released in France (amazon.fr), however, Amazon seems to never give detailed specs concerning subtitles.

I know in other Region 2 countries like Germany most all original-English languages released have subtitles of about 10 or so languages. Is the same true of original-French languages in France since it is also Region 2? The reason why I ask is that I was wondering if Tatie Danielle will have English subtitles.

Also, on amazon.ca there are many French movies but it does not list that if there are English subtitles, should I assume they do since they are being released in Region 1?

Hope someone can help!

jarsim
Old 10-04-02, 12:01 PM

According to this site, there are no subtitles and it's already OOP:
http://www.dvdzone2.com/cgi-bin/en/O...ch&search=6606

And this site says no subs and yet forced subs at the same time - hardly helpul info:
http://www.dvdfr.com/dvd/fiche.php3?id=6020

Last edited by codefree; 10-04-02 at 12:04 PM.
Old 10-04-02, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

"...I know in other Region 2 countries like Germany most all original-English languages released have subtitles of about 10 or so languages..."

...in that case, you know more than I do... actually, afaik only so-called "Pan European" DVDs[°] of English-language movies offer that many (or more) subtitles - and there are not all that many of those... and even those are 'split' into those intended for 'Northern' Europe (which may feature optional subs in, say, Danish, Swedish, Norwegian, Finnish and Icelandic, as well as Russian and, perhaps, Czech and Polish) and those intended for 'Southern' Europe (which may feature optional subs in, say, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Serb, Croat, Turkish, Romanian, Hebrew)...
( [°]...and those exist only where one Distributing/releasing company - say COLUMBIA-TRISTAR of WARNER own the rights for all the countries mentioned... )

...that said, curiously enough several Australian (Region 4) DVDs in my collection (e.g. "The Patriot") include subtitles in as many as 14 languages, including Hindi and Thai...

...now the French, for whatever reason, tend to be very stingy with subtitles (even French HoH subs for French movies are something of a rarity)... some French DVDs of original (older or more recent) French movies are provided with optional English subs (for instance Casque d'Or or L'Appartement) but most French DVDs of French movies do not have them - more's the pity!...

...as for Canadian releases of French movies - I suppose it depends on whether a DVD is meant for all of Canada, or whether it is released in French-speaking Quebec only, or whether there are actually two releases: one for the 'Canucks', a second one for the other (non-French-endowed) Canadians - as seems to have been the case recently for Le Pacte des Loups...

...yup! it's a mess!...

. . . . . .

Last edited by Hendrik; 10-04-02 at 05:41 PM.
Old 10-04-02, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

...as for the two-disc(!!!) release of Tatie Danielle: it appears to feature 3 (three!) French soundtracks, one of which is dts, but no English subtitles, just the rarely used French HoH ones...

. . . . . .