Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Sex and the City - do guys like this show?

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Sex and the City - do guys like this show?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-02, 09:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sex and the City

Hey, I just got done watching OZ the First Season on DVD and loved it along with all the sopranos seasons, so I was just wondering if guys like Sex and the City at all, because i, of course, am a guy and was just wondering if I would have any interest in it and have never seen an episode, the reason I am wondering is because I know HBO has so many great shows right now and was wondering if this one was any good for the males. Alright well if you guys can help me out that would be appreciated.
Old 10-02-02, 09:31 PM

This show is geared toward women, no question, and it is nothing like the gritty fare you've already sampled. I find it very enjoyable, however, and I am a guy. The humor can get pretty raunchy and you get nudity (albeit brief) in many episodes. Sarah Jessica has a no-nudity clause in her contract, but the other girls have flashed the goods (Kim Cattral most often, and trust me, that's a good thing) throughout the various seasons. Don't judge the series on the pilot episode, though. It (along with a few other early ones) uses an annoying "talking into the camera" gimmick, that died a quick death. Like the other shows, it's best watched in sequence, as there are story arcs that remain central to most of Sarah Jessica's storylines. So, let's see...raunchy humor, boobs, good writing...if that interests you, by all means, give it a try.
Old 10-02-02, 09:37 PM

I watched all three seasons on DVD with my wife and I enjoy the show as much as she does. Chicks talkin' dirty... what's not to like?
Old 10-02-02, 09:49 PM

so do you guys think its worth throwing down the bucks for?
Old 10-03-02, 12:05 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by tupacwe
so do you guys think its worth throwing down the bucks for?
Buy it on eBay, watch it - if you don't like it, sell it back on eBay. Lose out on maybe $5.

Really, it's quality television. It's not in the same league as The Sopranos, Six Feet Under, or Curb Your Enthusiasm, and it's definitely geared towards women, but it's a quality show.
Old 10-03-02, 12:15 AM

Better yet, pick it up as an enrollment selection at Columbia House for less than $10.
Old 10-03-02, 12:35 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by berserker37
Better yet, pick it up as an enrollment selection at Columbia House for less than $10.
ha, true... that's what i do week after week and i didn't even think of that. Doh.
Old 10-03-02, 12:41 AM
Admin Emeritus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Since this is asking about the TV series and not the DVD, I'm moving it to TV Talk. Editing the thread title, too.
Old 10-03-02, 01:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A lot of guys really don't like it, but it's not an exclusive thing. If you like quality television and can appreciate good comedic and dramatic stories told through the viewpoint of 4 women, you'll like the show. It's often very deep and insightful, and while I'm sure women are probably more prone to like it for superficial reasons, there's no substative reason guys shouldn't like it too.

I myself think it's one of the best shows on television. It's on HBO on Sunday nights and isn't called Arli$$. You really need no other endorsement than that.

das
Old 10-03-02, 03:07 AM

Kim Cattrall gets naked. What's not to like?
Old 10-03-02, 05:42 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I like it very much. The acting is great, and the storyline is good. That in its self makes it better then 90% of the shows out there for the viewing public.
Old 10-03-02, 06:40 AM
Defunct Account

I guess I'm in the minority here, but I can't stand the show. I find the jokes rather lame, and can see the punch lines to the jokes coming from a mile away. The biggest fault I have though is that I do not find myself intersted or caring about any of the charectors.

To me, it has a very soap opera-ish feel. Women talking about who is sleeping with whom, who's boyfreind turns out to be married etc.

Now, my wife loves the show, and we own all three seasons on DVD, and I've watched a few episodes with her. So I think I've given it a good try. I also love the Sopranos, and bought the first season of OZ blindly and can not wait for the next season.

So, tupacwe, we like the same HBO shows. But I'd give Sex in the City a pass.
Old 10-03-02, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally posted by das Monkey
A lot of guys really don't like it, but it's not an exclusive thing. If you like quality television and can appreciate good comedic and dramatic stories told through the viewpoint of 4 women, you'll like the show. It's often very deep and insightful, and while I'm sure women are probably more prone to like it for superficial reasons, there's no substative reason guys shouldn't like it too.

I myself think it's one of the best shows on television. It's on HBO on Sunday nights and isn't called Arli$$. You really need no other endorsement than that.

das
I think I may be the only person on Earth who can stand Arli$$$.
Old 10-03-02, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts
I certainly think it is one of the funniest comedies on television. Of course, this is the Dark Ages for TV comedies as far as I'm concerned, so take my first comment for what its worth.
Old 10-03-02, 09:44 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
I too enjoy this show. It's always an entertaining 30 minutes.
Old 10-03-02, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 172 Posts
I like it as well.
Old 10-03-02, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I have enjoyed watching the first 3 seasons of the show. Haven't seen the newer seasons yet. How is the quality of the 4th season compare to the earlier ones?
Old 10-03-02, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

BigDaddy, don't worry. I like Arli$$ too. It's not a great show, but sometimes it's just too damn funny.

mookiemeister, in the latter seasons, the show has evolved a bit more into the characters' struggles with getting old. Personally, I think it's as good as it's always been. Some people would rather it go back to more raunchy jokes and sexcapades though.

For my money, what makes the show great is how insightful it can be with regard to human relationships, be it friends or lovers or both. Through the show's run, that really hasn't changed at all, and it's why I never miss an episode.

das
Old 10-04-02, 02:32 PM

Anyone know when this is coming back for a "bonus season" if at all again within the next couple of months?
Old 10-04-02, 02:34 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 110 Likes on 99 Posts
I love it, and find it to be sometimes genuinely touching.

A great show about friendship, with a dash of sex thrown in.
Old 10-04-02, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ironically, I watch this show every week, and my wife leaves the room when it comes on.
Old 10-05-02, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,408 Likes on 1,031 Posts
I must have watched the only no-nudity episode. When I didn't see any sex or at least boobs, I gave up on it.

Is it on HBO? I only get Showtime.
Old 10-07-02, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I also love the show, but have only seen the first three seasons (rented them).