Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

short review: my beautiful girl mari

International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Old 09-30-02, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well, after looking forward to the dvd for some time, i can honestly say i was not disappointed at all.

overall: 9 (unless you're not into these kind of movies - then a 5)

the animation is very simple (i think poetic) but vibrant and w/ an odd sensibility. at times, i was blown away w/ the animation's ability to give a sense of depth while at other times, it was flat. although i liked it a lot, if you're looking for some sort of ground breaking animation, don't look here.

the story is also very simple - there are themes of loss (childhood, parents, friends, dreams) and how to cope w/ it; friendship; adolescent love (real/imagined); fantasy/escapism; and a hint of how to live in the modern world. there isn't any action to speak of nor violence. more like a quiet drama w/ fantasy overtones. but a lot of the themes are not fully developed. they are hinted at and at times, left alone. i was ok w/ this - i don't enjoy it when everything is either explained too much or made too obvious.

i loved the quirky music - so much that i had gotten the soundtrack before i got the movie. sort of a new age-y style. maybe eno-ish.

a serious movie - more like a poem than the typical prose of most animated movies. minimalist...
Old 09-30-02, 11:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think the music and the animation are its strongest points.

Story wise its not a patch on any ghibli films on nostalgia.

Last edited by cirrus888; 09-30-02 at 11:55 PM.