Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Opinions of "Lord Of The Rings" for Xbox?

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-02, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anybody played/bought this one yet?

I just bought it yesterday and only had a chance to play for 10 minutes or so. So far, so good. I'll have to give it a bit more time before I post detailed thoughts.

How about you?
Old 09-30-02, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

it's out???

edit - just talked to good ol' mom in Indy and hopefully my copy will be shipped out to me this week

Last edited by Shuki; 09-30-02 at 03:00 PM.
Old 09-30-02, 02:17 PM

Haven't picked it up yet....but I have seen it on the shelves everywhere.
Old 10-01-02, 07:07 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hmmmmm should I pick this sucker up? I have like no flippin' time for studying. Maybe I'll play this one on January break.
Old 10-01-02, 07:43 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
The reviews for this have been less than favorable, which surprises me.
Old 10-01-02, 08:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

THis one kinda looks like Golden Axe, the one I am really interested in are the ones based on the books as opposed to the movie.
Old 10-01-02, 08:30 AM

Originally posted by Liver&Onions
THis one kinda looks like Golden Axe, the one I am really interested in are the ones based on the books as opposed to the movie.
This is the one based on the books. The "hack and slash" bashed on the movies is called The Two Towers and isn't out yet (11/5 for the PS2).

Last edited by Groucho; 10-01-02 at 08:34 AM.
Old 10-01-02, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Ah crap. I was looking forward to these 'book' ones.... time to read some more reviews. Oh wait, I don't even have an Xbox yet....
Old 10-01-02, 10:39 PM

Is this game good,? i was thinkin about buyin an Xbox just for this and like 2 other games, since the price is dropping again soon
Old 10-01-02, 10:52 PM
Shawn

Originally posted by Mantecore
Is this game good,? i was thinkin about buyin an Xbox just for this and like 2 other games, since the price is dropping again soon
when? and proof?
Old 10-01-02, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by Shawn
when? and proof?
If the rumor is true. It will be the same price, but come with Sega GT 2002, JSRF, and an S controller. Amazing deal for $200.
Old 10-02-02, 09:26 AM

So is the game any good? I've been looking forward to it. IGN Insider has a reveiw but alas I do not subscribe. Anyone read that? Better yet, anyone play it?
Old 10-02-02, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
I always question a game that is released with no reviews available.
Old 10-02-02, 09:30 AM
Retired

I don't have high hopes for any of the LOTR games, especially the EA hack and slash one. Most movie license games blow chunks, I doubt these will be any different.

I'll hold off judgement on the book based games, as I know nothing about them, but I'm really not expecting much out of this, or the GBA game.
Old 10-02-02, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Groucho says this IS the book based one.....
Old 10-02-02, 09:58 AM
Retired

I know this is the book based one, I just said I would reserve judgement on it as I've seen know reviews and don't even know what type of game it is for sure.
Old 10-02-02, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Guy at EB today said they have only sold one and it was returned in 30 minutes. Didn't try it myself though. He said his experience with it was pretty bad and he actually encouraged me not to buy it.

Nice store policy.
Old 10-02-02, 03:56 PM

Is 30 minutes really enough to get home, put in the game, and play it enough that you know it sucks? Methinks the EB guy was exaggerating just a tad.
Old 10-03-02, 01:34 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'll be glad when mine gets here.

You know it's these titles that you are expecting to suck that are really nice surprises sometimes! And then there's the flip side that coin as well.... and that's not such nice surprises....
Old 10-03-02, 05:30 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'll post two other "regular" gamers reviews that I read over at xboxclubhouse.com...

from robbydobbs:
Dont believe the IGN review.

They made one glaring error that basically made it clear to me that this person either didnt play the game, or played a very short portion of it.

That glaring error was his comment about the graphics being sub par. Or not XBOX quality.

The graphics in this game are amazing, the first time you see the sunlight coming through a window and reflecting the dust in the air, just like in real life, your blown away.

No other game has as much activitey going on at one time, like kids playing tag as bugs chase each other through the air, leaves floating to the ground, its really quite amazing.

Its this persons comment on the graphics that blew his cover, of course I'm playing the game on an HDTV.

Typical XBOX review, and by the way, this game is based on the books, not the movie. Its not all action, just as the books werent all action.

This is the first game I've played at this pace that I can actually say I love.

Sorry IGN, but you blew it on this review.

At least rent the game, if your a fan of the books, you'll love it.
If your a fan of the movie, get EA's version, as I'm sure that one being on PS2 will get atleast a 9.0 from IGN.

then adds:
Well I've played a few more hours of the game and being a fan of the books I can honestley say JOB WELL DONE !

One thing about the game that really stands out is the world itself, their is so much going on around you that you really feel your there.

An example would be my traveling down the road and seeing butterflies floating through the air, as two little hobbits run by giggling as they play tag. The world in this game is just so, alive.

Waite till you see the effect when Frodo puts the ring on his finger, WOW.

Theirs also quite a bit of suspense when trying to get to your next mission, dodging from hill to tree to gully in the attempt to not be seen by the Dark Rider and his pal.

Their is a light in the game that glows green when the coast is clear, it then turns yellow when there is a possability of being spotted, and if it turns red, your in trouble.

The more you wear the ring the more evil you become, if you wear it to long you turn to the dark side.

The good thing is, you can reverse the rings effects on you by doing good deeds for the towns folk. So far, so great.

Again, as of right now the games pace may turn some off, as it is slow, and makes you think your way through, instead of just fight.

Of course I'm playing Frodo right now, and hes not known for his fighting skills.

Thats it for now, fans of the books series will love this. Fans of the movie might want to try the one based on the movie instead.

From WillyLee23:
I rented the game over the weekend to check it out and to see if it is worth to buy. Well I can already tell you that I am still unsure after playing several hours through the game.

Personally, I am a huge fan of Tolkien's work and have a huge chunk of LOTR merchandise and when I heard about this game I was positive I was going to buy it.

A lot of good things can be said about the game: The storyline follows that of the novels pretty good but some events are added to spicen the game up for ppl who know the story like the back of their hand; things such as going into town to sell your house to your cousin Lobelia and taking side-quests to help out the townsfolk.
The graphics are pretty nice. Adding on with the setting, and characters that have seemingly real personality and problems make the world seem alive than having the whole game revolve around your character.
Action and combat isn't much emphasized as pushing along the story in this game (just like the books). Though this could be a bad thing for some people but I really don't mind.

The most outstanding downfalls I have had with the game so far were:
The AI of the baddies were pretty pathetic. I know I said combat wasn't a big emphasis on the game itself but if you are going to have it you might as well make it enjoyable, right? Well I was disappointed with the basic hack and slash with it (especially with Frodo). Fighting is centered around several key attacks/maneuvers: Ranged attacks (throwing rocks, arrows, or magic attacks), Fighting hand to hand (Swords, daggers, staves), and blocking. There is a charged attack that you can perform that will nearly kill an enemy with one successful blow which is a good additive. The combat system works well for a game like this, but the AI is what makes it bad: Enemies don't strive to kill you when they spot you, they would retreat if you would walk several feet away or just sit still. The good thing about the enemies is that they have the same lethal capabilities as you do: A norm attack, charged attack, and a block. The bad part is the AI doesn't always know when to use the maneuvers effectively. (A lot of times it is obvious when they are blocking, giving a no-brainer NOT to swing at them. You can stand still just out of range from a baddy and hold a charged attack and 9 times out of 10 it will charge you, giving you an easy kill.) The most fun I had with combat when I was playing with Aragorn. It works the same way but the choreography of his sword attacks were so nicely done it was fun to watch him fight regardless of the horrible AI.

MY SUMMARY: The game is appealing if you are looking for more or less an INTERACTIVE MOVIE rather than button-mashing, non-stop action action (AHEM Dynasty Warriors 3!!!). The game stays pretty true to the book, and adds some twists to keep it fresh no matter how much you may know the storyline. The game may have VERY LITTLE replay value unless you plan on playing through the game and decide to make different decisions prior to the ones you made before. I would recommend this game if you are one to appreciate videogames on an artistic level rather than a non-stop action level.
Old 10-03-02, 06:10 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I thought about pricematching this game at Bestbuy for 39.99 but I would like to hear more before I drop the cash.
Old 10-03-02, 06:37 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

who's selling it for $39.99?
Old 10-03-02, 08:16 AM

That guy who wrote the first review Shuki posted sure likes scenes of kids playing tag...he mentioned it twice. "Kids playing tag? WOW! That's the game for me!" I know a lot of people were pissed at Peter Jackson because he cut the 15 chapters of The Fellowship of the Ring that dealt with kids playing tag. Or should I say Peter Jack$on?
Old 10-03-02, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Shuki
who's selling it for $39.99?

All this week at Circuit City......