Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Is Tetsuro: The Iron Man in print in *any* region?

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-02, 05:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi guys. I'm trying to find Tetsuro for any region. I can't find the R1 for sale anywhere (aside from the big $$$ rare sites) and was wondering if anyone knows where I can find any R0-R6 copies of this flick. The short subject included on the R1 disc would be really nice but I know I might have to lose it. Even a store with a R1 in stock would be the bees knees.

Thanks.
Old 09-30-02, 05:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Yeah - it's in Region 1 actually.

http://www.dvdboxoffice.com/?country=usd

It's difficult to find now - I think it's out of print. The site above has it (Canada) and Amazon has it from a second hand seller. I think you were having trouble finding it cuz it's spelled "Tetsuo"
Old 09-30-02, 05:30 AM

Geez. I'm an idiot. Thanks Trigger. I did find the Amazon listing for it but found they wanted an arm and a leg for it. At the OOP price Duck Soup would be higher on my list than Tetsuo but for $37 CDN then it'll be worth it. Especially since I won't have to worry about duties (I'm from Canada).

Has anybody bought from these folks b4?
Old 09-30-02, 05:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

You might want to check for some reviews of that retailer... go to www.dvdpricesearch.com and look for tetsuo - then click on the title and this retailer should show up... click on the stars at the right and you'll be treated to some customer reviews. Some like them and some don't. Some have said that they show something in stock that they don't actually have... which might be the case here. You might want to give them a call since you're already in Canada and see if they can verify that it's in stock.
Old 09-30-02, 05:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

You can pick up the VHS of Tetsuo from half.com for 12 bucks... someone's selling the DVD for 75 bucks. I'll keep my eyes open for it.
Old 09-30-02, 05:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

CDUniverse lists it as 21 bucks, but it's on backorder. Worth a shot I guess.
Old 09-30-02, 05:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

You're in luck - earlier this year, Tartan released this film in the UK. If you are Region 2 capable and PAL, you can buy it for less than 20 pounds. I just looked at blackstar, but you might want to try Bensonsworld. Pokerindustries has it as well for 30 USD.
Old 09-30-02, 05:51 AM

Thanks 4 the research. I did the look up as you suggested and only half.com and amazon.com came up for this title here:

http://dvdtalk.pricegrabber.com/sear...c549464f56374/

I'll do some searching on this board for them. Even though they list stuff which is OOP as long as the don't charge the CC right away and run with the money then I'll give it a go. Plus I will give them a buzz later today about it.

I actually have the VHS (Thank You Blockbuster PV bin). CDUniverse is always an option though I've heard some horror stories; though these were back in '99 or so.

It's mainly because of my VHS that $75 US is way too rich for my blood. Thanks for keeping your eyes peeled for it. Every time I watch this movie I'd swear mine are closed for half of it
Old 09-30-02, 05:54 AM

Originally posted by Trigger
You're in luck - earlier this year, Tartan released this film in the UK. If you are Region 2 capable and PAL, you can buy it for less than 20 pounds. I just looked at blackstar, but you might want to try Bensonsworld. Pokerindustries has it as well for 30 USD.
Yoah! There we go. I'll shoot for the R1 since it'll be cheaper (20 pounds=$45 CDN + $13ish duties). I'll try all the usual u.k. outlets. Thanks again!
Old 09-30-02, 05:59 AM

Amazon UK has it for 17 pounds so it should be 14ish I'm guessing after the Vat removal. Though it doesn't include the short subject this is a great "back up" option.

I'm surprised IMDB didn't list the u.k. pressing as this is where I found the hyperlink for the OOP amazon.com link.

http://us.imdb.com/Title?0096251

The .com says that it's full frame. Is that the format it was filmed in? IMDB does not say.
Old 09-30-02, 06:04 AM

Bensonsworld actually has this for 12 pounds w/ free intl shipping. They have a good record of sneeking by customs here in Canada so I'll have to do some thinking if I want to pay the extra ~$16 for the short subject (assuming DVD box Office actually has it).
Old 09-30-02, 06:09 AM
Cool New Member

It's also available in Japan as a special edition (though out of print and no English subtitles at all) and still available as a special edition including Tetsuo II in France:

Testuo
Old 09-30-02, 06:14 AM

Originally posted by Markus Mathis
It's also available in Japan as a special edition (though out of print and no English subtitles at all) and still available as a special edition including Tetsuo II in France:

Testuo
kewl. Even if it was in print the lack of english subs rules out the Japanese pressing for me; though it explains why I couldn't find anything at amazon Japan.

The France copy looks nice too. Though I've heard (never seen it) that 2 wasn't nearly as good and if I read the page right don't think the France pressing has English subs?
Old 09-30-02, 06:16 AM

huh. The France site lists it as being widescreen. If the U.K. one is OAR too then it'd be worth loosing the short 4 sure. Here I thought my info search was coming to an end

Thanks again for the info guys.
Old 09-30-02, 06:53 AM
Cool New Member

Here's a review of the French DVD, unfortunately it's in French only, but it has some screenshots. I don't know why they list it as 16:9 Anamorph, it's OAR is 1.33:1

Tetsuo French DVD Review
Old 09-30-02, 07:29 AM

Here's a review of the French DVD, unfortunately it's in French only, but it has some screenshots. I don't know why they list it as 16:9 Anamorph, it's OAR is 1.33:1

Tetsuo French DVD Review
There we go. Thanks for the info and link. I've only seen this on vhs and since everything is butchured to 1:33 I had no idea what this is.

Looks like I'll be ordering the copy from BensonsWorld. Even without the extra short it's a steal.
Old 09-30-02, 07:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bensons World has it on sale

Bensons has it for 12 pounds shipped as part of their "World Cinema" sale. I can't confirm it, but someone on Asian Dvd Guide said the transfer is better than the US release. Here is the link.

http://www.bensonsworld.co.uk/detail...=7000000069050

Also they have Body Hammer on sale as well if you are intrested.

http://www.bensonsworld.co.uk/detail...=7000000069052
Old 10-01-02, 06:47 AM

I recently went on a hunt for the R1 version of Tetsuo:Iron Man. DVDBoxoffice does not have the title in stock, I had it on order from them for over 2 months. I finally got lucky and found it used for $15 from Digitaleyes.net.
A couple notes on the OOP Image R1 release: Although it is listed on the packaging, there is no short subject included on the R1 version. Also, the full frame presentation is not butchered, it's OAR is 1.37:1, http://us.imdb.com/Technical?0096251 .
Old 10-01-02, 11:55 AM

Re: Bensons World has it on sale

Originally posted by ScreachingWeasel
Bensons has it for 12 pounds shipped as part of their "World Cinema" sale. I can't confirm it, but someone on Asian Dvd Guide said the transfer is better than the US release. Here is the link.

http://www.bensonsworld.co.uk/detail...=7000000069050

Also they have Body Hammer on sale as well if you are intrested.

http://www.bensonsworld.co.uk/detail...=7000000069052

I couldn't find any refernece to the sale on the main page? Does it say anywhere how long it runs for?

Canada customs is currently on a work to rule campeign so that means about $13 in taxes and duties for sure so if possible I'd like to be able to wait till it's done (about 1 week I'm guessing).

Thanks for the info on the pressing quality between US and UK. With T. Bickle's info (Thanks for it btw) on the lack of featurette then it's R2 for sure.

This omission does not surprise me. Every Image disc I own is disappointing. They just don't seem to care about quality products. Listings a feature and not including it? :sigh:

Thanks again to all the posters. Now all I need is to get somebody to watch Tetsuo with without making it seem like I'm to afraid to watch it by myself (which is the case) .
Old 10-01-02, 01:21 PM

Tetsuo French DVD Review
Hey!! Isn't the one color photo on that review page the same dude that was in Ichi the Killer?

edit: Nevermind, I answered my own question
He is Shinya Tsukamoto. Actor & director on both Tetsuo films.

Cheers,
Gabe

Last edited by gabegarwick; 10-01-02 at 01:36 PM.
Old 10-07-02, 05:14 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

any body got any more info regarding this DVD?

Old 10-08-02, 05:10 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The French double release has the correct OARs - 1.33:1 for Tetsuo: The Iron Man, 1.85:1 for Tetsuo II: The Body Hammer. It's an excellent edition, IMO. But sorry, no English subtitles.