Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

which xbox controller do you prefer?

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games
View Poll Results: which xbox controller do you prefer?
original
39.68%
controller "s"
53.97%
they both suck!
6.35%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-29-02, 07:11 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I've tried to get used to this smaller controller "s" for a week or so but it's just not cutting it. I really prefer the original xbox controller over the smaller "s" version. What about you?
Old 09-29-02, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yep!!

Same here!!

I tried the controller s at the store and I didn't like it. I prefer my original controller.
Old 09-29-02, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,058 Likes on 641 Posts
Where is "They're both great" option?

Really, I like them both but for different games. For example, I prefer the S controller for DOA3 & the regular controller for Halo.
Old 09-29-02, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

S for me. I have pretty big hands, (I can palm a basketball with ease) and I still have a hard time with the original controller. I was so grateful that MS released the S here. Of all my friends, only one prefers the original one, and he's a 6"6" and 280lbs football player.
Old 09-29-02, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,875 Likes on 1,235 Posts
Though no one agrees with me , I found the original XBox controller to be the most natural feeling of any controller for any console I've ever played.
Old 09-29-02, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by ctyner
Though no one agrees with me , I found the original XBox controller to be the most natural feeling of any controller for any console I've ever played.
I agree...

Except now I prefer the Interact PowerPad Pro. I thought the S controller was suck. I don't like the way the buttons are laid out like a PS2 controller... I prefer the way the original buttons are... it's also a bit on the small side.
Old 09-29-02, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Controller S.

The original controller is the first video game controller that made my hands crap. I didn't play much Halo the first week that I had my Xbox (even though I really wanted to) because I couldn't stand the controller and couldn't find the controller S anywhere. I don't have especially small hands, I think it was mainly the way that I was holding it, I couldn't get a good feel for where my hands should go to comfortably hit all the buttons. Playing Tony Hawk with the original controller was terrible - I ended up using my forefinger to grind while using my thumb for the other three buttons .
Old 09-29-02, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I love the S controller. The button layout is like the Dreamcast pad, plus the black and white buttons and it fits my hand perfectly.

Its my one of my favorite controllers second only to the Wavebird.

The original is okay, but I could never get comfortable with it. Going from playing games on the Dreamcast to playing games on the S controller was easy since they both have identical button layouts (plus the b&w buttons of course).
Old 09-29-02, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm thinking it's not much to do with handsize at all. I'm 5'8" and no way I could palm a basketball And even both by 4 year old and 6 year old prefer the orginal... Of course the 4 year old probably does just because big brother does and big brother probably does just because daddy does Well, on second thought, not very scientific approach huh
Old 09-29-02, 12:18 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Controller S by far. The original is just too big and balky for me. The controller S is just the right size IMO.
Old 09-29-02, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I prefer the original, but I don't use it for my Xbox games. I had the Controller S for 2 days and returned it for a Wavebird .
Old 09-29-02, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 1 Post
"s"... it feels more like my duel shock ps2 controllers. The original one was too bulky.

-k
###
Old 09-29-02, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I prefer the original over the 's'. Granted I've only had the chance to use the 's' a few times but the original just seems to fit my hands better.
Old 09-29-02, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I'm fine with either of them.
I haven't really developed a preference for one yet.
Old 09-29-02, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I can't stand the PS1 control! What deterred me from purchasing a PS2 was the damn controller! Couldn't Sony come up with a new controller!?!?! Yea some people like it but it's boring to me…old news! And it never really fit well with my hands….and the analog joystick is too loose!.

I love my XBOX controller…the S-Controller! The game cube controller is great too. The L and R feel awesome. My only quirk with GC is the Z button, what's up with that?

Overall, the S controller for XBOX is fantastic! Love it!
Old 09-29-02, 03:59 PM
Banned

I think this is definately one of those questions that depends on your past experience. I love the original controler and it fits in my hand perfect. I found it to be very similar to the Dreamcast controler. But, I would understand those who dislike the controler if they were use to the PS1 or PS2 controlers. Once you get use to a certain size object in yours hands to play with (ooops, made a dirty reference without trying ) and you play countless hours with that size, others will feel unnatural after that. I cant cope with the PS2 controlers because of this.
Old 09-29-02, 09:12 PM

Location: Austin, Texas XboxLIVE Gamertag: Golucky Timezone: Central (CST)
The original work the best for me!
Old 09-29-02, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by FonMan
I think this is definately one of those questions that depends on your past experience. I love the original controler and it fits in my hand perfect. I found it to be very similar to the Dreamcast controler. But, I would understand those who dislike the controler if they were use to the PS1 or PS2 controlers.
Actually, I've owned a import dreamcast since its initial rollout in Japan. I never had any problems with its controller in the past, but the original xbox controller was just a no-go.

Didn't feel right, and it was the first controller that gave me hand cramps. But that's just me.

-k
###
Old 09-30-02, 02:40 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I like the Orignal, I don't like the Black and White buttons on the bottom.
Old 09-30-02, 06:17 AM

I prefer the original. I have 4 of them.
Old 09-30-02, 08:27 AM

Location: Austin, Texas XboxLIVE Gamertag: Golucky Timezone: Central (CST)
I prefer the original. I guess i've gotten used to it. I tried the "s" controller for a week, and didn't like it that much. I might get a "s" controller for my daughter, cause she's got little hands.
Old 09-30-02, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I haven't used the "s", but like Keyser the original gave me hand cramps so the s wins by default.
Old 09-30-02, 10:55 AM

I forgot which thread was it....but someone said holding the original XBOX controller is like holding a Gamecube! HAHA CLASSIC!

I need to find the actual quote! That's signature material!
Old 09-30-02, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,875 Likes on 1,235 Posts
Originally posted by White Knight
I forgot which thread was it....but someone said holding the original XBOX controller is like holding a Gamecube! HAHA CLASSIC!

I need to find the actual quote! That's signature material!
Um, okay. <small>...steps far, far away...</small>

The post you're looking for can be found at http://dvdtalk.com/forum/showthread....03#post2847203

-Adam, who apparently isn't nearly as easily amused
Old 09-30-02, 11:27 AM

If he eats a gamecube, you should eat an Xbox controller. They both weigh about the same.
ScandalUMD

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.