Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Final Fantasy clones that may bury the series...

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-02, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Japanese developer, Level 5 who had previously only released one game - Dark Cloud - for the PS2 revealed 2 new games at the Tokyo Game Show. Both games have a very similar look to each other and both play the console rivals against each other. A friend of mine who attended the Tokyo Game Show said that both were impressive, but that the one for the Xbox blew his mind. Cel Shading at its best. The PS2 game apears to be an RPG without online features, but the Xbox game is an MMORPG.

For the PS2:
Dark Chronicle

DARK CHRONICLE. An adventure that surpasses both space and time, brought to life through the incredibly unique world and story of Yuris, the boy genius.

Yuris is a genius boy.
As you venture through DARK CHRONICLE, you collect the parts that makeup the world. The Georama System gives you the power to use these parts to create the world as you see fit. Additionally, DARK CHRONICLE is filled with elements which you can use to create your own inventions.

But there are things that we can not create - the unquestionable truths of today, and of course our own memories and even history itself. These are the things that Yuris and his friends must strive to overcome.

Dramatic scenes are displayed with complete voice tracks, and unique character traits and expressions are vastly improved to create a living story of encounters, hidden schemes, and secrets.

What will Yuris and his friends feel when their adventure ends?

For the Xbox:
True Fantasy Live Online

The info was in Japanese, but all I can get from it is that it's an MMORPG and it's set to come out in 2003. Sadly, both of these games appear to be Japan only games so far.

Old 09-28-02, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looks good. Hope to see them in the States! Is that cel-shading?
Old 09-28-02, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah - both are cel shaded, but they are using slightly different techniques. My friend said the Xbox game was amazing in motion and got alot of attention at the show.
Old 09-28-02, 11:33 AM
Retired

I don't think anything will ever bury the Final Fantasy series. It's just to well known and too popular. I mean there's been tons of Mario clones and the Mario is still thriving, with each incarnation raising the bar for the genre in most peoples (especially reviewers) opinions.

Anyway, the PS2 game looks promising, the X-box one doesn't interest me as I hate MMORPGs.
Old 09-28-02, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Josh Hinkle
I don't think anything will ever bury the Final Fantasy series.
I don't either - I just said that to be shocking so people would look at the thread.
Anyway, the PS2 game looks promising, the X-box one doesn't interest me as I hate MMORPGs.
Wow, I must be able to see into the future because I knew you wouldn't like the Xbox one.

Neither of these games interest me, but they both look pretty cool.
Old 09-28-02, 11:39 AM
zig

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The xbox one has very nice graphics and the cel-shading is nicely done.. and the environments are cool.. I just hope they change the name. "True Fantasy Live Online"? Sheesh.. which name is it trying to copy.. Final Fantasy or Phantasy Star Online?
Old 09-28-02, 11:54 AM
Retired

Originally posted by Trigger

Wow, I must be able to see into the future because I knew you wouldn't like the Xbox one.
You really need to get rid of this X-box fanboy attitude you have of getting offended anytime anyone says something negative about one of its games.

I can understand getting upset when someone bashes the system (i.e says it's just a PC, or that the Gamecube is "kiddy."

I simply said I'm not interested in it because MMORPGs suck ass. It has nothing to do with it being on the X-box. I'm actually keeping a tally of games that interest me on the X-box, and will pick one up when (if) the total gets above 10 or so and the price drops again. This game simply isn't going on the list.
Old 09-28-02, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't care about people thinking some Xbox games suck... I was just saying that I knew what you would say. I think alot of Xbox games suck. I also hate MMORPGs as well as Japanese RPGs. I do find it kinda funny that you call me a fanboy. I also find it funny that you can understand why someone would be upset if someone said a 'certain system' is "kiddy" but you can't understand why someone would get tired of hearing nothing but negative comments about a 'certain system' from the same person.

Anyway - I don't care. You can hate whatever you want. I was just presenting the information for the people. These aren't my types of games, but since alot of people here like this stuff I thought they would be interested. I apoligize that it was only 50% interesting to you.
Old 09-28-02, 12:51 PM
Retired

Originally posted by Trigger
I also find it funny that you can understand why someone would be upset if someone said a 'certain system' is "kiddy" but you can't understand why someone would get tired of hearing nothing but negative comments about a 'certain system' from the same person.
I could understand you getting sick of it if I was posting negative comments about the X-box. I don't, and I certainly didn't in this thread. I said that game didn't interest me because it's a MMORPG. You just take your false conception of my being anti-xbox and twist that to say you knew I wouldn't like it because it was on the X-box.

The game being on the x-box has nothing to do with it. If the normal RPG was on the X-box and the MMORPG was on the PS2 I would have said. "The X-box game looks promising but the PS2 game doesn't interest me because I hate MMORPGs."

Just get over this false preconception you have that I hate everything Xbox and you'll quit putting words in my mouth and misinterpretting my posts.

For instance, I know most Nintendo games, and things about the gamecube, don't appeal to you. I don't label you as anti-nintendo and assume anytime you post something about Nintendo it's going to be negative because you hate them and have some kind of agenda against them.

I read each of your posts at face value, with no prejudiced preconceptions. I'd appreciate if you'd do the same to me.
Old 09-28-02, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I could understand you getting sick of it if I was posting negative comments about the X-box. I don't, and I certainly didn't in this thread.
Okay - my bad I guess... maybe it was because in another thread you referred to Microsoft as "evil, greedy and sleazy" so I must've read into it too much. I didn't know you actually like the Xbox.
Old 09-28-02, 01:24 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Very cool looking games. Hopefully the cel-shading won't turn people away because I think it looks great. I don't want to see all games take that approach, but a few here and there is great.
Old 09-28-02, 01:27 PM
Retired

Yeah, I have nothing against the X-box. It's a powerful system, the hard drive is great, especially for sports games. When it gets more games on it that I want, I'll pick one up, probably in a year or so after another price drop.

I'm not a big fan of MS, but I don't let my hatred of the company keep me from enjoying it's products. IE is the best web browser, Word is the best word processor, and the X-box is a good system.

For example, I hate Disney's business practices, but I don't let that keep me from enjoying Toy Story.
Old 09-28-02, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Groucho
Very cool looking games. Hopefully the cel-shading won't turn people away because I think it looks great. I don't want to see all games take that approach, but a few here and there is great.
I actually like the Cel Shaded look. I think it's cool. Robotech looks cool even though it's boring.