Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Robbery Homocide Division 9.27.01

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-02, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CSI Robbery Homocide Division 9.27.01

Caught this after John Doe. Grabbed me from the beginning and kept me the whole time. Interesting camera work and angles. Tom Sizemore was excellent also.This looks like it might become a must-see for me if it stays at the same quality.
Old 09-27-02, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It was alright. The storyline didn't really grab me and the show seemed to go on forever. I'll check it out again next week to see if it gets better.
Old 09-27-02, 10:59 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Pretty dull. I'm not sure why so many critics are raving about the show. I'll give it another chance, but it's certainly no "The Shield."

I don't understand why "CSI" is in the subject header of the thread?
Old 09-28-02, 02:01 AM

I agree with Boot. It's definitely slow and deliberate (lots of pauses in conversations), but that just makes it seem more real to me; people actually considering what was just said to them and formulating a response.

For the first ten minutes or so, something seemed weird. Obviously it looked different than most shows, but I didn't think that was it. Then I realized it was the sound - it sounded less processed or something - most of the background noises were left in. This also makes it seem more.

The way it's shot and recorded is kind of a double-edged sword though; on one hand, if done right, it makes for an intriguing show; but on the other hand, if the writing is poor, it will seem terribly unreal (like in behind-the-scenes documentaries when you see actors doing scenes, but shot with a cheap, personal hand-held camera - ugh). The only part that seemed bad, in my opinion, was the when Tom Sizemore was talking to the assistant to the first guy killed - but I forgive that because he was probably still figuring out how he wanted to play the Pacino-like character.

The show reminded me of Heat (obviously), and, based on this episode, I think it'll be a must-see for me as well - especially once I get my HV power supply back for my projector, and am able to watch it in HD on a 110" screen .
Old 09-28-02, 03:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I have to hand it to any show that uses Deltron 3030. But I didnt see anything in the first episode to set it apart from the miriad of police procedural shows out there. If you ask me aside from a few notable exeptions like The Wire and The Shield, the whole cop drama genre is wearing pretty thin.
Old 09-28-02, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Groucho
I don't understand why "CSI" is in the subject header of the thread?
I thought it was a CSI show. Am I mistaken? If so, mods, please alter the title. Thanks.
Old 09-28-02, 09:47 AM

Was it just me, or did Tom Sizemore play the lead EXACTLY like Al Pacino did in Heat?

I kept waiting for Tom to scream out:
"...cause she's got a GREAT A$$!!!!"
or
"You can get killed walking your doggie!"

For the first 30 minutes of the show, I had a hard time getting past one of the "crew" from the movie playing the cop on the TV show. By the third act or so, I got into it more, and looked past the similarities to Michael Mann's movie.

All in all, I thought it was worth giving next week's show a chance.

I will NOT, however, be watching "Hack" as a lead-in again. That show was just plain baaaaad.
Old 09-28-02, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I started to watch RHD, but I gave up on it halfway through. Just didn't like it very much. IMO, Fox wins the Friday night battle with Firefly and John Doe...
Old 09-28-02, 01:58 PM
Admin Emeritus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by bretski
Was it just me, or did Tom Sizemore play the lead EXACTLY like Al Pacino did in Heat?

or
Yep, I had this feeling just from watching the trailers.

GIMME ALL YA GOT!
Old 09-28-02, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I liked it a lot, and it'll stay programmed in my VCR. Being reminded of "Heat" is not a bad thing.
Old 09-29-02, 01:01 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I feel bad that I missed it. I was really looking forward to seeing it. What were your opinions on the look of the show- I read that it was shot on HD using mostly available light. If this were the case, I'm not sure if I could sit through an hour of home dogme video.
Old 09-29-02, 03:20 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Does anyone know if they'll be replaying this first episode like some other new shows??
Old 09-29-02, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by filmerp
I feel bad that I missed it. I was really looking forward to seeing it. What were your opinions on the look of the show- I read that it was shot on HD using mostly available light. If this were the case, I'm not sure if I could sit through an hour of home dogme video.
I liked the look. The camera was sometimes frenetic and sometimes still, and it was often tight on its subjects, giving the sense of claustrophobia. It is a rather dark show, in both senses of the word, and is sometimes intentionally grainy, but to me, it fit with the tone. A stylish shoiw for sure, but not so much that it distracted from the drama, IMO.
Old 09-29-02, 12:11 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
Originally posted by rkndkn
Being reminded of "Heat" is not a bad thing.
Exactly!

I enjoyed this show. The story was nothing special, but the staged action sequences and locales were very well done and had a true sense of realism.

I'll continue watching for sure.
Old 09-29-02, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
I'm 70/30 on the show.

The video and sound kinds threw me for a loop a bit, but in the end it didn't bother me.

The story didn't really grab me till close the end (I was somewhat confused), aside from Tom Sizemore and his partner, nobody got much screen time.

But I saw enough that I'll be watching again.
Old 09-29-02, 01:11 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally posted by Frank TJ Mackey
Does anyone know if they'll be replaying this first episode like some other new shows??
Not that I've heard. Not to worry, however. This isn't a typical first show...no intros to the characters or anything, it just pops right into the story. Apart from a couple events, the story could have happened any time in the season.
Old 09-29-02, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Was it shot on digital video? Is that why it looked like that? No wonder. If it had been on film, it would've been much more effective IMHO. Since I KNOW they are just actors, the video look doesn't add to the realism (a la Cops) so much as make it look like a cheap production.
Old 09-30-02, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by bretski

or

For
Maybe next week the cops will be tailing a suspect and lose him, then Tom Sizemore will say:
"I just had coffee with the guy a HALF-HOUR ago!"
Old 09-30-02, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by ipkevin
Was it shot on digital video?
They shoot on high def DV.
Old 10-02-02, 05:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I went back and finished watching the show. It was okay, but not great. I might keep taping it. The thing I hated was the death of the guy near retirement. How cliche.