Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Scrubs Season premiere (9/26)

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-02, 12:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Great episode tonight. The janitor was funny as usual and Men At Work's lead singer singing Overkill at the beginning and end was hilarious.
Old 09-27-02, 01:33 AM
Admin Emeritus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I was wondering who the hell that guy was. For a second I thought it was Peter Gabriel, and then I was like, "No, there's no way he'd do something like this."
Old 09-27-02, 01:48 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I was clueless as to who the singer was as well. I really liked the show, and it's becoming one of my favorites to watch. John C. McGinley is great, definately a lot better work on the show than some of his recent movies.
Old 09-27-02, 02:51 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nothing sexy on Elliott?
Old 09-27-02, 07:07 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

this was my first time watching the show and i was only mildly amused. the best part was the girl in the bra. i will give it a few more weeks but i suspect that the reason i was not laughing was maybe becuase i didn't know any of the backstory?
Old 09-27-02, 07:29 AM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 583 Likes on 335 Posts
I dunno, I didn't think it was nearly as good as many of last season's episodes. I'll stick with it, though. This show has potential, a talented cast, and great writers.
Old 09-27-02, 08:28 AM

I was really dissapointed in the episode. The opening musical number was overkill, as all it did was show that everyone still had issues with each other and set up the guitar breaking joke at the end (which could easily be called from the opening of the episode).

Not that there weren't great moments. The second two scenes with the two guys in bed were really funny.

But considering how this show was pushed by NBC over the summer (wasn't it on something like 3 days a week at times?), I expected something better.
Old 09-27-02, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,659 Likes on 1,035 Posts
Hmmm. I thought it was one of the better episodes. Some of the ones toward the end last year got a little more serious. This was "found the funny."

My wife was nearly in hysterics laughing at the Men at Work singer. Lots of good gags and jokes. All in all I thought it was a solid opener.
Old 09-27-02, 09:25 AM

Originally posted by Chopper
I was really dissapointed in the episode. The opening musical number was overkill, as all it did was show that everyone still had issues with each other and set up the guitar breaking joke at the end (which could easily be called from the opening of the episode).

But considering how this show was pushed by NBC over the summer (wasn't it on something like 3 days a week at times?), I expected something better.
I only got into the show because of the heavy rotation it was in this summer. While the show is not perfect, it's still perhaps the third or fourth best sitcom on the networks. Scrubs is that rare show on TV that can carefully toe the line of having clever dialog without falling over into the realm of too-clever dialog.

The season premier was real strong. Watching the first season I thought that there were times when the show to often relied on music as a crutch (like at the end of nearly each episode when a song with some tenuous connection lyrically or in mood would be played). The opening/recurring appearance of Colin Hay, though, was inspired.
Old 09-27-02, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

First time I watched an episode of this show all the way through. I really really liked it.

I thought the song sounded awesome in acoustical version. This show reminds me of Seinfeld in the way that its not afraid to be a little self aware.
Old 09-27-02, 10:59 AM

Give this show a chance. It was an excellent show last season and I liked last night's episode alot. This show doesn't follow the format of most sitcoms out there (no laugh track, thank God) and I would call it quirky.

Just think of all of the crap that has followed Friends since 1994. This is by and far the best show that you will have seen in that time slot. And hopefully it won't lose too much of the Friends audience (I don't have last nights ratings yet).

And they are pegging Scrubs to take over the Friends timeslot next year. What else are they going to put in that timeslot? All the other good comedies have been on for 5 years or more (and getting tired). At least this show is new and fresh and without the laugh track it makes you actually pay attention to the funny parts, so you know when to laugh.

Chris
Old 09-27-02, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

<small>Originally by CharlesC I thought the song sounded awesome in acoustical version.</small>
Same here!
Old 09-27-02, 11:22 AM

Here are the ratings!

http://tv.zap2it.com/news/dailyniels...ngs.html?28237

The season premire of "Friends," 20.1/31, and "Scrubs," 14.0/21, averaged a 17.1/26 at 8 p.m., snagging the No. 1 spot for NBC. CBS was second with "Survivor: Thailand," 12.2/19. The return of "Monk" on ABC garnered a 5.1/8 while the season premiere of UPN's "WWE SmackDown!" came in fourth. FOX re-aired the Jackie Chan/Chris Tucker movie "Rush Hour," leaving The WB's "Family Affair," 2.3/3, and "Do Over," 2.5/4 in last place.

That looks like a pretty big drop, but it is going against the 2nd half of Survivor, probably when most people tune in anyways. But I'm hoping that it's ratings can improve. If they don't it won't be in jeopardy of cancellation, but they will probably move it to another night. But I hope it can take the place of Friends after next season.

Chris
Old 09-27-02, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 28 Likes on 9 Posts
To be honest, I'll take Scrubs over Will & Grace any Day. And "Good Morning Miami" sucked the big one in my opinion.

As for the song, I too loved the acoustic version. I actually hope they come out with some kind of sountrack with this version on it.
Old 09-27-02, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by sherm42 I actually hope they come out with some kind of sountrack with this version on it.

1. Superman - Lazlo Bane
2. All In My Head - Shawn Mullins
3. Fresh Feeling - Eels
4. Good Time - Leroy
5. Good Life - Francis Dunnery
6. New Slang - The Shins
7. Beautiful World - Colin Hay
8. Hold On Hope - Guided By Voices
9. Fighting For My Love - Nil Lara
10. Dracula From Houston - Butthole Surfers
11. Hooch - Everything
12. Hallelujah - John Cale
13. Have It All - Jeremy Kay
14. End Credit Score - Jan Stevens
15. Overkill - Colin Hay
Old 09-27-02, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 1 Post
What no "Respect" - Erasure ????

(Still have this ep on TiVo... gonna watch it tonite)

-k
###
Old 09-28-02, 10:13 PM

Originally posted by Keyser Soze
What no "Respect" - Erasure ????

(Still have this ep on TiVo... gonna watch it tonite)

-k
###
I know! My first thought too.
Old 09-29-02, 02:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Dang, I missed the first episode. Scrubs is the only new show (not syndicated) on TV that I watch on a regular basis.

I did see "Good Morning Miami", it stunk.
Old 09-29-02, 12:12 PM
Needs to provide a working email

Originally posted by Heat

I did see "Good Morning Miami", it stunk.
What? You weren't just PULLED IN by that whole "head boinking" plot?
Old 09-29-02, 01:43 PM
Banned

There are so many bad sitcoms on the air and this is not one of them. Sad that people tune out to watch crap like Survivor. This a funny show with great characters. It was just as funny as friends without the tiredness and Zach is so adorable.
Old 09-29-02, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by CharlesC
I thought the song sounded awesome in acoustical version. This show reminds me of Seinfeld in the way that its not afraid to be a little self aware.
Originally posted by sherm42
As for the song, I too loved the acoustic version. I actually hope they come out with some kind of sountrack with this version on it.
There is a acustic mp3 floating around out there, sherm & charles, YGM.

-k
###
Old 09-30-02, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: Austin, Texas XboxLIVE Gamertag: Golucky Timezone: Central (CST)
I like the whole whiz boy comment, followed shortly by the Janitor spraying Darian's pants'. Then again with the leaky "o" ring comment.

All in all a good show.
Old 09-30-02, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Keyser Soze
There is a acustic mp3 floating around out there, sherm & charles, YGM.

-k
###
Thanks Keyser! I had actually downloaded it right after bigjim posted the song list. Pretty cool album actually.
Old 09-30-02, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Location: A secret rebel stronghold in the Republic of San Marcos
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
So, uh... does anybody have a screen cap of the big Elliott scene?
Old 10-01-02, 12:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Fielding Mellish
So, uh... does anybody have a screen cap of the big Elliott scene?

My friends is capturing all the the episodes for me. I have all 24 episodes of season 1 and the first episode of season 2.

Of course we can't forget about Christa Miller.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.