Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Help me find other FPS like Halo

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-02, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help me find other FPS like Halo

I love Halo. To death. I've played it through 8+ times on legendary co-op, and three times on legendary single player. I play multiplayer oddball, slayer, king of the hill, etc all the time with friends. I never tire of this game. It's great. The last time I seriously loved a FPS was the original Doom.

Halo got me interested in FPS games all over again, so last week I finally picked up Half-Life: platinum edition (contains the original plus 4 expansion packs including counterstrike). I really don't like it. The gameplay was boring, the platform jumping and stealth missions were lame. I tried Quake 3. Still not fun. I tried Red Faction for PS2. Not fun. I put all these games away after a few hours of play.

I love the motion detector in Halo. I love how the shield system works. I love the great AI of the enemies. I love how you can use only two weapons at a time. I love how you can throw grenades without switching weapons. I love how you can fire at an enemy, run up to him, and bash him with your weapon to finish him off. I love the high production level of the game.

Are there other FPS games that I will like, considering I love Halo but not many of the other popular FPS games?
Old 09-26-02, 02:28 PM

Halo 2 is probably your best bet. A lot of the things that you like about Halo are the things that made it unique from other FPS's. You won't find many of those things in other games at the moment. I'm sure there will be Halo clones showing up in the future, though.
Old 09-26-02, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No One Lives Forever 2 is coming out next week, check out the demo.
Old 09-26-02, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
You're the first person I've heard not like Half-Life... I really can't wrap my brain around that one. I'd say give it another chance. As for other recommendations, I can't think of anything you would like that's like Halo. You could try Serious Sam.
Old 09-26-02, 02:40 PM

NOLF2 should be good, but there is alot of stealth-ish missions in it, so if you don't like that then I would pass on it.

Medal Of Honor: Allied Assault was fantastic, probly the best single player FPS I have ever played... was not to big a fan of it's online play though.

Battlefield 1942 is a really good FPS that combines a strategy game with a FPS... definantly worth checking out.

Those are both war games... I have never played Halo so I am not sure how they compare, but I would definantly give those a shot if you are into PC games.

Serious Sam/Serious Sam: Second Encounter are both really fun games... non stop action, not alot of adventure or story.

I agree with you on Half-Life, single player is pretty horrible, but Counter-Strike multiplayer is probly the best online FPS I have played since Quake2; Give that a whirl if you have not already.
Old 09-26-02, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Trigger
You're the first person I've heard not like Half-Life... I really can't wrap my brain around that one.
There's another in the thread now. I don't get it either, I can understand people not thinking it's the greatest thing ever but it's a quality game through and through.
Old 09-26-02, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Old 09-26-02, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
wow, people don't like half-life? it was game of the year for a reason. the single player game was very intense, not to mention every damn mod they came out with it. I love DoD and was hooked on there style of gun reaction, targetting and realism.

I could understand people not liking CS for cheaters, but it is a fun game.

Have you tried Battlefield. that is HUGE and I loved it waaaaaay more then halo.
Old 09-26-02, 04:38 PM

Originally posted by Jackskeleton
wow, people don't like half-life? it was game of the year for a reason. the single player game was very intense, not to mention every damn mod they came out with it. I love DoD and was hooked on there style of gun reaction, targetting and realism.
I'll second this one!

Since you spent the money on Half-Life, you might want to download some of the mods for it. There is a mod for just about every genre of FPS (WWII, Modern Combat, Zombies, Counter-Terrorists etc.) They're free and you might find one that tickles you fancy. Most of them are online games but there are a few single player mods out there.

Some names to watch for:

Day of Defeat (WWII) my personal fave/obsession
Firearms (Modern Combat)
Team Fortress (Future/Modern combat)
Counter-Strike (terrorists vs counter-terrorists)

Check out this site:
http://www.planethalflife.com
Old 09-26-02, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Multiplayer, I put most of my time in Counter-strike (not anymore, ever), Unreal Tournament, and recently the Unreal Tournament 2003 demo.

Only recent FPS I can remember playing through the single player and loving it is Medal of Honor, that is besides Halo.
Old 09-26-02, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't get the Half-Life thing, but to each their own...

Max Payne was a pretty damn good game. I really enjoyed it, and the bullet time made it at least as innovative as Halo.

Deus Ex is another great FPS, but it has some roleplaying elements mixed in. Again, I don't think you can go wrong with it. Class act game all around.

A little bit older are Shogo and System Shock 2. If you can find these, they should be pretty cheap. Both are great games. Shogo is a FPS, but time is split being on foot and being in a giant mech. The mech controls exactly like a standard character in the FPS, but the sense of scale is great. Enemies you might have to really wrestle with on foot can be crushed in your mech.

System Shock 2 is very similar to Deus Ex, but it has a more horror-scifi feel to it. Very scary game.
Old 09-26-02, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Half-life is really the only single player FPS I've played to come close to Halo's story mode (repetitive levels and all). I'd give it another shot.

For multiplayer I love Soldier of Fortune 2, I have a lot more fun on that than Halo's multiplayer (admittedly 4 players on split screen can't really compete with 16-32 online). There is a multiplayer test available but I don't know if any servers still run it.

Chris
Old 09-26-02, 07:32 PM

ok I just finished Halo and like you was simply blown away. I cannot understand anyone saying grand theft auto 3 was game of the year. I played both and Halo was so immersive . The story, the awe when you first get outside, the atmosphere like in the dark jungle. The last sequence in maw was simply cimematic. Wow. There are similarities between halo and half life but Halo is much better game IMHO. One game you might wanna check out is system shock2 for PC. That was a great game also Undying was cool. If you like the use of motion tracker t5here's always aliens versus predator which was a solid game both versions
Old 09-26-02, 08:31 PM
dgc
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Half Life - Team Fortress Classic is like crack.
Old 09-26-02, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My favorite FPS of all time is Dark Forces 2: Jedi Knight. If you want something more modern I suggest Jedi Knight 2: Jedi Outcast. If you want to be a completist you might as well pick up Dark Forces, but I don't think it is capable of 3D acceleration. I love the second game in the series for the level design, the force powers, the branching storyline (depending on what you do you can follow the path to the dark side or the light side of the force), and the lightsaber. Jedi Outcast is pretty good and has better graphics, but I like its predecessor better.
Old 09-26-02, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yep, as others have said Halo 2 is probably the only thing that will be like Halo until a little more into the future.

Btw, I didn't like Half-Life either.... I bought it very excited as I like fps. It was a very boring game. To each his own I guess.
Old 09-26-02, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
No one has played Battlefield 1942 or what?

Big levels, vehicles you can use and love, good gameplay. it's a great game.

and you can have a lot of fun playing with the physics
Old 09-27-02, 01:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Halo actually reminded me alot of Unreal - maybe you should try Unreal 2 when it comes out (soon).
Old 09-27-02, 02:53 AM

Man, I loved Half-Life. Maybe you guys got into it too late? Or did you guys get it early near launch?

I bought it a few days after launch to play it even on a crap system (Cyrix MII 300 yay!).

As for an FPS like Halo.. your best bet is to hit the PC for FPS's until the end of next year.
Old 09-27-02, 02:59 AM

I agree with trigger about unreal being similar to Halo but didn't want to get flamed to death. I think unreal still holds up today. It doesn't have automatic rejuvination- most don't but has alot of scripted events ala half-life, halo, system shock2, and undying. Undying was the first game where my jaw hit the floor, well until halo
Old 09-27-02, 06:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Undying is great, but I didn't think it was Haloish enough. The original Unreal is great and it does still hold up. Unreal 2 is gonna be better. As for automatic health restoration, if you can't deal with losing heath, then just type up the cheat code for whatever game for God Mode. It's basically the same thing. I hope they get rid of the heath restore for Halo when it hits the PC, cuz with a mouse and keyboard it's gonna be far too easy even on Legendary.
Old 09-27-02, 08:06 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The first 4 or 5 levels of Unreal hold up, you mean.
Old 09-27-02, 09:38 AM

Originally posted by Jackskeleton
No one has played Battlefield 1942 or what?

Big levels, vehicles you can use and love, good gameplay. it's a great game.

and you can have a lot of fun playing with the physics
I posted about that game earlier in the thread... it is a really great combination of FPS and RTS, I think it is really good. Not sure how the online play is (have only tried one player), but I can totally see playing this online and having people just ruin a game being foolish with the vehicles... definantly a game worth trying though.

If you are looking for a great game that is not a FPS, go for WarCraft III. That is hands down the best game I have played in years