Reload this Page >

the west wing--season premiere--9/25

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 09-25-02, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wow!!!! whatever small quality lapse this show was suffereing from last year is gone!!! before i get to my thoughts, i must say...YAY MALLORY IS BACK!!!!

anyway, this had to be one of the funniest WW episodes in its 3 years. the only really great MAJOR thing is how they are setting up the complications from the assasination this at the end of last year. i am really wanting to see what AS and company do with that.

i loved how charlie took that kid and almost beat the s%$ outta him when he was dissin on CJ. plus mallory is back!!!

i am also curious if tonight near the end when sam was talking to mallory if we didn't see the beginning of the exit strategy for sam seaborn. he was talking about the excitement of the oval office and 'wanting to get back in there', does this spell maybe a congressional run that he will go to? hmmmm...

all in all, a really great season premiere. it ranks right up there with the beginning of season 2.

oh yeah, mallory is back.
Old 09-25-02, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Awesome season premier!

Last year we started with the campaign and a new crew of not so likeable and ultimately useless characters in the guise of Ron Silver, Connie Britton, and the bald guy from "It's Like You Know." The so called political strategist served only to be plot obstructors.

But they're gone, except for Silver, who's back in a much more toned down manner. If there was any questions as to whether Sorkin had lost a step in his ability to not only write compelling drama and great comedy on the same page, they should be answered quite emphatically.

The Donna/Josh/Toby roadshow was simply brilliant.

The Mallory/Sam scene did seem like a set-up for what would be Sam's departure, I guess its never too early to start plotting for later in the season.

The show which last season seemed to have jumped around a lot, looking for a compelling story to carry it through the season has already started a few threads (aside from the election, but then aren't they all connected!) that should keep the show moving forward for months.

I am a very happy West Wing fan right now.
Nice to see all the old favorites hitting the right notes!
Old 09-25-02, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
While I think the 3rd season was not as strong as the first two, I still thought it was incredibly compelling television. Episodes like "100,000 Airplanes" and "Bartlet for America" were as powerful as any in the show's run.

That being said, yet another fantastic episode. I just want to shake my head in frustration at those who rag on this show. What on Earth have they been watching? (probably haven't been watching at all) Anyway, I thought the speech scene was a little much, but everything else was fantastic. I love how this show continually champions the strength of the common man while still showing great respect for those who serve this great nation in the highest office. I almost don't mind sitting through two hours of insultingly dreadful NBC promotion while watching The West Wing.

das

P.S. I said "almost."
Old 09-26-02, 12:11 AM

Donna/Josh/Toby roadshow was simply brilliant. -> i think it is boring...
Old 09-26-02, 12:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
they hyped it as teh most anticipated season premiere
ehh, kind of a let down
it was good, but not spectacular
Old 09-26-02, 12:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I thought it was a really well rounded ep. Big to both Charlie and Donna for their actions (Donna's when she set Toby and Josh straight). And to echo kevin75....yay Mallory is back
Old 09-26-02, 01:03 AM

Boomtown Rats + Tori Amos
Dule Hill + Lily Tomlin

Good stuff.
Old 09-26-02, 01:22 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Mallory's back = very good stuff.
Old 09-26-02, 01:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Wow is right. I stayed up late to watch it on my TiVo. Maybe it was my mood; I dunno... But I thought the last half hour was one of the best things I can remember in a long time...

The way "I don't like Mondays" went from an early casual conversation to a muscial commentary over the attack and the speech... The way "I work at the White House" went from a joke to an embarrasment to a challenge to be better people... The way the 3-on-the-road story slowly shifted from comedy into a mission statement...

And Lily makes me smile big.

Last edited by adamblast; 09-26-02 at 01:39 AM.
Old 09-26-02, 01:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I almost forgot one of my favorite bits: Anna Devere Smith going all Dr. Strangelove... And calling General John Amos a big Sissymary!

Last edited by adamblast; 09-26-02 at 01:49 AM.
Old 09-26-02, 07:33 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 142 Likes on 97 Posts
Originally posted by adamblast
I almost forgot one of my favorite bits: Anna Devere Smith going all Dr. Strangelove... And calling General John Amos a big Sissymary!
Oh my goodness I thought that part was hilarious! Great episode IMO. The whole Josh/Toby bet thing made me wonder if Sorkin's was watching Ed reruns over the summer. The whole Charlie smackdown part was great too (forgot how good he looks in a tux). In the next few episodes I predict Sam gets an itching to run for congress which would be very interesting and not too much of a leap for his character.
Old 09-26-02, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by adamblast
Loved it!

Well, I missed the first season, and bought into the second mostly during reruns. (My fav from last year was C.J.’s Saudi speech.)

I was watching the tape this morning while penning my Enterprise rant, decided that I couldn’t split my attention between the two and stopped the tape. (I was on a roll.) I am SO GLAD I chose to focus my attention to the program, as I enjoyed every minute.

This is probably the only program where I feel the urge to abandon multi-tasking in favor of enjoying the show.

I finally have something to look forward to this season!
Old 09-26-02, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 602 Likes on 486 Posts
The Toby-Josh-Donna Planes, Trains, Automobiles was priceless. Then they even want to walk from the VA side of the Memorial Bridge to the White House. Ouch! My feet are hurting just thinking of it.
Old 09-26-02, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Amazing that one show can be so good, and so many other shows can be sooooooooooooo bad.

Favorite line, Bartlet on the lost crew in Indiana: "If Donna wasn't with them, they'd have to buy a house."
Old 09-26-02, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Drama - Wow
Comedy - Wow
Storyline - Wow
Script - Wow
Acting - Wow

Yes there were a number of spots that I didn't like but how can I complain?

This is by FAR the best TV going!

Yes at times it seemed like West Wing on crack or a Planes Trains and Automobiles parody but overall I'm so pleased it's back and they seem to be on the right track.
Old 09-26-02, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The scene where Josh and Toby realize they're in a different time zone had me
Old 09-26-02, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Robert
Donna: "they're going to need a minute"

I was waiting for a State Trooper to drive by and arrest Toby for whacking the rail with that big stick.
Old 09-26-02, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 602 Likes on 486 Posts
Originally posted by Robert

Yep - only in Indiana.
Old 09-26-02, 01:52 PM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 574 Likes on 333 Posts
I loved when Josh and Toby were getting on the train and Toby told the kid he could call him "Toby", but then had to add "I work at the White House". The kids response was classic: "You know, you wouldn't seem like such a geek if you let people find that out for themselves."
Old 09-26-02, 02:00 PM

Like everyone said, great episode all around. Lilly Tomlin's character was great and I loved the line about "the cape and tights."

While I agree that the whole Mallory thing could be seen as an exit strategy, I also see it as something that could keep Sam, or more importantly, Rob on the show. His character has been kind of ignored, and maybe, by giving him a new love interest, and actually following up on it, they can get Rob to stay.

Does anyone know if he's 100% gone? I hope not. I like his character too much.
Old 09-26-02, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by SiberianLlama
While I agree that the whole Mallory thing could be seen as an exit strategy, I also see it as something that could keep Sam, or more importantly, Rob on the show. His character has been kind of ignored, and maybe, by giving him a new love interest, and actually following up on it, they can get Rob to stay.
Rob Lowe is leaving because of a salary dispute, not because of what they do (or don't do) with his character. They could feature him in every shot and rename it "Rob Lowe's The West Wing" and it wouldn't make any difference. The man wants to get paid.

But, there's still the possibility that a deal can be worked out:

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp..._nm/westwing_1
Old 09-26-02, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

That article was a full month ago, and I think they would have announced any deal. With plans being made and scripts being written, I would guess that it doesn't look good at this point.
Old 09-26-02, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Also, John Spencer said on E! the other day that the way they designed Rob's exit on the show leaves it very open for him to make a comeback if ever he decides to.
Old 09-26-02, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

i hope that he comes to his senses and decides to stay. he and josh play off each other so well. even though i know that the show could easily survive without him, it still wouldn't be the same.
Old 09-26-02, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by SiberianLlama

Does anyone know if he's 100% gone? I hope not. I like his character too much.
It all depends on who you believe.

I've seen video of AS saying he hopes that RL stays but that could just be to come off as the good guy.

It may be too late but I hope he stays and I hope they do something with his character.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.