DVD Talk
is it worth it to buy a console for just one game? (please no console bashing) [Archive] - DVD Talk Forum

Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : is it worth it to buy a console for just one game? (please no console bashing)

qbert
09-24-02, 05:22 PM
i went to the mall today and was about to pick up a gamecube for animal crossing.

$150 for gamcube
$15 for memory card
$50 for animal crossing
total: $215

this is if i skimp 25 bux on another controller.

i would've done it - but i'm not sure if there's a game out there for gamecube or on the horizon that i would want. i have no interest in super mario, the new zelda or metroid. all the games i would buy are on the ps2 already.

same goes for xbox. i've wanted to get it for halo - but that's about it. again, all the games i would want are already on ps2.

what to do?

would you buy a console for one game, perhaps knowing that you may not buy another game for it for awhile?

any all advice would be good - thanks in advance :)

Aghama
09-24-02, 05:25 PM
No.

evanmd
09-24-02, 05:27 PM
Animal Crossing already comes with a memory card so you don't need to buy one. If you really like the game, and have the money to buy it, sure why not? And if you go to CostCo you can get animal crossing for $43.99

jeffdsmith
09-24-02, 05:29 PM
I would go with a yes. While many people will not give the game as much credit today, Mario 64 was worth purchising the N64 for. Thankfully I enjoyed many titles after that as well, but Mario 64 was that revolutionary.

I have yet to play AC, so I can't comment on it's merits directly.

SmackDaddy
09-24-02, 05:31 PM
Nope. At least not a new one. I'd pick up a used GC or PS2 ( I already have an Xbox and DC) if there was a game I just HAD to have, although I almost got a GC at launch for SW Rogue Leader. But I saw nothing of interest (for me) on the horizon for the GC.

I bought my Xbox for Halo and the future Sega releases. My DC I bought because of my love for all things Sega! Even though Sega is putting out quality titles for the X, GC and PS2, Panzer, Shenmue and Toe Jam are all Xbox exclusives.

Anyway, $200+ is quite a chunk of change for just 1 game, at least for me it is..

Thrillhouse
09-24-02, 05:34 PM
No. Do you have a PS2?

Jeremy517
09-24-02, 05:36 PM
Not until it gets cheap, like say Dreamcast is now.

Also like evanmd said, AC comes with a memory card, so you can save a little if you do decide to do it.

Aghama
09-24-02, 05:39 PM
Animal Crossing uses up the entire memory card, so I don't think that's really a valid point.

zig
09-24-02, 05:51 PM
Well if he's only getting one game he only needs one memory card :)

But.. if AC was the only game I wanted to play on the GC.. no.. I don't think I'd have bought it. I don't have all that much disposable income, so there'd have to be at least 4 or 5 games that interest me greatly on a console before I consider it. I guess it depends on how much money you've got to throw around :p

jeffdsmith
09-24-02, 05:52 PM
Originally posted by Aghama
Animal Crossing uses up the entire memory card, so I don't think that's really a valid point.

But he's buying the GC for just that game... I think they have mentioned it because he may not have known it came with one.

Aghama
09-24-02, 05:54 PM
Oh yeah, it's in his original total. Dip. I think I need to stop working now.

finbogg
09-24-02, 06:05 PM
I'm wrestling with this one for when GTA:Vice City comes out. Granted, there's more than one PS2 game I'd like to play, but most of them come out for other systems. I keep talking myself out of it when I phrase it this way:

"Do I really want to spend over $200 for a game?" I do, but I can't

Feneant
09-24-02, 06:21 PM
Not unless the game had a few thousand hours worth of play, or if you can resell the package to basically recoup most of the money excluding the cost of the game... then it might be worth it.

Y2K Falcon
09-24-02, 06:26 PM
Well, I'm sitting here thinking...

I could pick up Animal Crossings for my girlfriend's son's GC, and I'm sure all three of us will enjoy it... or just use that $50 as 1/5 what I need to finally play GTA3.

lostatmidnight
09-24-02, 06:37 PM
hmm...I was sort of in this prediciment a few months ago...
I saw all the commericals for GTAIII, so I went over to my best friend's house and borrowed his PS2, rented the game and knew it was the greatest thing since...hell, I dunno, but I hadn't owned a new video game system since a NES--when the thing came out! Did I buy much after that? Not really. Not being much of a video gamer player, but I picked up Madden 2003, EA Sports Rugby and Metal Gear along the way. The last two I bought used very cheap so I haven't invest much money...Of course Vice City is my next purchase....Again, depends how badly you think you will need it...

Anjanettea
09-24-02, 06:37 PM
I usually purchase system based on a particular game. It's usually for a baseball or wrestling game though.

Keyser Soze
09-24-02, 06:40 PM
I did the exact same thing for HALO... got it used.

Don't kid yourself though... once you have the unit, you'll probably end up buying some more games to try out on it.

If you do get a cube... Resident Evil is a really good game.

-k
###

Thrillhouse
09-24-02, 06:54 PM
Originally posted by finbogg
I'm wrestling with this one for when GTA:Vice City comes out. Granted, there's more than one PS2 game I'd like to play, but most of them come out for other systems. I keep talking myself out of it when I phrase it this way:

"Do I really want to spend over $200 for a game?" I do, but I can't

Well not only can you get Vice city but also GTA3 and The Getaway for other great mob related titles.

qbert
09-24-02, 07:10 PM
thanks for all the awesome replies -

the used option was something i never really thought of. as for the memory card - another thing i missed :p

i tried to go rent it today, only to find that blockbuster doesn't rent out the gamecube anymore. makes it kinda tough to try out esp. since none of my friends have the gc as well.

i have the ps2 now. i know there are good games i play in addition to those which i am looking fwd to getting. i guess i just don't see that right now for gc. keys - you're right i gues once i have it i'll look fwd to more games. i'm just worried that say they're only three games or so.

jw2299
09-24-02, 07:19 PM
if it is worth it to you, then it is worth it. Case closed. :)

Cyberock
09-24-02, 07:47 PM
The way I justify the purchase of a console for one game is to think if I was going to buy an actual arcade machine, how much would I have to spend for that. In other words one game may be worth over a thousand dollars to you if you had to buy the actual arcade machine instead. Chances are, there will be another game you will want someday for the console too. If they can make one that'll interest you, there will be more.

karnblack
09-24-02, 07:48 PM
It depends on the game. The way I see it...compare it to other forms of entertainment. For example, a 2 hour movie at a local theater is about $8 (not including concessions). That works out to about $4 per hour of entertainment. So, take the $200 for the system and the game, input that into our formula and what do you get? You have to play the game for 50 hours to equal the entertainment value of a 2 hour movie at a local theater.

I like to rationalize my habits this way. For me, my Xbox was worth it just for Morrowind. I've played Morrowind so much that my entertainment value has dropped to below $0.25 per hour. Every time I buy a new game for $50 I just have to play it for 12.5 hours to equal the entertainment value of a 2 hour movie at a local theater.

Other factors to keep in mind is the quality of the game. There are some games that are worth buying a system for, and there are many games that are not. After you get the hang of comparing your purchases to movies you can try comparing them to DVDs or CDs or Concerts or any other type of entertainment you choose.

Just remember that in the end it all depends on the game.

TaTTooD
09-24-02, 08:02 PM
i did when GTA3 came out. $300 for ps2, $50 for game, $40 for memory card. granted its the only reason youre buying it at the time but once you have the system it opens up your chances to rent/buy other games you never really would have if you didnt have the system. i have no regrets of my original purchase :D

Get Me Coffee
09-24-02, 10:21 PM
Well I just bought a XBOX just for HALO! But I also bought it for XBOX LIVE! Nintendo just isn't putting any effort in pushing online gaming.

Scheherazade
09-24-02, 10:28 PM
I think it's worth it. I've bought two consoles for just one game in the last couple months and don't regret my purchases. I got an Xbox for Buffy and got a GameCube for Animal Crossing. There are already more games coming that I want for each and I'm about to buy a GBA for Animal Crossing, Metroid, and Castlevania. It was all worth it to me, and now I don't have to whine about games I can't get, I can get em all :)

And if I didn't already have a PS2, I woulda bought it for Kingdom Hearts.

BTW, on the extra controller issue... you can buy the GameCube at KB Toys and you get a free 3rd party controller, though it feels rather cheap. Comes with a carrying case and RF switch too in case you need that, but doubt ya do :) I think Animal Crossing is defenitely worth my GameCube purchase alone... Godzilla is another good game to look forward to.

~Scheherazade

Lastblade
09-24-02, 10:51 PM
I used to think so.... but I always end up finding some other games on any given system so in the end it justify the means... The system that comes to my mind is the N64, I bought the system for Waverace and now I have about 20 games that I really enjoy.

I am going to get an Xbox for Steel Battlion. I don't really care if there is no other game I like, but heck I love Sega games so I am sure I will find SOMETHING :D

Josh H
09-25-02, 12:23 AM
Unless one has more money that they know what to do with, I just could't see why someone would buy a system for just one game.

Personally, $199 is the most I'm willing to pay for a console, and I'm only willing to pay that if there are several games I'm interested in on the system that will enable me to enjoy it for the consoles 5 year life span.

If Animal Crossing is all that interests you, wait a while and see if some other games are announced that interest. If that happens you'll have more of a reason to buy the system, and after all, Animal Crossing will still be available.

Richard Cranium
09-25-02, 12:32 AM
I bought the PS2 for WInning Eleven/Pro Evo Soccer

best gaming choice I ever made

Cuman
09-25-02, 04:06 AM
ummm, i would have to say no, not for only one game.....no game i can think of, at least for me, would justify me spending x numbers of dollars in order to own the system and said game. The closest I would get is three....mario, zelda and metroid....i finally cracked when mario came out......just waiting for zelda and metroid.

dek
09-25-02, 04:19 AM
Nope. Bought a GC for Rogue Leader 2, played it, waited waited, no new games that even remotely interested me, sold it on Ebay.

alexkat
09-25-02, 11:20 AM
Depends on the game. I initially bought the GC because of Phantasy Star Online. At that time it was only headed to the GC and was to be released in Q2 2002. Had I known that it was going to be on Xbox and I could've been playing Halo all this time :(. Anyways this is how much I've spent on one game:

Gamecube +$200
Modification to play Japanese games +$ 25
PSO Trial/Modem/Full Edition +shipping +$150
PSO Full Game/Modem/Keyboard + $170
Sold PSO Full Game - $ 50
Extra Memory Card +$ 15

Playing PSO...priceless. I bought the game twice because I had a buyer lined up to buy the extra game and modem, but then he bailed on the modem and now I'm stuck with an extra. Luckily my wife loves this game as much as I do so I never have to feel bad about the costs. This is the first time I've actually looked at the totals, I've been scared to see how much I've really spent just for this game. I just enjoy playing this game though and this time I can play with my wife offline. Together we've put about 100 hours in this game in only a week. Even though I was interested in games like Mario Party, Mario Kart and other Nintendo games, I mainly got the GC for this. And I was laughing at those who were going to buy Steel Battallion, doh!

Gromit
09-25-02, 05:35 PM
Hard to say. I bought the Xbox pretty much just for Halo. Actually, I just haven't found any games I really like other than Halo. I don't think I've gotten $200 out of the system, but I don't really look at it as "I just paid $250 for Halo".

El-Kabong
09-25-02, 05:46 PM
I'd say - well, depends on the game. I'm thinking very hard about getting an X-Box for Shenmue 2 - that game rocks - but there is the promise of other games in the future that I'd be getting. Knights of the Old Republic, for one.

Mantecore
09-25-02, 06:47 PM
YES, i plan to do the same thing, i want an XBOX for just lord of the rings, and buffy the vampire slayer and Halo 2, only games that i really like and im willing to buy one especially with the price dropping soon!

squidget
09-25-02, 08:16 PM
all my console purchases seem to be for one game. But i love to play video games and i knew there would be another game that would come out/or already out that I would want to play on that system. The only one I held off on was my ps2. only one game got my fancy (onimusha) around that time and price was hefty. I'm glad i waited (got used one in the trade forum) and there more games i wanted to play (gta3, ico, devil may cry)
if you can't handle the price of console to one game. I would buy a used one and save a few bucks

Shawn
09-25-02, 08:55 PM
Originally posted by Mantecore
and im willing to buy one especially with the price dropping soon!
:confused:

Captain Harlock
09-25-02, 08:57 PM
I haven't been swayed by one game in particular. However when I was deciding whether to go with PSX or N64 a few years ago, I was so blown away by Resident Evil 2 that it made my decision alot easier. At the time N64 had alot of games that appealed to young children. I was most impressed with the PSX's library for older gamers. So it was more the overall selection of games that did it. When it came time to decide between PS2, X-Box and Gamecube, the same decision making process applied. The PS2 had more of the type of games that I wanted to play.

I hope that made sense
:whofart:

Stoolie
09-26-02, 08:49 AM
If I have the money (which I did at some point obviously), then it's worth it to me to buy a system for one game. I bought a Gamecube to get back into gaming and because Mario Kart will be on it eventually (I think). In the meantime, SSB:M and SMB have been pleasant surprises. Actually, I would say that my friends and I have gotten $199 worth of pleasure out of SMB.

I bought a PS2 so I wouldn't miss the Final Fantasy series. Embarassingly enough, I haven't even finished FFX because of GTA3 and Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance. BG:DA is my favorite kind of game, where you can play with a friend simultaneously and cooperatively. I won't even mention Hot Shots Golf 3. So again, having bought the system for one game (series), I have been distracted by all the other great games.

X-Box was an impulse purchase based on the Oddworld series alone. Having loved the first two, and reading that Oddworld has gone Xbox exclusive, I went out and bought one at lunch one day. I also picked up a little game called Halo since everyone said it was pretty good. Well, Halo is the one game I can say that is worth the price of the console. The story is a little bit of a Frankenstein of other sci-fi material, but the overall experience was unbelievable. Turns out Oddworld is a great game too (3D Abe!). I also have enjoyed Morrowind, though I simply don't have time to do it all.

Anyway, the point comes down to the money. If you have the money to buy a console and only one game, then I say go for it. There's a good chance other games will appeal to you and in a couple years you will have bought the console for several games.

Sorry if I repeated anything anyone else said.

stoolie

Lethal Nemesis
09-26-02, 06:44 PM
Unless you really, REALLY want to play a game, then I would personally either wait until everything gets cheaper or you head over to a friend who has it. But for a game like Animal Crossing, which is basically never-ending (correct me if I'm wrong), then I suppose that would be OK. It's one of those long, "epic" games, with lots of replay.

For example, if I didn't have a PS2 but I wanted to play MGS2, I would just rent it and go to my friend's house. But I would buy a PS2 solely for something like, say... SOCOM (online). :D

Chris_D
09-26-02, 07:22 PM
I think most people who buy a console initially have one particular game in mind (Mario 64, Final Fantasy 7, Soul Calibur, GT3, GTA3, Halo, SMS, SMB) but then almost certainly would purchase a few of the other quality games that come out (every console inc the saturn has had more than a handful of good games to choose from).

So I would say that there is absolutely no problem with buying a console initially for just 1 game.

Chris

Kumar J
09-26-02, 09:32 PM
Got X-box just because of Halo and Silent Hill.And waiting for new games.....like Halo 2

qbert
09-27-02, 03:32 PM
Originally posted by Kumar J
Got X-box just because of Halo and Silent Hill.And waiting for new games.....like Halo 2
:lol:

good point.

with the $50 rebate offer eb is having i think i'm gonna walk on down there and pick up a gc. see the rest of you guys in the animal crossing thread :D

Groucho
09-28-02, 01:44 AM
Amazing. When I first heard of Animal Crossing, it was an obscure Japanese game called "Animal Forest" for the N64. I read about it and all the articles said "No way is this EVER coming out in the U.S.A." I admit that I laughed off the game..."even if it does come out here no way am I buying it!"

Flash forward to 2002. Animal Crossing is now selling consoles. I have the game and I love it. It's the first video game that my wife plays as much as me (if not more so).

Hope it's worth it qbert.

tygloalex
09-28-02, 02:02 AM
You should buy a N64 for Superman 64!

thegame370
09-28-02, 03:10 AM
I hear what your saying man. Im kinda on the same boat. Im thinking of picking up a Gamecube myself for the Resident Evil games. Im such a huge fan of the series, prt. 2 is one of my fav. games ever, and like many i was deeply crushed when i heard it was a GC exclusive. How can such a mature title go to such a kiddy, happy friendly system still boggles me. So ive been thinking lately, should i cave and buy a GC or put up the fight and hope for some ports over to the PS2 later on, the system it shoulf of been obviously. But hope is running thin so i might be picking it up soon. Atleast i figure ill use the GC for the RE series and ill buy my GF the other games like Mario Sunshine, Animal Crossing, etc.

gcribbs
09-28-02, 03:30 AM
If I knew i would never play another game on it no.

However each game system have more than one game on it so the odds are that if you look at the games you will find a console/consoles that have a few games that are of interest. One game might tip the balance, but one game by itself is not enough.

TheAllPurposeNothing
09-28-02, 08:37 AM
I've been wrestling with the same question over the Gamecube and Super Monkey Ball.

Of all of the consoles, this is the type of game I go nuts for. But having bought my son an Xbox already this year, I have trouble justifying the expense.

I may buy the Gameboy Advance, however, when Super Monkey Ball Jr. comes out. The kids would love the Gameboy Advance, and I can sneak a few games of SMB Jr. while they sleep.

stingo
09-28-02, 09:04 AM
That's how I buy my systems - if there's a game I REALLY want for it I will get the system - Soul Calibur was the system seller for the DC, Final Fantasy for the PS2 - will be Morrowind for the Xbox and Rogue Leader for the GC... Played the heck out of both SC and FF - so it's worth it for me. YMMV

Groucho
09-28-02, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by thegame370
How can such a mature title go to such a kiddy, happy friendly system still boggles me.That's the point. The Gamecube isn't just a kiddy system (and to call it one borders on console bashing, a big no-no in this forum). It certainly skews to a younger audience than the other consoles, but there's a little something for everyone. Nintendo getting the Resident Evil games was a conscious choice to show that they've come a long way since the Mortal Combat debacle on SNES last century.

Trigger
09-28-02, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by Groucho
That's the point. The Gamecube isn't just a kiddy system (and to call it one borders on console bashing, a big no-no in this forum). It certainly skews to a younger audience than the other consoles, but there's a little something for everyone.
It's pretty common outside of this forum for people to think that way - it's like the people on this forum are just extra sensitive about it. I mean, I understand why we can't say that here, but that doesn't mean I don't think it's silly to not be able to just state our opinions. (wow - that was alot of negatives. :))
Originally posted by Groucho
Nintendo getting the Resident Evil games was a conscious choice to show that they've come a long way since the Mortal Combat debacle on SNES last century. You make it sound like such a long time ago. :lol:

darkessenz
09-30-02, 02:20 PM
I hear what your saying man. Im kinda on the same boat. Im thinking of picking up a Gamecube myself for the Resident Evil games. Im such a huge fan of the series, prt. 2 is one of my fav. games ever, and like many i was deeply crushed when i heard it was a GC exclusive. How can such a mature title go to such a kiddy, happy friendly system still boggles me. So ive been thinking lately, should i cave and buy a GC or put up the fight and hope for some ports over to the PS2 later on, the system it shoulf of been obviously. But hope is running thin so i might be picking it up soon. Atleast i figure ill use the GC for the RE series and ill buy my GF the other games like Mario Sunshine, Animal Crossing, etc.

God I am having the exact same problem. I can't NOT play RE0 and REoriginal, but at the same time Tekken 4, FFX, and GTA3 all beckon me towards a playstation.

I will probably end getting GC solely for the following three games

RE0
RERemake
RE4

All of which look to be kickass.

Jason Reynolds
10-01-02, 10:31 AM
I think it's fine to buy a console for one game. I bough the GC for the Resident Evil games as well.

I bought an X-Box for Buffy.

-Jason