Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

What's the deal with Salo?

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-02, 04:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's been about a year since I was a regular here at dvdtalk.com, but I was at a store here today in Amsterdam and saw Salo on sale here. I remember that this title was a big item here last year and wondered if I should pick this title up, or has it been rereleased and is easily available. This version is R2 from MGM and was 32 euros? Has this title become available in the US? Also thinking about picking up the Back to the Future set here since it's DTS and also Ali G InDaHouse since that's also DTS here. What do you think???
Old 09-24-02, 04:58 PM

you can find the r2 dvd of salo online for about 25 euros... the bttf trilogy DTS is a bargain for 30 euros in most shops...
Old 09-25-02, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

MGM? Really? The British Film Institute released their own version a little over a year ago, and MGM has been rumored to be planning their own R1 release.
Old 09-25-02, 04:15 PM

MGM? Really? The British Film Institute released their own version a little over a year ago, and MGM has been rumored to be planning their own R1 release.
The BFI edition was licensed to them by MGM. The MGM logo is on the packaging along with the BFI logo.

Jeff
Old 09-25-02, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

...and in October the French will be getting a two-disc limited, numbered Collector's Edition released by Gaumont/Columbia/Tristar - without English subtitles, natch...

...also a limited, numbered CE of The Trilogy Of Life - anamorphic transfers, natch...

. . . . . .

Last edited by Hendrik; 09-25-02 at 10:03 PM.
Old 09-26-02, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Thanks for the info, Hendrik. I am disheartened at the continuing neglect the French are showing of English-speaking viewers, though, especially considering that this SE of "Salò" sounds great in every other respect. And it has this beautiful cover art as well:

Anyway, what stuck out on the site you posted the link to was the notation about two versions of the film, "the official version" and "the Italian version". What's the difference between the two, despite the dubbing of the "official version" into French? Is the "Italian version" some long-lost integral cut of the film that features more rape, sh*t-eating and mutilation... eh, I mean a stronger, more poignant critique the corrupting powers of fascism?
Old 09-26-02, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

...frankly, I have no idea... however, I suspect the only difference between the "official" and non-official versions is the language dub (note that the "official" version of "The Canterbury Tales" is in English...!...)

. . . . . .
Old 02-14-03, 03:40 AM
Banned

as tyler says...

well, the most complete version available today would be the bfi edizzione, so...
unless the french has a rat sewn into a chick's vaginal cavity, i'll be largely unimpressed...for what good is a print if it doesn't act as though it is a print?
bfi has the most complete print available.
tell me there's a trailer....then i'll be impressed.
or an encyclopedic documentation of pasolini's woks...
then i'll upgrade...
big transfer?
big deal...these images defy accurate representation.
give us history, give us lore....give us what collectors long for....
Old 02-14-03, 06:19 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

...whatever...

. . . . . .
Old 02-14-03, 08:48 AM

The French edition is the one to get, if you have some French-speaking/reading skills. The picture is amazing, and also included is a documentary about Pasolini (which includes making-of footage of the final massacre sequence and interview footage with Pasolini), and another piece with French directors called "Children of Salo" that includes Catherine Breillat and Gaspar Noe. It even includes a trailer, if I remember correctly.

or an encyclopedic documentation of pasolini's woks...
There is however, nothing about Pasolini's cooking equipment though...
Old 02-14-03, 03:51 PM

give us history, give us lore....give us what collectors long for....
We've got spirit, yes we do. We've got spirit, how 'bout you?