Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Nintendo Officially Sells Rare!

Cyberock
09-20-02, 06:07 PM
Well, Nintendo is out but still no work on Microsoft

http://www.game2extreme.com/news/article.cfm?language=3&articleid=682

Tamrok
09-20-02, 06:15 PM
Here's the word on Microsoft from CNN:

Microsoft buys game developer Rare

Nintendo keeps Donkey Kong, but other big franchises are headed to Xbox.
September 20, 2002: 5:12 PM EDT
By Staff Writer Chris Morris

NEW YORK (CNN/Money) - Microsoft has upped the stakes in the console war, buying a development house that had previously made games exclusively for Nintendo.

Nintendo will retain exclusive rights for most original properties and franchises featured in games developed by Rare, including Donkey Kong, Diddy Kong and Star Fox. Rare, though, will retain rights to the characters it created independently, including the "Perfect Dark," "Conker" and "Banjo-Kazooie" franchises. "Perfect Dark" sold more than 1 million copies (earning more than $55 million), and will likely make its way to the Xbox. Banjo-Kazooie and Conker games are also likely.

http://money.cnn.com/2002/09/20/news/deals/rare/index.htm

Aghama
09-20-02, 07:10 PM
Is this official official official, or just official official?

Souljahh
09-20-02, 07:14 PM
Interesting.

goLUCKY
09-20-02, 07:22 PM
Originally posted by Souljahh
Interesting.

Very interesting!

gcribbs
09-20-02, 07:41 PM
so MS did not get Donkey Kong or all the other exclusives that Nintendo helped develop. Sounds like Nintendo got a bargain by not having to give up much and getting a bunch of cash.

Now MS will have to figure out how to get Rare to actually release some games :)

Flay
09-20-02, 08:56 PM
Perfect Dark and Conker was all I wanted to come out. I didn't care what system.

Of course, the Gamecube just became less attractive for me. As it stands now, the only games I want are Metroid, Die Hard, RE0, and RE4.

darkside
09-20-02, 09:53 PM
Perfect Dark is the one I will look forward to. I'm interested in seeing how this will turn out. Hopefully it will be out in 2003.

RVP
09-21-02, 02:49 PM
I can't wait for perfect Dark Xbox. Hopefully Rare can put out games faster on the Xbox platform.

BTW i am starting to think that the Gamecube (which I own) is starting to be like N64 all over again, with a very small library of decent titles.That get pushed back, and take forever to come out.

Mezzanine
09-21-02, 05:38 PM
As much as I like Nintendo, I think they made a big mistake by letting Rare go. I'm now much more likely to buy an Xbox than I was before. (Although I'll probably wait until 1 or 2 Rare games are out before I buy the system).

Now that Microsoft owns Rare, I would imagine Microsoft will get a chunk of the profits from Star Fox Adventures on GameCube. An interesting thought...

zig
09-21-02, 05:56 PM
Dunno.. do you think Nintendo would let them go just because they weren't making a lot of money on a dying system(1.5% in 2002, when they didn't even have any new games out)? Maybe they know something we don't.. I don't think they'd dump them just because of one bad year.. maybe they would though. Or maybe they just felt it was time for them to move on and invest in other companies. Maybe they have the "next Rare" lined up.. (Retro? Silicon Knights? someone else?)

But, losing the franchises will be a bad thing for GC sales.

djones6746
09-21-02, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by Mezzanine
As much as I like Nintendo, I think they made a big mistake by letting Rare go. I'm now much more likely to buy an Xbox than I was before. (Although I'll probably wait until 1 or 2 Rare games are out before I buy the system).

Now that Microsoft owns Rare, I would imagine Microsoft will get a chunk of the profits from Star Fox Adventures on GameCube. An interesting thought...

I agree...if I did not want to play the upcoming RE games, I would sell my Gamecube. There it sits on the shelf as did the N64......

Deftones
09-21-02, 09:23 PM
Originally posted by Mezzanine

They won't. Nintendo fully owns all of the Starfox licenses. Part of the agreement was that the "joint" projects that Rare did for Nintendo, i.e. Perfect Dark are not "fully" owned by Rare or Microsoft.

zig
09-21-02, 09:28 PM
Originally posted by Deftones17
They won't. Nintendo fully owns all of the Starfox licenses. Part of the agreement was that the "joint" projects that Rare did for Nintendo, i.e. Perfect Dark are not "fully" owned by Rare or Microsoft.

yes but.. Rare will still make money from the sales of SFA. If Rare is making money, MS is making money. :)