Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Battle Royale Limited Edition Tin - Is it worth it?

International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Old 09-19-02, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have not seen Battle Royale but have heard it is a good movie. But is the Limited Edition SE Tin worth $45? I am planning to buy this movie but am deliberating whether to get this set or the cheaper R2 DVD which does not have the special features. Please lend me your thoughts.
Old 09-19-02, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
I don't know if were talking about the same edition, but I pre-ordered a two disc set from Amazon UK for $18.65 including shipping about 2 months ago. I don't recall if it is a tin case, though. It is coming out next week. It was a price mistake and I couldn't pass it up. I think $37 was the real price.
Old 09-19-02, 10:23 PM

i am not sure which one is available in a 'tin' but if you are talking about the r2 japanese version, it doesnt have english subs.
Old 09-19-02, 10:42 PM

not the tin, but did anyone get the korean version that was due last week? (extended version, with english subs) ? wondering how it ended up being...

skokefoe.
Old 09-19-02, 10:47 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

lol, no Battle Royale is not worth more than $5. dont waster your money especially if you havent seen it
Old 09-19-02, 10:50 PM

Originally posted by DeepRedInferno
i am not sure which one is available in a 'tin' but if you are talking about the r2 japanese version, it doesnt have english subs.
I think he's talking about the "new" Tartan release due on
the 23rd of this month.

For those lucky enough,there was a misprice of £8.84 that
Amazon is honoring

Here are the specs:

DISC 1:
Features 8 mins extra footage and contains an alternate ending
Anamorphic 1.85:1 presentation / Dolby Digital 5.1 audio / Optional English Subtitles

DISC 2:
Special Edition TV Spot (0'30") Special Edition TV Spot: featuring Quentin Tarantino (0'30") The Making of Battle Royale (50'19") Battle Royale Press Conference (9'30") Instructional Video: Birthday Version (3'07") Audition and Rehearsal Footage (7'08") Special Effects Comparison Featurette (4' 30") Tokyo International Film Festival 2000 (4'25") Battle Royale Documentary (12'07") Basketball Scene Rehearsals (8'38") Behind-the-Scenes Featurette (10'07") Filming On-Set (10'59") Original Theatrical Trailer (1'48") Director's Statement (text pages) Kinji Fukasaku Filmography (text pages) 'Beat' Takeshi Filmography (text pages)

indycohiba, you might want to pick up the REG 3 disc on the cheap
before investing on the so-called special edition as Tartan has
dropped the ball on this release and others before.

I personally love the film and at £8.84 i couldn't pass it up but
i would have waited for reviews or a sale on tartan disc before
investing £29.99(i'm sure you could get it cheaper).

Old 09-20-02, 11:38 AM

BR rox! i SO wanna pick up this tin but am low(VERY!) on cash these days, what's the cheapest place ta get it frm(u guys got some SWEET deals!)?
Old 09-20-02, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Battle Royale Limited Edition Tin - Is it worth it?

Originally posted by indycohiba
I have not seen Battle Royale but have heard it is a good movie. But is the Limited Edition SE Tin worth $45? I am planning to buy this movie but am deliberating whether to get this set or the cheaper R2 DVD which does not have the special features. Please lend me your thoughts.
I think you mean

either the UK NTSC DVD (Tartan) or the UK PAL TIN DVD (Tartan). The official NTSC DVD is fantastic (not the HK or bootleg crap, which are horrendous).

I have a few NTSC for trade, and the Tin is coming from Amazon. Hope to be able to do a good comparison shortly. If the flagging is still screwy (as with almost all Tartan PAL DVDs played on Malata Players), then I'll probably keep both!
Old 09-20-02, 06:35 PM

There is also a Korean 2-Disc BR set coming out with similar features. It might even be R0 although it is listed as R3. We have the Tartan PAL 2-Disc for $37 I think. Who's selling it for $45?

Regards,
Jeff
HKFLIX.com
Old 09-20-02, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If the Korean turns out to be R0-NTSC then I wouldn't even bother with the Tartan R0/2-PAL tin.
Old 09-20-02, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by HKFLIXdotcom
There is also a Korean 2-Disc BR set coming out with similar features. It might even be R0 although it is listed as R3. We have the Tartan PAL 2-Disc for $37 I think. Who's selling it for $45?
I was just doing a conversion from British Pounds based on the price at Bensons World. They have it listed at £26.95.

Battle Royale (Subtitled) (Special Edition) (DVD And Two Collector`s Cards) (Two Discs) (DVD) - Released on 23 Sep 2002
Old 09-20-02, 11:16 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
what's the street date for the Korean 2-Disc edition of "Battle Royale"? Price?
Old 09-21-02, 03:09 AM

korean 2-disc came out last week....
it goes around $20 (excl.shipping)

Sub : Korean, English (removable)
Ratio : Anamorphic Widescreen 1.85:1
Running Time : 122 min. (Director's cut)
Audio : Dolby Digital 5.1, Dolby Digital 2.0
Region : 3
Company : Cream
Special Features : The First Term(The book was published - Audition - Shooting), The Second Term(Crank Up - Marketing - Release), The Third Term(Filming a Special Edition - Finished - Special Edition Release)

Old 09-21-02, 03:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Hello Jeff, I would just like to ask you again to carry Japanese DVDs. If you can sell cheaper than amotokyo, I would use you exclusively. They're where I got my Japanese Battle Royale special edition with most if not all of the same features I think, except it's one disc.
Old 09-21-02, 10:44 PM

I just checked with amazon.co.uk,and my very cheap Battle Royale tin is being prepared for dispatch!Thanks jonothan e for yet another great bargain...I love dvdtalk!...my collection is full of criminally cheap(and good quality) dvds I never would have known about if it wasn't for y'all.Woop Woop!
Old 09-22-02, 02:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Mine was shipped yesterday. So, I guess all that got in the wonderful misprice don't have much longer to wait!
Old 09-22-02, 02:56 AM

Crazy Aoshi: I apologize, but if we carried Japanese DVDs, we won't be competitive with the stores in Japan. So far, Japanese suppliers have been unyielding on price despite our buying power. They refuse to give decent discounts even if we take 100 copies of a single title. Normally, we are able to negotiate good discounts if we take several thousand pieces. This is how we are able to bring you deals like our current Crash Cinema promotion. Generally we don't deal with suppliers unless we see good potential for future promotions with their product. We will look into carrying some of the popular Japanese titles if we can get a good price. In the meantime, if you don't want to shop at stores in Japan, I notice that Poker and Aznfilms now carry Japanese DVDs.

As for the Korean Battle Royale, as soon as we get them in, we'll check to see if it is R3 or all code and less you all know.

Regards,
Jeff
HKFLIX.com
Old 09-22-02, 04:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

They're both more expensive that amotokyo. Oh well, thanks anyway. I just thought it would be cool to find a good R2 hook up in Ameirca like "A Little Light" in Ward Warehouse, before they went out of business.
Old 09-28-02, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
I got mine in the mail today.

It's a clear amaray case inside a hinged tin that's only slightly larger than an amaray case. It came with a card with a hand-cut frame of film from a theatrical print. It's region 0 so it'll play in an Xbox for anyone who doesn't have a region free player. I'll watch it and give my impressions.
Old 09-28-02, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Thanks, I will look forward to your feedback!
Old 09-28-02, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Trigger
I'll watch it and give my impressions.
Please do...
Old 09-28-02, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by benjsimpson
Thanks jonothan e for yet another great bargain...I love dvdtalk!

Glad to help out.

Got my set this week for small change and was blown away by the movie (1st timer here) and the quality of the transfer. I’d normally run a mile to avoid a Tartan disc but couldn’t resist this at the price. Not had a chance to examine the extras yet but anyone looking for the best quality transfer would be hard pressed to find better than this.
Old 09-30-02, 05:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Watched it. It's great.

The extra footage is plentiful and some of it helps to round out the characters and some is just more graphic violence and gore. Both versions of the film are great and while the extra scenes aren't crucial, they're a welcome addition to a great film.

The second disc contains alot of behind the scenes stuff... I hope you like the 'Happy Birthday' song...

Overall, the tin was worth the purchase for me. It was cheap though since I got in on that bargain price. If you haven't seen the film and don't know which version to get - I don't know how to help make that decision for you because both versions of the movie are perfect. I guess if you twisted my arm, I'd lean towards the shorter version just because it's tighter and gets right to it. I like the longer version, but I can see a fan of the movie getting put off by the expository scenes. The scenes felt like they were always there to begin with, but I can see how someone who is used to the shorter version might argue that they seem a bit out of place. It's all a matter of taste. I guess I would suggest to get both versions.
Old 09-30-02, 06:24 AM

Does anyone know if this we'll eventually be released as a normal SE after the LE suppy of tins run out?
Old 09-30-02, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

lord john - looks like the Korean release is maybe the same Special Edition of the film.

What's the verdict on the Korean version? Anyone?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.