Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Haunted and The New Twilight Zone; Which will UPN cancel first?

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-02, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It just seems like UPN has run out of ideas. Haunted is pretty much a rip off of an old series called "Dead Last" where a cop "sees dead people" and helps him solve crimes. The Twilight Zone, well that's been done over and over again.

I can't see either of these lasting very long. Which will be the first to go?

Old 09-18-02, 08:59 PM

Haunted. The premise is painful. Twilight Zone at least has the cult following. That'll last a few extra episodes...
Old 09-18-02, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I am hoping Haunted lasts, at least until I see the pilot then I might change my mind. The Twilight Zone was ok, but way too predictable. I will probably lose interest in the series or at least use it as a back up season pass. I may be the only one but I enjoyed Dead Last and probably will enjoy Haunted which will mean they cancel it.
Old 09-18-02, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I watched Twilight Zone and really enjoyed the 2nd story , the 1st was ok. Ill stick with it. As there are 3 shows in the 9 PM slot peak my intrest (twilight, fastlane, BOP) 1 of them has to go .

capt
Old 09-18-02, 11:24 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Haunted didn't really attract my attention enough to bother w/ it (I'm trying to limit the number of shows I follow this year ). I have to say I wasn't really pleased w/ the new TZ either, but I'll give it a couple of weeks to see if the stories get better.
Old 09-18-02, 11:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think Tuesday at 9PM is more competitive, so "Haunted" will go first.

Matt
Old 09-18-02, 11:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I watched TNTZ and didn't think much of it. Check out the plots:
(1) A secretive community that frowns on anything troublesome and goes to deadly lengths to protect their way of life; and (2) an affable shlub claims to be a supernatural being and proves it in a very personal way to his biggest skeptic. Those creaky storylines were covered with cobwebs when Rod Serling was still doing the show.

Honk!
Old 09-19-02, 12:35 AM

I love the old Twilight Zones so I will stick with this one till it ends.
Sure the stories have most of the time been told before, but I thought the acting was pretty good tonight.
The first story was given away when they showed the people crying out side. They should have never shown that and just surprised us at the end.
And without giving away spoilers for the people yet to watch I thought the idea with the people coming in the hospital at the end was decent.
Old 09-19-02, 06:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think I preferred Night Visions to the new Twilight Zones, even though I doubt it would happen, it would be cool if Sci Fi picked it up since they are currently rerunning it.
Old 09-19-02, 09:45 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
what annoyed me about the premier of "The Twilight Zone" was the stories didn't really grab me or really impress me. I remember the first show of the mid 80's version of TZ where time stood still, where the episode's protagonist walked around in completely awe only to discover....
Spoiler:
a nuclear bomb hovering 12 feet from the ground
now that was an ending!
Old 09-19-02, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I was very underwhelmed with Twilight Zone last night... if we go on the assumption that they aired the strongest stories for the premiere... well, I don't see this lasting long.
Old 09-19-02, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Giles
what annoyed me about the premier of "The Twilight Zone" was the stories didn't really grab me or really impress me. I remember the first show of the mid 80's version of TZ where time stood still, where the episode's protagonist walked around in completely awe only to discover....
Spoiler:
a nuclear bomb hovering 12 feet from the ground
now that was an ending!
I remember that one vividly. I was
Old 09-19-02, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Professor Frink
I remember that one vividly.
Me too. I think the woman was the same one who played the mother on Christmas Story and Close Encounters (Melinda Dillon). At least, that's who I see in the role when I remember it... it's been a while!
Old 09-19-02, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The only way I see Haunted surviving a ratings nosedive is if UPN refuses to admit that they made a mistake by canceling Roswell. As bad as Roswell's ratings were they could have easily improved them by switching it to the Wednesday 9pm timeslot after Enterprise. Of course that would have made "sense". So in leiu of that logic we got Wolf Lake. |

Do you think if Haunted tanks, this time they'll bring back Cop Rock?
Old 09-19-02, 03:28 PM

Well, I didn't mind the storylines of TNTZ although they were not as unpredictable, I sometimes think we have seen an awful lot since the old series to really be too surprised. We'll see if it picks up at all but I hear Johnathan Frakes is supposed to write some eps for the series. The thing that was annoying to me was Whittaker narrating. He just didn't get it right if you ask me nor find a new and better way to announce an episode. It was almost cartoonish.
Old 09-19-02, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wow ... I thought The Twilight Zone was horrible. The Soylent Green episode to premiere the series was absolutely horrid, and the Death episode wasn't much better (though Jason Alexander gave an excellent performance).

What's the worst about this show is that it bears no resemblence to the original. Aside from boring stories, the compelling direction, the unique camera-work, the haunting presence of Serling ... it's nowhere to be found. I love Whittaker, but he's so wrong for this.

You know how they use horror movie franchises to give new directors a chance to do something? You know how the sequels always suck? This is what we have here. Using the guise of The Twilight Zone to get viewers to tune into something that really bears no resemblance to the original.

das