Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Review Wanted: Zorro Superbit Deluxe

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Old 09-17-02, 11:45 AM
dgc
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can't find a review on this disc. Anyone?
Old 09-17-02, 11:53 AM

only link i found with a review...

http://timefordvd.com/dvd/review/MaskOfZorro.shtml
Old 09-18-02, 01:41 PM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
it should be noted that the above mentioned link is a review of the regular Collector's Edition and not the Superbit edition.
Old 09-19-02, 08:08 AM

oh ok ty i sorry it said superbit.... i was tricked... sorry bout that...
Old 09-21-02, 08:10 AM
dgc
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

bump
Old 09-24-02, 11:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
http://dvdauthority.com/maskofzorrosb.asp
Old 09-28-02, 02:51 PM

Originally posted by Sweet Baby James
http://dvdauthority.com/maskofzorrosb.asp

ty for the post of the link. looks like i may pick this dvd up instead fo getting the SE
Old 09-29-02, 12:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It has been a long time since I watched Zoro on DVD, so I do not remember how good or bad the video was.

I did go out and buy Zoro on "Superbit" because I really love the movie and always wanted to own it. On my 27 inch TV I can honestly say could not find one defect on the video quality. The faces were clear and sharper than I have ever seen in a DVD. No edge enhancements and no grain in the video. The blacks seem to be fantastic. That does not mean "Superbit" made it better, it could have been awesome before. I all really know is that the video is reference quality.

The sound is fun to listen to. Lots of sound of the crowds, the sound makes the sword duels even more exciting and the explosions are out of this world.

I can't wait to see this on a bigger HDTV screen, then I could really see details in the video.
Old 09-29-02, 12:46 AM
Banned

Really stunning!
Worth rebuying if you already own the 1st two editions.
Old 10-02-02, 09:13 AM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
I really had doubted that the Superbit edition would supercede the non-SB "Special Edition" version. But, wow! The picture is solid and the DTS track is louder, more forceful and brings out the myriad sounds that the soundtrack has to offer.
Old 10-03-02, 12:51 AM

would you please change the title?

Please change the title of the thread in "Mask of Zorro"!

I thought the older ('70's ) movie "Zorro" with Alain Delon was released - finally! - in better conditions... when in fact, you were referring to that Banderas film...
Old 10-03-02, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
dvdfile.com now has a review up for the Superbit of The Mask of Zorro.

http://www.dvdfile.com/software/revi...orror_sbd.html

Video
Within this Superbit Deluxe Edition there are two DVDs. Disc one offers the film's original aspect ratio of 2.35:1 and is presented in anamorphic video. Unfortunately, as with many other Superbit DVDs, this Columbia Tristar Home Entertainment disc is still flawed with edge halos, but they are a fraction of how they appeared in the two previous releases. In my first set of comparative screencaps, Zorro is seen against a gray sky at 7:56. Notice that the thickness of the halos has been reduced, as have their amplitudes; yet, they are still present. I was hopeful when I reviewed Anaconda Superbit and found halos very much subdued – almost invisible - that it might have been the start of a trend. Alas, it was not to be.

Halos aside, the highly detailed transfer admired in the original releases has been subtly bested here. Small object detail, like the many faces in the early mob scene as the three peasants are staked for execution, is somewhat improved (but this may be more attributable to the reduction of halos). Have a look at the screencaps of the medallion Zorro hangs around the young Murrieta's neck as found at 9:46; notice that the improved level of detail is modest but visible. Colors remain splendid. Bright, colorful fabrics are vividly painted to the screen without any noticeable chroma noise. Brightness and contrast are first-rate; dark scenes such as the night Alejandro steals the new Tornado sport fine shadow detail. I did not notice any compression artifacts. Of the three versions, this Superbit is clearly the winner.

Sound
You'll find two 5.1 tracks here, one in Dolby Digital and the other in DTS. Each is outstanding. Surround effects are very aggressive, and even though this disc does not contain an official EX mix, it decodes perfectly into a center surround. Particularly impressive is the opening sequence in which the viewer is drawn into the screaming crowd. With EX decoding enabled, I was more convincingly immersed. Deep, deep bass runs through the film; only the most capable subwoofer will deliver the sonic fireworks with any authority. James Horner's very fine score, blending Flamenco and unusual wind instruments with his stirring orchestrations, is presented with a revealing fidelity and great impact across a broad soundstage. The dialog remains completely clear throughout, never overwhelmed by the dynamic mix of sound effects and music. Very well done.

As for the DTS track, after careful amplitude equalization, I found the DTS track to offer the same enveloping audio experience, but with a subtle improvement in timbre and an ever so slightly more aggressive bass line. Each track is excellent, but I would have to award the DTS track the status of better of the two. A very fine audio track.
Old 10-03-02, 01:26 PM

I just watched this last night on my 16X9 57" Toshiba. The details are stunning! Much better than the original release. The sound track also rocks.

Go to E-Bay or Half.Com and sell your old release. This one is a much better catch.