Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

New Halo 2 info and scan...

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 09-16-02, 09:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just found a scan from an upcoming Halo 2 feature in the European gaming magazine EDGE . There's lots of new info including the following:

1. There will be three new versions of the Warthog which include a Jungle hog, an Arctic hog (with four treads instead of tires) and a troop carrier that looks similar to the Warthog but with a flatbed taking the place of the gatling gun.

2. There will be a new Covenant vehicle that is the functional equivalent of the Warthog called the Shadow.

3. There will be a highly maneuverable ATV (four wheeler).

4. The A.I is getting a complete overhaul that will allow the enemies to make even more intelligent use of the environment and use teamwork.

5. There will be a lot more outdoor environments.

6. You will begin the game on Earth but will eventually make your way back to the Covenant homeworld.

7. There is a new Covenant unit in the game called the Prophet. In fact, the Covenant name comes from the union forged between the political/thinker/leader Prophets and the muscle/shock troop Elites.

8. There will also be a completely new alien race introduced in Halo 2.

9. There are several new weapons including an improved sniper rifle and a submachine gun that fires caseless ammo. They mention that the scope on the sniper rifle contains more polygons than the entire Master Chief model.

I've included a link to one of the scans below. Unfortunately, the other scans which had pictures of all the new Warthogs have already been removed from the site. I'm sure all this will show up in other mags soon. I believe the alien pictured in the bottom right corner is the new species introduced in Halo 2. Needless to say, I can hardly wait for this game.

perso.wanadoo.fr/draikin2/halo2page.jpg

and here's a link to a scan of the cover:

perso.wanadoo.fr/draikin2/halo2cover.jpg
Old 09-16-02, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Where the sky is always Carolina Blue! (Currently VA - again...)
Re: New Halo 2 info and scan...

Originally posted by Tamrok

4. The A.I is getting a complete overhaul that will allow the enemies to make even more intelligent use of the environment and use teamwork.

Thanks for the info. Guess this means no more watching Elites dive off cliffs to escape grenades ;p

Tuan Jim
Old 09-16-02, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old 09-17-02, 02:39 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,788 Likes on 1,116 Posts
Sounds great!

As long as "THE FLOOD" are history I'm a happy guy.
Old 09-17-02, 06:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Giantrobo
Sounds great!

As long as "THE FLOOD" are history I'm a happy guy.
Well, as long as they didn't stowaway on a Covenant craft, they all got toasted at the end of the first game. I mean, it seemed pretty clear from Spark and all that Halo was the only place they were still being preserved from extinction.

Tuan Jim
Old 09-17-02, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Both of the links appear to be dead
Old 09-17-02, 11:02 AM

Originally posted by Copenhagen
Both of the links appear to be dead
Yeah, looks like you're right. Sorry about that. I suppose the lawyers came down on the site for breaking the news embargo on Halo 2. I'm sure the scans are still out there somewhere if you look hard enough. Or you can just wait a week or so for the magazines to come out.
Old 09-17-02, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Next year is gonna be a long, long wait. Sigh.
Old 09-17-02, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,788 Likes on 1,116 Posts
Originally posted by Tuan Jim
Well, as long as they didn't stowaway on a Covenant craft, they all got toasted at the end of the first game. I mean, it seemed pretty clear from Spark and all that Halo was the only place they were still being preserved from extinction.

Tuan Jim
I know this.

Thanks anyway
Old 09-18-02, 02:01 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I can't even load the game anymore after using it this long.Next year.....
Old 09-18-02, 11:23 AM

Here's more info from CVG which reiterates what I mentioned above:

15:36 No-one could have predicted the impact Halo has made on console gaming since its release last November, and one shudders to think where Xbox, after difficult starts in Japan and Europe, would be without Bungie's masterpiece.
But ten months on and Halo is still one of the most enjoyed, beloved titles on any format, and even the slightest shadow of a mention of the sequel is seized upon by fans like starving vultures stabbing their claws into a still-warm corpse.

Fevered cravings were momentarily sated by the recent teaser trailer, which promised the Earth but in truth delivered very little other than a moody cut-scene, but the mists of obfuscation have lifted and the impenetrable gates of Fort Bungie opened as the first concrete details of Halo 2 are released.

Bungie's focus is very simple: to build on what made Halo such a great game, with particular attention paid to AI and environments. One of the few, though oft heard criticisms levelled at Halo was the frequent repetition of environments in sections of the game. For the sequel, a far wider range of environments will feature, a structural detail and design will be expanded and improved to avoid the problems of the original.

Notwithstanding the highly laudable AI of the first game, Bungie is setting its sights on greater things, re-writing this element of the software to create a deeper, more cerebral experience. Rather than single enemies responding to your actions, in Halo 2 entire squads of enemies will co-ordinate to attack, making full use of whatever environmental features and vehicles may lie nearby.

And you'll have to familiarise yourself with an entirely new, non-Covenant species known as Brutes, which will function in a similar way to the Flood in Halo. But to your advantage, new weapons and vehicles are ready for action. A new sniper rifle and machine gun are available, and, as with the first game, the emphasis is on balance rather than quantity or willy-waving pyrotechnics.

And if you had fun thrashing across terrain in the Wart Hog, look forward to even greater off-road delights as Snow Hog (sealed cockpit with doors), Jungle Hog (camouflage design with protective bars), and Troop Hog (transport for six) join the line-up. And the addition of these vehicles will doubtless have an impact on the multiplayer side of the game.

Speaking of which, Halo 2 will naturally be fully supported by Microsoft's Xbox Live service, with Bungie's focus on recreating the tension of the one-player experience online. To whit, squad-based fighting and co-operation is emphasised rather than wayward, isolated deathmatches.

One of the great strengths of the original was its constantly engaging sci-fi narrative, and Halo 2 shouldn't disappoint. Halo frequently hinted at wider issues of greater import, and Halo 2 promises to delve deeper into the mystery of the Covenant and its assault on humanity.

The Master Chief and the Cortana take centre stage once again. After the events of Halo, the Master Chief returned to Earth, but the Covenant continued its relentless attack on our species, wiping out the last remaining human colonies before homing in on its ultimate target: Earth.

Master Chief is therefore required to journey into the very heart of the Covenant's empire to avoid the destruction of the human race. As players progress through the game, details of how the Covenant functions will become apparent. For instance, you discover their society is split into two faction: Elites (military) and Prophets (religion and politics), with Halo 2 giving us the first sight of the spiritual side of their species.

Excited? Of course you are, as is the rest of the world. The pressure on Bungie to come up with the goods must be almost unbearable, but early signs are highly encouraging. With a current release date of winter 2003, there's a way to go yet, but it will surely be worth the wait...

Johnny Minkley

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/front_index.php
Old 09-18-02, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Winter 2003. Halo 2 and Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King. After that I can die in peace.
Old 09-18-02, 03:59 PM
Shawn

Did they push it back?? I thought Halo2 was supposed to come out in Summer2003.
Old 09-18-02, 04:23 PM

Originally posted by Shawn
Did they push it back?? I thought Halo2 was supposed to come out in Summer2003.
No, it was always slated for next Christmas. Must have been wishful thinking on your part.
Old 09-18-02, 04:45 PM
Shawn

No, it was always slated for next Christmas. Must have been wishful thinking on your part.
, it must have been.
Old 09-20-02, 02:46 PM

Yet more new info about Halo 2 from the upcoming EGM:

Destructible Environments - Windows, columns, doorframes will splinter and shatter when they take enough damage

Hide n Seek - Shoot lights out and hide in the shadows to take out the Covenant

Run - Master Chief now has the ability to pull down his gun and go into a full sprint

Lean around corners - Master Chief can look around corners, but cannot shoot around them

More Flying Vehicles - No pictures, but it does mention more flying vehicles

Low Gravity Levels - You will fight on a moon level with low gravity, there will also probably be a moon buggy

This game sounds better by the minute...
Old 09-20-02, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yet more new info about Halo 2 from the upcoming EGM:

Destructible Environments - Windows, columns, doorframes will splinter and shatter when they take enough damage

Yesss. Finally. This will kick serious ass.

Tuan Jim
Old 09-24-02, 12:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Blowout preview in EGM. Tons of pages with tons of new info...

Release will be early 2004 after PGR2
New vehicles
The Flood will return
Guilty Spark will return
There will be another Halo
It's gonna be like Halo on fire wrapped in bacon.

If anyone wants more info, let me know.
Old 09-24-02, 08:54 AM

2004 is too long of a wait. A new console will be out by then.
Old 09-24-02, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by gross@iastate
2004 is too long of a wait. A new console will be out by then.
Then I'll get whatever console I'll need to play it on.
Old 09-24-02, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by Trigger
Blowout preview in EGM. Tons of pages with tons of new info...

Release will be early 2004 after PGR2
New vehicles
The Flood will return
Guilty Spark will return
There will be another Halo
It's gonna be like Halo on fire wrapped in bacon.

If anyone wants more info, let me know.
I don't know where EGM got their info. Bungie said the game is due out November 2003. Of course, it's a pretty long ways off, and it's not like you can accurately predict things like these down to the week.
Old 09-24-02, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by tha_dvd_man
I don't know where EGM got their info. Bungie said the game is due out November 2003. Of course, it's a pretty long ways off, and it's not like you can accurately predict things like these down to the week.
You're right - I must've gotten it confused with something else I had read - It's coming Winter 2003. The information they had was based on interviews with Bungie. There's lots of story elements revealed and a ton of cool pictures of concept vehicles and whatnot. It's a huge piece on Halo 2. I hadn't slept when I posted that last thing. Sorry if I confused anyone. My bad.