Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

REMINDER: With the Fall Season now upon us, please be respectful with the spoilers

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

REMINDER: With the Fall Season now upon us, please be respectful with the spoilers

Old 09-16-02, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know we have the sticky, but if you're like me, your eyes are pretty trained to ignore that thread when looking for the new stuff. As one of the more anal members of the forum, I'd like to just place a friendly reminder that many of us watch these shows time-delayed. Please take care to date your threads so people know what episode is being discussed and keep episode content out of the actual thread titles. A more detailed guide on how to and when to can be found in the sticky thread.

Thanks in advance,
das
Old 09-16-02, 09:39 AM
dek
DVD Talk Legend

Location: On the road to reclaiming Lord Stanleys Cup, Turlock CA
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
[Triumph Voice]Here's a spoiler.............you will all die alone![/Triumph Voice]

Old 09-16-02, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

"Which of these buttons calls your mom to come pick you up?"

das
Old 09-16-02, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I don't think Triumph had a mom.
Old 09-16-02, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Another joke lost on poor Patman.

das
Old 09-16-02, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Great idea to post this reminder, das!

I too am one of the pickier members of the board, and despise spoilers in any form. It is for that reason that I tend to shy away from TV Talk during the regular tv season - people just rampantly post spoilers, whether through ignorance or egocentrism. I will concede that most of the time it's done innocently, but imo there really is no excuse if you realize that the world doesn't watch what you watch when you watch it. Some (many) of us timeshift.

We're just asking for a little bit of consideration - assume no one has seen it and you'll be safe. Of course if the thread title has the name of the show and is dated, put all the spoilers you want about that episode within the thread without spoiler tags. But keep in mind that next week's episode is NOT considered part of this week's episode for many of us, so any content from next week's teaser should be within spoiler tags within this week's thread.

Thank you in advance for your consideration - we REALLY appreciate it!!!
Old 09-24-02, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

^

Since some people need reminding. Please. I very much want to participate in the discussion of these episodes, so if you know something about FUTURE episodes, please put it in tags. PLEASE.

das
Old 09-24-02, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Show some sympathy to those of us with TiVo. Thank you.
Old 09-24-02, 11:51 PM
My Generosity Is Legendary

Originally posted by das Monkey
^

Since some people need reminding. Please. I very much want to participate in the discussion of these episodes, so if you know something about FUTURE episodes, please put it in tags. PLEASE.

das
Though you didn't say it specifically, that should include the little teasers they do.
"Stay tuned for scenes from next weeks episode..." usually is my cue to shut it off/turn the channel.
Thanks!
Old 09-25-02, 08:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

• Quoth Pac-Rat •<HR SIZE=1>Though you didn't say it specifically, that should include the little teasers they do.
"Stay tuned for scenes from next weeks episode..." usually is my cue to shut it off/turn the channel.
Thanks!
<HR SIZE=1>

Absolutely. I didn't want to reproduce the spoiler guide so much as remind people to look at it. But you're completely right.

das
Old 09-25-02, 01:18 PM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 575 Likes on 334 Posts
To bad Captain Archer dies in next week's Enterprise.

Oh. That was a spoiler, wasn't it?

Old 09-25-02, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Bandoman
To bad Captain Archer dies in next week's Enterprise.
Yeah, but they just go back in time (off-screen of course), and bring him back to life.
Old 09-26-02, 12:14 PM

Originally posted by skar
Show some sympathy to those of us with TiVo. Thank you.
Yeah.. you should be using ReplayTV instead!
Old 10-02-02, 03:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Just wanted to say valiant attempt, das, but unfortunately the spoilers have already started just two weeks into the fall season. And they've already found themselves to the thread titles, which signals my hasty retreat from TV Talk. See you guys around.
Old 10-02-02, 07:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

• Quoth WarriorPrincess •<HR SIZE=1>Just wanted to say valiant attempt, das, but unfortunately the spoilers have already started just two weeks into the fall season. And they've already found themselves to the thread titles, which signals my hasty retreat from TV Talk. See you guys around. <HR SIZE=1>

It's a shame as I enjoy reading this place. I've learned to avoid threads on shows like Buffy, since people don't even try and get pissed off when you ask them to stop. Respect for your fellow posters ... how hard is it? Really?

das
Old 10-02-02, 12:27 PM
Admin Emeritus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Okay, I understand the desire to avoid spoilers... but is the announcement of a casting decision such a huge spoiler? You have no idea in what capacity the person was cast. You have no idea how the casting decision affects the plot. I'd honestly like to know how much knowing a casting decision affects people's enjoyment of television shows. Is it even a spoiler to say that there's going to be a "special guest star?", because now people will be anxiously waiting throughout the entire episode for the special guest star?

As always, if you see spoilers, please report them and we can fix them up.
Old 10-02-02, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I would imagine she's referring to the spoiler-ish episode titles, but I don't know. I certainly don't have a problem with the thread you're talking about. She may also be refering to the multiple spoilers that have found their way into the Buffy threads. I don't know how many more there are as I haven't clicked on a Buffy thread since I was told key information about this season a few threads back. It's not worth the effort to have things spoiled for me just so I can report them. By then it's too late. We had this problem last year, we asked people to be respectful, we asked again at the beginning of this year, and it didn't work. Better to just avoid the threads.

Nearly everyone on the forum is good about it, but enough just don't care that it ruins the whole thing. And it's clear those of us trying to avoid spoilers are in the minority. It doesn't take a genius to see which regular posters suddenly disappear when the Fall season begins. It's just not worth the hassle to fight with everyone over it week after week.

das