Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

What the hell is this CRAP on Saturday Mornings? Where are the cartoons, redux

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-02, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What the hell is this CRAP on Saturday Mornings? Where are the cartoons, redux

We're surfing the channels right now. It's 9:30 am on a Saturday morning. So far we've found QVC, a bunch of vietnamese kids singing happily about their paper butterflies, a talking head expounding on how evil Hussein is, some bizarre Xuxa-mexican Sesame Street, a bad Cher movie, and golfing.

What the hell?

Phew! Thank the gods for Cartoon Network and their Looney Tunes.

Honestly, what do people do without cable? They'd get suck non-cartoonish programming every Saturday.
Old 09-14-02, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I miss the violent cartoons of the 80's full of fighting, violence and mayhem. And in the first few episodes of GI Joe you could see people getting killed. Then they changed it to people shooting into the air and no one getting killed.
Old 09-14-02, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
I dunno, call me a sucker for the current TNBC line-up (soon to be defunct). Just Deal and City Guys......i don't go out of my way to watch them, but if I'm up, its good entertainment.
Old 09-14-02, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I imagine Saturday morning cartoons don't matter for anyone anymore because they have cartoons every day of the week at all hours. They were special for us because it was really the only time except those few hours after school (when most of us were doing homework cuz we actually had values back then too) that we could see cartoons. Just a further example of the "I want it right this second" attitude prevelant today.

I just wish the cartoon network would quit wasting air time with some of the garbage they show and put some of those old saturday morning cartoons on. Don't they realize that all us kids from back then are grown up now and just itching for some nostalgia. Where's Dungeons and Dragons? I want The Smurfs at a time I can actually watch them. I can't even think of any others but I know there's a bunch out there I'd love to see again.

~Scheherazade
Old 09-14-02, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
the Saturday morning cartoon age died a long time ago. NBC really stopped caring. they figured they would throw on sports and it was all good. but for the most part, all of the Sat. morn. cartoon stations just stopped caring about that demographic and time slot.
Old 09-14-02, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I remember how cool to was to see the "promos" for the new seasons at the end of the Saturday Comics page or inserted into comic books of the day.

Dungeons and Dragons was the best of them all...glad I was a kid when I was a kid
Old 09-14-02, 08:10 PM

I remember and loved D&D, Starcade (not a cartoon but I think it fit), the various Scooby Doo series, and all the others. It made Saturdays special growing up. I browse about Yesterdayland.com and feel nostalgic.
Old 09-15-02, 12:51 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
I just watch the new Kirby show...too much of the Anime ad such I can't get into.
Old 09-15-02, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

We didn't have cable growing up, so Saturday was fun for me. I knew it was all over when sports and Soul Train would come on.

D&D came on briefly on FOX to coincide with the release of the D&D movie.
Old 09-15-02, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Just watched new Scooby Doo series on WB, while I expected worse it sadly still alludes them why does not hold candle to first few nearly 40 years ago (
What was cool was they honored show enough to get some original voices back, like shaggy and freddy. They used few of old sound effects with updated beat which was not bad. Still missing was any sense of atmosphere, mood, that first few set. Nothing remotely scary and setting felt like cookie cutter to way better snow ghost episode of past. They spent so much time saying words like "dvds, cell phones, cool, rad, and blaring heavy music I shocked my migrane was not worse, lol. Given how much retro is in and things like that 70s show, dont know why they felt they had take people from different time period and shove them down our "rad cool throats'. Well glad I have dvds at least, speaking of which about time they release more of those )
Old 09-15-02, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 723 Likes on 528 Posts
Originally posted by madara
Just watched new Scooby Doo series on WB, while I expected worse it sadly still alludes them why does not hold candle to first few nearly 40 years ago (
What was cool was they honored show enough to get some original voices back, like shaggy and freddy.
sadly, velma and daphne sounded awful. wb is the only network with worthwhile cartoons. i mark for Jackie Chan Adventures.. i thought the opening with jade as trinity (matrix) was funny. (i'm still waiting to see the episode i'm animated as a character). i can stomach Pokemon and i really started getting into Yu-Gi-Oh storyline. Static Shock is not bad. X-Men is ok too.
Old 09-15-02, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Try Boomerang, Cartoon Network's sister station, for some real oldies.
Old 09-16-02, 12:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Prime Time specials seem to have gone the way of the Saturday Morning cartoons too. I remember how excited I'd get when I saw that spinning neon "SPECIAL" on the screen with the drums playing. It meant I got to stay up an hour later and see cartoons at night when grown-up TV was supposed to be on!

~Scheherazade