Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Are there any R4 websites selling R2 discs?

International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Old 09-14-02, 05:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone know of any R4 retailers that sell R2 DVDs? I find that buying from Australia, for example, is much cheaper than buying from Europe (I'm in the U.S.).
Old 09-14-02, 08:11 AM

some australian releases are region 2 AND 4 coded.

But what's wrong with R4. can you play R1 (you're in the us so i assume you can) and R2 but not R4?
Old 09-14-02, 08:29 AM

Originally posted by sunny crockett
some australian releases are region 2 AND 4 coded.

But what's wrong with R4. can you play R1 (you're in the us so i assume you can) and R2 but not R4?
I have a code-free player, so that's not the problem. For example, Hong Kong Legends (UK) releases either R0 or R2 DVDs and would prefer to not pay the cost of euros. If I could get the R2 versions in Australia, they would cost me alot less. It's a cost issue rather than one of compatibility.
Old 09-14-02, 09:33 AM

SO what you are therefore asking is not whether you can buy R2 DVDs in Australia (no, because that would breach the Copyright Act unless the Australian copyright owner consented) but whether you can buy Hong Kong Legends discs in Oz (the answer is I'm not sure)...
Old 09-14-02, 09:35 AM

ah ok,
i think australian shops only sell australian releases.

uk shop bensonsworld ships worlwide and has some good offers. shipping is about $2.75 to the us, i think....
Old 09-14-02, 09:38 AM

Originally posted by samuelowens
SO what you are therefore asking is not whether you can buy R2 DVDs in Australia (no, because that would breach the Copyright Act unless the Australian copyright owner consented)...
Actually, that's exactly what I was asking, but I honestly never gave the copyright issue a thought. Point well-taken.
Old 09-14-02, 09:48 AM

Originally posted by MarkAtHome
I have a code-free player, so that's not the problem. For example, Hong Kong Legends (UK) releases either R0 or R2 DVDs and would prefer to not pay the cost of euros. If I could get the R2 versions in Australia, they would cost me alot less. It's a cost issue rather than one of compatibility.
Ah, I see. You think you might get a currency break by buying from a place where the dollar is stronger. Unfortunately, it doesn't work like that, because the point of origin determines the price. Those Aussie dealers will still have to import the R2 stuff, and in order to make a profit, you'll still have to pay the higher price. The best example of this is Japanese dvds, which are overpriced no matter where you live, or where you buy them.
Old 09-14-02, 09:02 PM

Originally posted by Nocturnaloner
... Those Aussie dealers will still have to import the R2 stuff, and in order to make a profit, you'll still have to pay the higher price. ...
In the rare cases where parallel imports are permitted in Australia, the prices are still lower (I guess for the same reasons why Canadian R1s are cheaper than US R1s - that's the price the market will bear).
Old 09-15-02, 01:41 PM

Originally posted by samuelowens
In the rare cases where parallel imports are permitted in Australia, the prices are still lower
And that's the thing, it's so uncommon, that I just get my UK stuff from Benson's or Blackstar, and my other R2s from US importers like diabolikdvd or luminous.