Search this Thread

Old 09-13-02, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,883 Likes on 1,239 Posts
:cries: Panzer Dragoon Orta reportedly delayed

...at least according to Planet XBox.

Panzer Dragoon Orta Delayed
Friday, September 13, 17:33 | Talon |

Don’t kill the messenger, it’s a saying that really should be taken to heart today as we’ve received word from Sega that Panzer Dragoon Orta has been pushed back. Initially slated for release in November, the game was pushed back to January 2003. The reason behind this shocking move was that Sega wants to continue to add content to the game and, sufficed to say, this is something they couldn’t do with if they’d stuck to the November release. The official word is below.
"SEGA decided to delay the release of 'Panzer Dragoon ORTA' in order to continue adding innovative features and content to the game and its stunning back story," said Mike Fischer, vice president, entertainment marketing, SEGA of America.
Expect more news on PDO as its release draws closer.
Old 09-13-02, 08:24 PM
Shawn

Old 09-13-02, 08:54 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
It's always better to have a game delayed and done right rather than rushed out the door.
Old 09-13-02, 09:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Well I guess I can put the Xbox in the closet until January. This was the only Xbox I was really looking forward to. I'm sure it will be an awesome game when its finally released. I'd rather have the delay and it be a classic than it be rushed and have flaws or be too short.
Old 09-13-02, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I thought we already knew this?
Old 09-13-02, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
This and Brute Force (early 2003 now)...
Old 09-13-02, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

On the plus side - this only means that they will be spending more time making sure the game is ready and good instead of releasing crap like Bruce Lee.
Old 09-13-02, 10:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Maybe they're reconsidering and adding online play.
Old 09-14-02, 01:04 AM
Retired

Damn, that's a blow to the holiday line up. But it will probably be worth it as they game should be better for it.
Old 09-14-02, 01:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
maybe they are going multiconsole with it

I can always hope since I would not mind picking up a copy for my PS2
Old 09-14-02, 01:29 AM
Retired

Well there is the rumor of Sega being bought ala Rare by one of the three console companies. So if it's Sony or Nintendo that could have something to do with it.

Though that's just random speculation and I doubt even if Sega gets bought that it would affect Panzer Dragoon. I mean Rare getting bought isn't affecting Star Fox Adventures as far as I know.
Old 09-14-02, 01:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by Josh Hinkle
Well there is the rumor of Sega being bought ala Rare by one of the three console companies. So if it's Sony or Nintendo that could have something to do with it.

Though that's just random speculation and I doubt even if Sega gets bought that it would affect Panzer Dragoon. I mean Rare getting bought isn't affecting Star Fox Adventures as far as I know.
no but it could cause a game to go to more than one console especially if the contract gives them some wiggle room.

I would be shocked if Sega was bought although who knows in this new cutthroat world of high finance consoles
Old 09-14-02, 01:48 AM
Retired

Gamers.com has the news on it being delayed as well.

http://www.gamers.com/news/1237399

Actually gcribbs, I wouldn't be all that surprised if Sega got bought.

I think it's more likely that it will be a partnership type thing with Sega owning 49% of the shares and the other company 51 or vice versa. If the Rare sell goes through (which will give nintendo some extra cash) I wouldn't be shocked if they bought a large stake in Sega or another developer to make up for losing Rare.
Old 09-14-02, 01:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't know where you guys are coming up with multiconsole and Sega being bought out and Rare... if you read the first post:

"SEGA decided to delay the release of 'Panzer Dragoon ORTA' in order to continue adding innovative features and content to the game and its stunning back story,"

Sounds pretty cut and dry to me. It's being delayed to add innovative features and content. They said nothing about Rare or Sony or Nintendo or multiconsole or bankruptcy or merger or anything... even between the lines. You crazy kids and your wild ideas.
Old 09-14-02, 02:08 AM
Retired

Like I said, it was just random speculation.

It is odd timing though. MS can't be happy at losing one of there more promising X-mas games though, and you think they'd pressure them to get it out before the holidays.
That's why I thought popped into my head.

Plus sega being bought is somewhat plausible as they were in deep financial trouble with the dreamcast, and none of there third party games (sports aside) has sold super well. Sonic 2 sold well on the Gamecube, and the Super Monkey Ball games did ok, but none were even close to being million sellers. Plus you have Jet Set Future, that hasn't even cracked 100,000 in the U.S.

But it's all just random speculation to liven up a thread that would have otherwise sunk like a stone after a few "aw man that sucks" replies.
Old 09-14-02, 02:22 AM
Mod Emeritus

It's funny when people automatically think that MS will make Rare push games out the door and here they are delaying a game to make it better.
Old 09-14-02, 02:23 AM
Mod Emeritus

Sega and Nintendo? No way, no how.
Old 09-14-02, 02:24 AM
Mod Emeritus

Originally posted by gcribbs
maybe they are going multiconsole with it
Oops you forgot to asterisk this.
Old 09-14-02, 03:53 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by gcribbs
no but it could cause a game to go to more than one console especially if the contract gives them some wiggle room.

I would be shocked if Sega was bought although who knows in this new cutthroat world of high finance consoles
Sega spent years in the red before they backed out of the console business. I don't think they had a profitable year between the Genesis and the end of the Dreamcast. They're sitting on a mountain of debt.

Nonetheless, they're a pretty proud company, and I'd be a bit surprised, but not shocked if somebody bought them, or at least bought a chunk of them.
Old 09-14-02, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by darkside
Well I guess I can put the Xbox in the closet until January.
Same here. My "I can't wait until the holidays" plea is turning into "early 2003/spring".
Old 09-14-02, 11:10 AM
Shawn

As long as they don't delay Splinter Cell, I'll still have something to play this holiday season.
Old 09-14-02, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

This game is an Xbox exclusive. Even if Sega joins another console I think this game has to stay an exclusive and Sega still has to produce all 11 games in their agreement with MS. This is just a case of a game not being ready and Sega giving the developer another three months to finish it.

I think they see just how big this game could be for Sega and they want it to be polished.

Last edited by darkside; 09-14-02 at 11:47 AM.
Old 09-14-02, 12:46 PM
Retired

Originally posted by Gallant Pig
Sega and Nintendo? No way, no how.
I beg to differ. If Sega forms any kind of partnership (i.e. sells a large chunk of shares) to any of the console makers it will be Nintendo.

The reasons being:

1. It's the platform most of there games will sell the best on. Cartoony games like Sonic and Super Monkey Ball sold well on the GCN, probably better than they would have on the PS2 and definitely better that it would have on the X-box with it's older "Mature" game loving fanbase. However,this partnership would not make all Sega games exclusive to Nintendo (or whoever buys them). The sports games would definitely remain multiplatform, as that's how they can make the most money on them. That basically only leaves their goofy niche market titles like Jet Set Radio/Future, Shenmue etc., which don't really matter in the issue of a sell as they haven't, nor are ever likely, to sell very well.

2. They already have a partnership with Nintendo on the Triforce board and Nintendo is letting them develop F-zero, much like how they let Rare use their franchises.

3. Nintendo needs to replace Rare, so they need Sega more than MS or Sony, plus they have a chunck of change from the Rare sale to invest in buying a large share of Sega or another devloper. I'd prefer something like Capcom myself as I'm not much of a Sega fan.
Old 09-14-02, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I know people want to spin it otherwise, but why would this be a huge blow to X-Box? Since when was Panzer Dragoon a major system seller or marquee title? The vast majority of its fanbase are likely the hardcore who will buy it at any time, not just when their mommies are picking up their Xmas gifts. Hopefully "adding content" means they are making the game longer, which has been the one (IMHO) problem with all prior PD games.
Old 09-14-02, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by ipkevin
Since when was Panzer Dragoon a major system seller or marquee title?
The Xbox has very few exclusives to get excited about. This was the best exclusive of the holiday season. With it gone (and I guess Brute Force as well) there isn't a lot to get excited about now with the exception of Splinter Cell.

Maybe Panzer Dragoon wouldn't have been a big deal to most Xbox owners (none of the Sega games have sold well), but to many of the long time gamers on this forum it definitely is. We all remember how great the previous titles were and could see from the trailers that this game will be great as well. So to us it is a big deal.

Last edited by darkside; 09-14-02 at 03:33 PM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.