Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

review wanted: Awakenings

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-02, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
review wanted: Awakenings

i haven't found a single review of this DVD on any review site so maybe someone could tell me how the video/audio quality is on this release. is it adequate or isn't it even worth purchasing even though the list price is only $15.. ?
Old 09-14-02, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

...well... not much help, I know, but the R4 DVD is good enough... since this is a Columbia/Tristar picture, it seems reasonable to assume that the US R1 DVD will be just as good... yes?... no?...

. . . . . .

Last edited by Hendrik; 09-14-02 at 06:45 PM.
Old 09-15-02, 03:20 AM
Uber Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just watched this a couple weeks ago.

Keeping in mind that my setup is not 16:9 capable, I thought the audio and video are more than adequate for the material.

It is anamorphic. The audio is Dolby Surround (or 2.0, don't remember which).

This is a very old release, by the way. The title starts playing the movie immediately (and not the menu screen) and the menu itself consists of scene selection, language and subtitle (Spanish only). On my Toshiba, it the subs come on automatically (using the subtitle or menu options turns them off).

No special features, not even a trailer.

I thought the movie itself was pretty good, made better because it's based on a true story, and more amazing because of that. But having watched it, I think I would have rather rented than bought it. While a good movie, it's not something I would personally want to watch repeatedly. But for fans of the film, it's certainly a good presentation, though the lack of special features is bound to be a dissappointment.

In fact, I'd be willing to trade or sell you my copy if you're interested.

-David

Hope that helps.
Old 09-15-02, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

thanks for the review Blade.

no point in me buying it from you though (or trading it). i'm in Sweden meaning it'd probably cost as much to ship it as the disc is worth itself. thanks anyway!