Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

I just saw my first ep of Sex and The City.

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-02, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 233 Likes on 166 Posts

And I LOVED it! I thought it would be boring but it's awesome

I'm really getting to like HBO. I have Sopranos 1-3, Oz 1, and Sex and the CIty 1-3 all unwatched for my 2-week vacation in October (starting on S&TC early).

Now the question is... should I buy Friends? Never seen an ep and I have $50 left for a DVD

On order/here unwatched:
Simpsons 2, Babylon 5, Farscape 1 ($92!!), Stargate 1-2. I have Buffy 1-2 watched (and watched, and watched, and watched ).

What other TV Shows are there out there? I'm ambivalent on Sportsnight.
Old 09-13-02, 12:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Twin Peaks?
Old 09-13-02, 12:53 PM

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts
Did you just buy your first television?
Old 09-13-02, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 28 Likes on 9 Posts
Never seen a single episode of Friends? Damn...
Old 09-13-02, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 143 Likes on 98 Posts
I'm not a fan of Friends so if given the choice, I would go with Sports Night. By the way, welcome to the world of Sex & The City!
Old 09-13-02, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well this is my first Fall with a TiVo And boxsets are finally coming out.

Oh yeah I forgot "24" is in the mail Saw the first ep and loved it.
Old 09-13-02, 01:58 PM
nny
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well, my 2 favorite dramas ever on TV are Buffy and My So-Called Life. So I'd recommend that, but anotheruniverse.com has the dvd set exclusive and still hasn't shipped it.

As far as comedy goes, I absolutely loved Family Guy, but many hated it. The first season comes out this fall I think.

My 3 favorite dramas last year were Once and Again, Angel, and The Shield. We'll have to wait awhile for Angel, but season 1 of Once and Again is coming this fall and the first season of The Shield is coming to dvd in January.

As for older shows, the only shows from before the 80s that I love are Twilight Zone, The Prisoner, and Monty Python. I'm not sure about Twilight Zone, but I believe the other 2 have their complete runs on dvd.
Old 09-13-02, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Listen to nny; that's a very strong list of shows that are not simply popular but are of the highest quality. You cannot go wrong with any of those series.

I would also recommend SportsNight as one of the best shows in all of television. If you've seen The West Wing, it's essentially the same show without the political storylines and a little heavier on the humor.

das
Old 09-13-02, 02:24 PM

The simple answer of course is just to watch MORE Buffy. Nothing else really matters now, does it?
Old 09-13-02, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

GD,
I agree that you should check out my My So-Called Life. I got the DVD set this summer and it's done really nice.

I personally have never been a fan of Sex & The City, but yes, HBO has some of the best TV happening.
Old 09-13-02, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I say save your money for November when Band of Brothers comes out on DVD. Best war drama I've ever seen. Best mini-series I've ever seen. Probably the best made for TV-anything ever.

I cannot recommend Band of Brothers enough.

Mordred
Old 09-13-02, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Mordred I forgot about that one... preordered two weeks ago
Old 09-13-02, 07:50 PM

The only one you haven't mentioned that I'd add is Angel (the series). If you haven't seen it, it's a spin-off of Buffy, and seasons 1 and 2 are out in regions 2 and 4. I'd definately recommend Friends, but why not watch a few eps on tv before you buy?

It sounds like we have similar vacaton plans. I have a week of no school starting the 23rd AND my kids will be in school/daycare (I have to pay for daycare whether I need it or not, so I might as well use it.) I actually asked my family to time a visit they're planning outside that week because I want to watch tv (I'm such a loser--but I really just want to hang out and watch tv rather than be sociable). I'm gonna watch Brit tv on my vacation (The Grande series 1, Wives and Daughters, The Black Adder, Absolutely Fabulous, and Brideshead Revisited. I might not make it through all of it, but I have a theme. )

tasha
Old 09-13-02, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I AM interested in Angel, and Family Guy, Futurama, E.R., etc., but I will only buy Region 1 because I am NOT paying $100+ for a season of Angel.

There's enough good boxsets out and being released all the time to watch until those others hit the States.
Old 09-14-02, 05:08 AM
nny
DVD Talk Special Edition

Family Guy's coming to region 1 and Angel will come to region 1 after it goes into syndication and that will happen next year or the year after. Normally shows go into syndication after their 5th season, but FX started airing Ally Mcbeal after 4 seasons.

I can't believe in my earlier post, I forgot to mention the TV dvds I already have. It's especially weird considering the Mr. Show dvd and Clerks animated dvd are probably my 2 favorite dvds in my collection. Mr. Show is the funniest sketch show ever and I think the Clerks animated show was funnier than anything else Kevin Smith has done.

Also, in my collection is Roughnecks: Starship Troopers. This show had so much going against it and they still managed to put out one of the best action shows ever. The cg definitely isn't movie quality, but it's better than any other cg I've seen on TV.
Old 09-14-02, 05:39 AM

Originally posted by GatorDeb
I AM interested in Angel, and Family Guy, Futurama, E.R., etc., but I will only buy Region 1 because I am NOT paying $100+ for a season of Angel.

There's enough good boxsets out and being released all the time to watch until those others hit the States.
I paid about $65 for each of my Angel seasons (a little less for season 1). It'll probably go for $45 or so per season when it comes out here if it's like Buffy, but I've watched both seasons twice already, so the extra $20 per set was worth it to me. My big complaint about other region dvds is that you can't loan them out to most people. (although, depending on who wants to borrow them, sometimes this is a good thing.)

tasha
Old 09-14-02, 06:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would love for Angel to come out on DVD. I haven't seen an episode, because I only recently strated watching Buffy, but thanks to syndication, I am totally caught up with Buffy now. I just wish the same option was available with Angel.

I like Friends a lot, especially some of the earlier episodes. My girlfriend wanted both seasons, so I got them for her, but regardless, I would have wanted them anyway. As for SATC, she loves the show, but I am not so gung ho on it, especially the latest season. I don't think that it has much replay value, so I wouldn't get them on DVD, but that is just my opinion..
Old 09-14-02, 06:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Im a big fan of BOTH Buffy and Sex and the City
Old 09-14-02, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
for friends, just watch one or 2 episodes on tbs, and if your hooked, buy the series, if it wasnt your show, then dont get the dvd. also, this sun, you might wanna try, curb your enthousiasms (larry david, creator of seinfeld) and the mind of the married man after the sopranos.
Old 09-14-02, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Each ep gets better and better

My mom walked in during one of the non-so-racier scenes (shadows and contours) and was aghast and wondered what I was watching. That the title was "Sex and the City" didn't help. I wonder what would have happened if she had walked in during THOSE scenes in the Models ep #2

These eps will have lots of replay value I can tell