Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Super Monkey Ball vs Super Monkey Ball 2

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 09-12-02, 10:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I finally just bought a GameCube. I always wanted to buy Super Monkey Ball, but I am not sure if I should just buy the first one or I should just buy the second one. The first one is $29.99, but the second one is $49.

Are the two games pretty much the same? Does the second one has more new features that I should spend that extra $20? Thanks in advance.
Old 09-12-02, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Both games are excellent. Right now I prefer the original, but I still need to unlock several of the minigames in the sequel. I would suggest buying the first game for now since it's cheap. It should be able to tide you over until there's a price drop on the second game, since it has more replay value than just about any game I can think of with so many great multiplayer games.
Old 09-12-02, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

1 is far superior in the single player game, and Monkey Target(my fav tequilla game) is better

2 is more fun multiplayer
Old 09-12-02, 10:48 PM

Originally posted by Thunderball
Monkey Target(my fav tequilla game) is better
Monkey Target is a great game and is the reason I still play the first game even as I am trying to unlock the minigames in the part 2. I was very disappointed with Monkey Target 2, it's terrible compared to the original. I think the original Monkey target is probably the best game in either the original or the sequel, inlcuding the single player games.
Old 09-12-02, 11:00 PM

Thanks for the info. I think I will buy the original and then wait for the price drop on the sequel.

Does the original one has a lot of multi-player games?
Old 09-12-02, 11:17 PM

Originally posted by ottolam
Does the original one has a lot of multi-player games?
It has six multiplayer games, three of which have to be unlocked through the single player game.
Old 09-13-02, 03:47 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I would recommend you buy the first and then wait for the second to go down in price. I just picked up the second after loving the first a few days ago, and while it's a nice change of scenery, the second versions of the games are disappointing.

Monkey Target 1 is great - not too easy, but not too hard. Monkey Target 2 is a joke. You get multiple balls, no skills is involved and scoring is just too damn_easy.

Monkey Race 2 is better than Monkey Race 1, but most people don't play this game as there are few tracks and it gets old quick.

Monkey Fight 1 and 2 are very similar. I think I prefer 2 slightly, but Monkey Fight 1 is still a great game and worth the purchase.

Monkey Bowling 2 adds a few features, but not enough to warrant purchase.

Monkey Golf 2 is very different than Monkey Golf 1. In Monkey Golf 1, it was mini-golf like. 2 or 3 strokes per hole. Monkey Golf 2 has radically changed with clubs that go up to 250 yards. It's fun in it's own way, but Monkey Golf 1 was better.

Games I've unlocked:
Monkey Rafting - Sucks - hard to control with L & R buttons, not much fun.
Monkey Baseball - Great game. Don't know if it's worth the price of SMB2, but once SMB2 goes down to $30-$35, pick it up.
Monkey Tennis - A bit hard to grasp, but fun with 2 players.

All in all, I'd go with the cheap SMB1 - the levels will challenge you for quite a while and the party games can't be beat.

If you can find SMB2 sub-$35 - pick it up. There's new challenges awaiting you and new mini-games that are fun for the most part. I'm happy with SMB2, but a bit disappointed with some of the party games. Right now, I'm sticking with the story mode, trying to work through that. Then I'll concentrate on the party games
Old 09-13-02, 04:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've nothing really to add to this, except to say that the commercial for "Super Monkey Ball 2" is one of the most annoying ever. Thank you.
Old 09-13-02, 07:37 AM

Thanks for all the comments!!!
Old 09-13-02, 07:54 AM

Originally posted by Blake
Monkey Golf 2 is very different than Monkey Golf 1. In Monkey Golf 1, it was mini-golf like. 2 or 3 strokes per hole. Monkey Golf 2 has radically changed with clubs that go up to 250 yards. It's fun in it's own way, but Monkey Golf 1 was better.

Monkey Tennis - A bit hard to grasp, but fun with 2 players.
I just thought I would comment more on these two. I really like both versions of Monkey Golf, but the second one doesn't seem as ridiculously difficult as the first. As for Tennis, it's my favorite multiplayer game so far in Monkey Ball 2. It's great with one or two players, but it's insanely fun with four player doubles.
Old 09-13-02, 08:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Monkey Golf 1 was annoying and the courses were dull, but it doesn't sound like 2 is really any better.

Monkey Bowling 2 is a vast improvement over the original; the wacky lanes and the fact that the monkeys have different attributes makes this my favorite multiplayer game in SMB2.
Old 09-13-02, 09:52 AM

I might as well chime in, since I'm a big supporter of Monkeys in Balls.

For single player: I prefer SMB1 - The tracks are more challenging, and more skill based I feel. Some of the new tracks, just seem much more about luck, or something like hitting a button etc. I like the challenge of narrow, winding courses better(where the more you played, the better your skills got, the easier it was), not the hitting of a button, and pausing the goal where you want it(This seems to be pretty random).

MultiPlayer: Toss up. I prefer the old Monkey Target much better. I prefer SMB2 bowling and golf more. The other mini games such as pool and fighting seem the same. I don't really enjoy the new mini games much, other than baseball. When my friends play, we still play the old SMB1 most the time.

Nice additions though to SMB2

The second one, allows you to unlock gifts after you unlock all the mini games, which consists of 1. adding another monkey to your turn, so you could have 10 monkeys per game credit(maybe higher Im at 10 currently), 2. the video segments from the story mode, 3. or the end credits game. I think this is a nice addition, esp. if there is no limit to how many additional monkeys you can buy, I can imagine having like 99 monkey per continue.. NICE.

Also, now to unlock the extra levels after Beginner/Advanced etc. it's not that you can't die, you can't continue. So unocking the extra levels is much easier, esp. when you factor in the gift of additional monkeys.. Most people should be able to add enough monkeys they can access these levels, which is nice for those not able to on SMB1 because you weren't allowed to die on Beginner or Advanced to do it. You could die on Master, just not continue.

My final word is hold out like these people suggested, surely it will drop in price, plus you have the fun of SMB1 to keep you busy for sometime. SMB2 is def a fun game though .
Old 09-13-02, 09:52 AM

Well, I just want to add that Monkey Dog Fight in SMB2 rocks. I love that game!
Old 09-13-02, 11:05 AM

Originally posted by focker
Monkey Target is a great game and is the reason I still play the first game even as I am trying to unlock the minigames in the part 2. I was very disappointed with Monkey Target 2, it's terrible compared to the original. I think the original Monkey target is probably the best game in either the original or the sequel, inlcuding the single player games.
I'm glad to see other people feel the same way. In my opinion they screwed up target by messing with the physics, sticking all those bananas everywhere and removing the item system. And simultaneous play should have been an option.

It's too bad because it would have been great if they had kept the same physics and item system, but added new levels and added some new features. (I actually think multiple balls is a cool idea)
Old 09-13-02, 11:14 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
It's all been said, but this is one series where there isn't much overlap. You can own both games, and get enjoyment from each of them. You plan to buy SMB1 now and wait on SMB2 is just fine.
Old 09-13-02, 11:40 AM

The thing about Nintendo is, they hardly drop the price on their games unless 1. The game is really bad, or 2. the new sequel comes out.

So, I could imagine SMB2 will stay at $49 forever if Sega is not releasing SMB3.

I guess that is the good thing about PS2 Greatest Hit titles.
Old 09-13-02, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Most of the first gen games are selling for $30 right now.
Old 09-13-02, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by SpaceBoy
I might as well chime in, since I'm a big supporter of Monkeys in Balls.

For single player: I prefer SMB1 - The tracks are more challenging, and more skill based I feel. Some of the new tracks, just seem much more about luck, or something like hitting a button etc. I like the challenge of narrow, winding courses better(where the more you played, the better your skills got, the easier it was), not the hitting of a button, and pausing the goal where you want it(This seems to be pretty random).

I'm the opposite. I love the single player mode in smb2 over smb1. its more orginal, and creative. tracks that get incrediably thin gets boring fast. its challenging but not very orginal. granted some of the levels in smb2 are just pure luck, but there are 150 levels i think out at that least 100 are skillfull and fun.
onto the mini-games:
monkey race: better then orginal. more items (ooo missles) more multi-player fun. but just like the first gets old quick.

monkey fight:better then orginal. i like the collasping stage option plus you can control the size of your glove with the r-trigger button. (lots of fun when the bell tolls)

monkey target: the orginal is 10 times better. it was great skill and honor when i reached 700 points on monkey target 1, monkey target 2 i can get to 8000 points no sweat. no skill, physics are off. great for those who sucked at monkey target 1.

monkey boat: helluva hard. controlling the boat is difficult, my least favorite mini game.

monkey shot: no monkies here. just shooting things solo or with buddies. (think house of the dead, minus zombies, blood, and annoying voice overs)

monkey dogfight: this is helluva fun with friends! you fly thru the air (like target) with gun and pinnapple missles and gun down your buddies. gets old kinda fast.

monkey baseball: i love this game. reminds me of tee ball for some reason. there are ramps you try to aim up to get a home run if not you land in a slot that determines how many bases. (3base hit, out etc)

monkey tennis: its mario tennis. cept you're a monkey in a ball with a racquet some how. best part: hitting your opponent with the tennis ball and knocking them over. (can't get enough)

monkey bowling: better then 1st. adding different skillsets for the players and wacky lanes is a big step up over the first.

monkey golf: its a tie. the first one was like mini golf, wacky courses only a putter. this verision is more like actual golf games. courses are long, multiple clubs, standard course layout.
im not fond of either one

monkey pool: they added more pool game types. but same style hit monkies that are in pool balls

since this is your first time with monkey lovin, get the first, play thru and wait for the price drop of the second. both games have redeming values, i still play both for different things.

my 2.2 cents

Last edited by squidget; 09-13-02 at 11:55 AM.
Old 09-16-02, 10:26 PM

Thanks for all the inputs.
I've got Super Monkey Ball yesterday and finally got a chance to try it tonight. This game is amazingly fun. I spent the whole night playing it. Hopefully, I can unlock the mini games soon.

Now I am looking forward to the price drop / sales on Super Monkey Ball 2.

Thanks again for all the comments, you guys are wonderful!!!
Old 10-14-02, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Question about SMB2. Am I an idiot or is there no competitive mode where four players can play the same level at the same time, not taking turns?
Old 10-14-02, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by ottolam
The thing about Nintendo is, they hardly drop the price on their games unless 1. The game is really bad, or 2. the new sequel comes out.

So, I could imagine SMB2 will stay at $49 forever if Sega is not releasing SMB3.

I guess that is the good thing about PS2 Greatest Hit titles.
Sega sets the price for SMB 1&2 , not Nintendo...

Usually a game is reduced in price when the sales of it drop off. This includes "Greatist hits" collections.