Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Just ordered an Outlaw 950 (AV Pre-Pro)

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-02, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been on the waiting list since March.

I'm expecting a pretty big step up from my current pre-pro -- a Marantz AV-550.

Anyone here have any experience with the 950?
Old 09-10-02, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Just ordered an Outlaw 950 (AV Pre-Pro)

I have been looking at the 950 for a while now, and those who have one in hand rave about about it, but it's actually getting one which is the problem. Seems like that waiting list keeps getting longer, with more and more delays centered around a problem with the hardware. Guess that issue has been resolved now?

What amp are you going to be using with it?
Old 09-10-02, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: Re: Just ordered an Outlaw 950 (AV Pre-Pro)

Originally posted by DVD_O_Rama
Guess that issue has been resolved now?

Most of the accounts by people who have received the fixed version of the 950 have been positive. Most. The 5 year warranty and well-documented customer service helped put me over the edge of pulling the trigger on this purchase.

Originally posted by DVD_O_Rama
What amp are you going to be using with it?
I have a Parasound HCA-855A that I'm currently using for my 5 channels. I also have a dormant Sonographe SA-150 that may get called into duty to power my mains if I decide to add 2 EX/ES rear speakers.
Old 09-10-02, 09:06 PM
Premium Member

I have been to the factory in Malaysia. It is very impressive. I am sure the parent company will take care any problems - they are one of the largest A/V manufactures in the world.
Old 09-10-02, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

At least on paper, this one sounds like a tremendous bargain. I haven't heard any negative reviews on sound quality yet, and for the features offered, it's a steal.
I've been keeping an eye on this one for a while, and if/when I go the ES/EX route, it's gonna be a contender, but without actually having the ability to audition one before buying...it's a risk. I am aware of the return policy, but...I don't know. I'm kind of picky about my audio

Hope to read a full review once you get yours.
Old 09-12-02, 05:50 PM

The only 2 negatives I see with it is that ugly green button and the inabilty to set distance between channels
Old 09-19-02, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Came home to find the 950 waiting for me this evening.

Unhooked everything from my old trusty Marantz AV-550 and insinuated the 950 into its old spot. Hookup and setup (assigning inputs and surround modes, tuner presets, etc.) took a little more than an hour.

It's going to be difficult for me to compare it to the pre-amp it replaced, since I also decided to switch my main speakers over to the Sonographe amp, which is noticably better (mainly at controlling the bass) than the Parasound. So I won't bother. I'll post some kind of a review when I really have a chance to sit down and listen.

For now, here are my first impressions:
  • no hiss (hooray!)
  • look and feel are more than acceptable to me, but I'm both color-blind and not as into a component's looks as some/most
  • the remote is kind of clunky, but good enough that I'm considering not using my RC2000 (MKII) from my out-of-commission Marantz pre-pro; jury's still out, though
  • even though the surround modes are decidedly un-gimmicky -- no "Hall," Jazz," "Jazz Hall," etc.; I probably won't use more than the following: DPLII Music, DPLII Cinema, Stereo (w/bypass), DTS (and ES when I add a speaker or 2), DD (and EX when I add a speaker or 2); sounds like a lot, but it probably represents a third of my choices